Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AONEx validity

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

AONEx validity

Hi, I was grounded for almost 4years from flying high and low.Even a crappy 2hours Ryanair flight I would accepted as present from FT-God.So I rewarding myself with an AONE5,mostly to enjoy onboard bottles of champagne, long first class flights, and there is a problem.Where are they?

I came up with this routing:

1: MPM-DOH: intercontinental AFR-EUR
2: DOH-SYD: intercontinental EUR-SWP
3: SYD-PER: 1st of 4 SWP
4: PER-AKL: 2nd of 4 SWP
MileageMonkey shouts:Error!!! No oneworld service exists PER-AKL

But there is one on Fridays in summer season:
    5: AKL-HKG: 1st of 1 intercontinental SWP to Asia
    6: HKG-MLE: 1st of 4 (Asia)
    7: MLE-HKG: 2nd of 4 (Asia)
    8: HKG-BOM: 3rd of 4 (Asia)
    9: BOM-HKG: 4th of 4 (Asia)
    10: HKG-JFK: 1st of 1 (intercontinental entry to North America without immediate transit & departure)
    11: JFK-LAX: 1st of 1 (North America Transcon)
    *11: JFK-LAX: 1st of 6 (North America)
    12: LAX-HNL: 2nd of 6 (North America)
    13: HNL-LHR: intercontinental

[I]MileageMonkey shouts:Error!!! No oneworld service exists HNL-LHR
    But there is a AA flight with stop in LAX, but same fl.nr. all the way, so IMHO it should count as only 1 and even should be miles earnable on BAEC?
    Fl.nr.AA108.
    Am I right?

14: LHR-MCT: 1st of 4 (Europe)
    15: MCT-LHR: 2nd of 4 (Europe)
    16: LHR-NBO: intercontinental

That my plan, as you could see my fav oneworld airline is CX,but I am earning on BAEC/Alaska.My preference are long flights and wide seat is essential need.

Any advices on the routing,I plan to book it via AA.
    Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: QFF
    MileageMonkey is a 3rd party tool which needs route changes added to it manually. It does not include all routes and could have routes still listed which no longer exist.

Qantas does have a seasonal weekend only PER-AKL flight.

AA has a number of same flight number tag flights, but they often change the destination of the short haul sector. eg, AA has flights JFK-ZRH with a tag flight on MIA-JFK, however that tag changes to DFW-JFK at different times of the year. They also change aircraft for the short flight, so you'd have a 777 for LAX-LHR and a A320 for HNL-LAX.
    Yes, same flight number 2+ sector flights will only count as 1 sector to the ticket. eg, QF11 SYD-JFK will count as 1 sector, even with a stop and aircraft change in LAX.

If you're trying to maximize First class sectors, you might need to look at some of these flights again.
    Qantas for example only has first class on the A380s and they only sell the cabin as First on flights to DXB/LHR, LAX and DFW. The SYD-PER is either 737 or A330 and PER-AKL is A330. You'd be downgraded to business class. The QF 737 business class is similar to the AA domestic "first" seat, while most QF A330s (26 of 28) have new business class suites.

The domestic AA sectors will also book into business class. After changes made a few months ago, AA 2 class domestic flights have the forward cabin sold as "First", but it is coded as business. The 3 class flights like JFK-LAX will be fine for First class earning though.
    Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
    I'm not sure JFK-LAX-HNL-LHR works as the rules state you can't back track to CONUS. That means you have have to do US-Hawaii-Japan or US-Hawaii-Australia or vice versa. I don't believe the HNL-LHR will work, but would love to be proved wrong.

Also, you aren't using many F class flights. I would consider getting a DONE and using the savings for a couple bottles of champagne on the ground.
    Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
    I fear that even if the "through" HNL - LHR segment were deemed an acceptable routing, that you might have a great deal of trouble finding "through" A inventory (there's nearly no "A" class inventory on any AA flight ex-Hawaii). Without a "through" A class seat, it will be very hard -- if not impossible -- to hide the HNL - LAX sector.

It would appear that you have very few sectors in F (A): DOH - SYD, HKG - JFK, JFK - LAX, and presumably LAX - LHR. Were you planning on more?
    Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
    Originally Posted by skunker
    I'm not sure JFK-LAX-HNL-LHR works as the rules state you can't back track to CONUS. That means you have have to do US-Hawaii-Japan or US-Hawaii-Australia or vice versa. I don't believe the HNL-LHR will work, but would love to be proved wrong.

Also, you aren't using many F class flights. I would consider getting a DONE and using the savings for a couple bottles of champagne on the ground.
    IIRC, there have been reports that AA refuses to ticket an itinerary with the LHR-HNL (or v.v.) segment if it includes backtracking to/from Hawaii. But BA will ticket. I don't what others OW airlines' position is on this.
    Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:01 am
    Suspended

Programs: None any more
    Originally Posted by jbalmuth
    It would appear that you have very few sectors in F (A): DOH - SYD, HKG - JFK, JFK - LAX, and presumably LAX - LHR. Were you planning on more?
    Also LHR-MCT-LHR, no?

