Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

CX 777-300ER F vs Qatar A350 J

CX 777-300ER F vs Qatar A350 J

Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Thank you, also super helpful. If I were to change this from CX F to J....between CX J and QR J, would that make you lean even more to QR J?
QR J, with the extra reason that it's always best to be flying the highest class on a plane.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For J, even though iirc QR flys 777s YS-DOH, I like the J B/E Aerospace Diamo d Parallel seats with mattress pad, duvet, etc. For a couple, the middle pair offers aisle access to both.

Onward, the A350 offers the Super Diamond Solo.

My experience has generally been good in CX J, but better food, etc. and often service on QR.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: gate lice
CX F > QR F > QR J > CX J

if you ask me
libertyuk likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by leungy18
CX F > QR F > QR J > CX J if you ask me
Having done them all, I agree with this, but only if QR J on the A350...and in the grand scheme of traveling they are all very good ways to travel.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Is this a trick question?

Of course CX F.

I've been on a number of QR flights in J, but those few times, the crew consistently quite forgetful. Plus, I've had a few also bad experiences transiting through Doha, especially when you've a tight connection.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by 7Continents
Having done them all, I agree with this, but only if QR J on the A350...and in the grand scheme of traveling they are all very good ways to travel.
QR in the reverse herringbone seats or the A350 suites, yeah.

Does QR still fly those 777s with a 2-2-2 configuration?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Locked in some CX JFK-HKG F & J (will look to upgrade that to F) yesterday for our honeymoon in June, which we'll spend in SE Asia. Now I'm working on the return (to BOS ultimately) and the two options I'm looking at are CX HKG-JFK/BOS on the 777-300ER again in F or QR DOH-PHL/BOS on the A350 in J. What's everyone's thought on which to go far (assuming there is availability)?

I'm leaning towards QR because we've never flown them, it's the A350 which we haven't flown yet and to mix it up. But then I know the CX F experience should be pretty awesome...
My suggestion is to stick with F for the better experience, but why limit your choice to CX F and QR J? Also consider JL F and EY F. EY to JFK has the Apartments, which is pretty unique. JL has a terrific F and is worth flying alongside CX for comparison.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
My suggestion is to stick with F for the better experience, but why limit your choice to CX F and QR J? Also consider JL F and EY F. EY to JFK has the Apartments, which is pretty unique. JL has a terrific F and is worth flying alongside CX for comparison.
Ok, I booked us QR J a while back for this. Our honeymoon is ending in Singapore, so our routing home is SIN-DOH-BOS. Both flights are on a QR A359. Just out of curiosity, I started poking around at other options. So, wanted to get a few more opinions as I continue to poke around. Flying CX F to Asia to begin the honeymoon.

Options (BOS is home, but flying into JFK is fine):

1) Keep QR J as-is (slight chance it ends up being a QR A359 with Qsuites, which would be awesome)
2) JL F
3) Etihad F
4) Etihad J

Question on Etihad....the mileage required for SIN-AUH-JFK would be 110K for F? Does the cost vary between The Residence, First Apartment and the First Suite?

How you rank the options?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
1. If your actual route is HKG-BOS, and you're using AA miles, remember that this will take two awards on QR and be much more costly than on CX.

2. If you decide on CX, don't forget flight 812. Having done both HKG-JFK-BOS and HKG-BOS many times, the nonstop to BOS is much better.

3. IMO QR has much better food. CX food has gone downhill noticeably compared to, say, 5+ years ago. I find service from cabin crew about the same level, though the styles are different, owing, I'd say, mostly to cultural differences. IME QR cabin crew will be a bit more formal and be striving for precise perfection. CX cabin crew will be a bit more relaxed and friendly.

4. For sleeping, the CX F bed has it all over the QR 350 J product, as much as I like it. That said, I just slept 7+ hours on QR 744 a couple of days ago, and I didn't even have the bedding put on the seat.

Note that my comments about the QR hard product apply only to the 350, not the 77W. I really don't care for the 2-2-2 layout in J.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
1. If your actual route is HKG-BOS, and you're using AA miles, remember that this will take two awards on QR and be much more costly than on CX.

2. If you decide on CX, don't forget flight 812. Having done both HKG-JFK-BOS and HKG-BOS many times, the nonstop to BOS is much better.

3. IMO QR has much better food. CX food has gone downhill noticeably compared to, say, 5+ years ago. I find service from cabin crew about the same level, though the styles are different, owing, I'd say, mostly to cultural differences. IME QR cabin crew will be a bit more formal and be striving for precise perfection. CX cabin crew will be a bit more relaxed and friendly.

4. For sleeping, the CX F bed has it all over the QR 350 J product, as much as I like it. That said, I just slept 7+ hours on QR 744 a couple of days ago, and I didn't even have the bedding put on the seat.

Note that my comments about the QR hard product apply only to the 350, not the 77W. I really don't care for the 2-2-2 layout in J.
Appreciate your opinions! Have you flown JL first before? That’s the one other one I’m trying to compare QR against as I see some JL first availability pop up from time to time.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you flown JL first before?
Yes, I have. You should know that there's no JL F service to BOS. Beyond that, I would rate is as OK. B+. I don't find the seats terribly comfortable, and that thin, foam rubber mattress pad thing does nothing for me. The foam rubber pillow substitute even less. And the cabins are way too hot. You know, on second thought, forget JL F. If you're considering QR J, it's much better in every respect.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes, I have. You should know that there's no JL F service to BOS. Beyond that, I would rate is as OK. B+. I don't find the seats terribly comfortable, and that thin, foam rubber mattress pad thing does nothing for me. The foam rubber pillow substitute even less. And the cabins are way too hot. You know, on second thought, forget JL F. If you're considering QR J, it's much better in every respect.
yep, know there is no JL F to Bos. Was looking at JL F 777-300 NRT/HND-JFK. I’ve read some pretty good reviews on that product and service....have you flown it?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yep, know there is no JL F to Bos. Was looking at JL F 777-300 NRT/HND-JFK. I’ve read some pretty good reviews on that product and service....have you flown it?
Yes, thus the source of the information in my comments about it. Of the foreign carrier international F class cabins I have flown (BA, CX, JL, LH, NH, OZ, QF, QR, TG), the only one which I would rate below JL is TG. Obviously, this is based on my own personal experience. I know that others have had different experiences and would rank them differently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.