Last edited by christep; Jul 15, 2017 at 7:04 am
    Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:56 am

If you want to maximize the number of F flights a few ideas (this is from memory when I was planning my last AONEx:
    Inside Asia HKG-Tokyo (HND and NRT) have F, SIN-HKG on soem days has F.

Between Asia and SWP I don't think there is currently anything except the BA flight SYD-SIN. Btw BA F in my opinion is just like a good business class.

Between Asia and NA both CX and JL have a very good F product. If you want to go to HNL I believe you need to come from Asia and cannot backtrack from NA - JL but no F.

Between NA and Europe you have the choice between AA and BA. I don't like both products, but BA is still better.

If you want to maximize the F experience you should also consider a Star RTW. It is mileage based and you have more choices for F flights. TG and SQ between SWP and Asia, many airlines between Asia and Europe. NH, OZ and UA (avoid) between Asia and NA.
    Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:37 am
    Original Poster

rethinked for F heavy

you are right,not many F sectors.I thought longest routing would have F,but no. In that case DONE is more acceptable.
    IF I want to have F routing it also would be CX heavy with only few other Fs, and SWP will be out of the game,only from/to SYD is F served nothing else in SWP.F Routing like this:
    MPM-DOH-LON-HND-HKG-PEK-HKG-JFK-YVR-DFW-LAX-DOH-CDG-MAD-DKR

where I am OK with C on mpm-doh,yvr-dfw-lax as from MPM no F,and LAX is a must, but I am not happy with final sectors CDG-MAD-DKR, but I didnt find other valid route to end RTW correctly.
    Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
    HNL-LHR won't work as it's backtracking to NA, but you'd need to call AA, BA, or whomever to verify. You could also try the OW booking tool, but it's so buggy I wouldn't trust what it says either.

You would not be able to get A on HNL-LHR anyway, because only D is available on that flight, EVEN IF you are allowed to book this flight it is booked as two segments according to EF (although OW booking tool shows it as 1 segment which is a plus in your favor) and would be booked into D class at best.

HNL-LHR AA 108 (shows as 2 flights in EF - No A class)
    AA 108 HNL-LAX
    J7 R0 D7 I2 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7
    AA 108 LAX-LHR
    J7 R0 D7 I2 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7

LAX-LHR AA 108 (LAX-LHR booked separately)
    F7 A6 J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7

I agree while mileage monkey is a nice planning tool, it is not an authority on xONEn rules by any stretch of the imagination.

FWIW, I'm doing my first DONE4 this fall into next year because i'm including Hawaii in the itinerary. Doing DFW-HNL-SYD and then to Asia with BA from PVG to LHR and upgrading to F using Avios for that flight and the LHR-IAD TATL (which is a little overkill with no overnight) flight. I usually do AONEn or ACIRnn and love CX and QF F, but with Hawaii I didn't need the TPAC and no A to/from Hawaii, so went with DONEn.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Jul 15, 2017 at 7:13 am
    Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:05 am
    Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
    Originally Posted by kobolcs
    you are right,not many F sectors.I thought longest routing would have F,but no. In that case DONE is more acceptable.
    IF I want to have F routing it also would be CX heavy with only few other Fs, and SWP will be out of the game,only from/to SYD is F served nothing else in SWP.F Routing like this:
    MPM-DOH-LON-HND-HKG-PEK-HKG-JFK-YVR-DFW-LAX-DOH-CDG-MAD-DKR

where I am OK with C on mpm-doh,yvr-dfw-lax as from MPM no F,and LAX is a must, but I am not happy with final sectors CDG-MAD-DKR, but I didnt find other valid route to end RTW correctly.
    Well, let me ask a different question. Is Africa that important to you, and how would you be getting to Mozambique in the first place and back from Senegal at the end?

Reason being, the prices for DONEx and AONEx tickets are not that much higher if originating in other places. For example, the base price of a DONE4 originating in Norway is US$842 more than in MPM; if you originate in Japan it's only $301 more than in Mozambique (and $541 less than Norway.) An AONE4 starting in Japan is only $753 more than one starting in MPM.

How much would it cost to position yourself in MPM to start the trip or to return from DKR at the end? If you're already in Europe, how much would the difference be to start in Oslo instead?

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
    HNL-LHR won't work as it's backtracking to NA, but you'd need to call AA, BA, or whomever to verify.
    No, it's right there in the rules:
    Backtracking between Hawaii and other points in North America is not permitted.
    Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
    For ex-MPM, a DONEx has better value than AONEx because you can't find enough A metals as many have pointed out above.

For example current fares (per EF) DONEx vs AONEx, ex-MPM:
    DONE5 = US$6,781
    AONE5 = US$11,161
    DONE6 = US8,247
    AONE6 = US$13,379
    Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
    Originally Posted by Gardyloo
    Hence the reason that statement started with "HNL-LHR won't work as it's backtracking to NA". It is a direct flight with no stopover in NA, so only AA, BA or whoever is ticketing knows if they would consider that NOT backtracking. My guess is they would consider it backtracking. Sorry my post was not clear to you.
    Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:04 pm
    Original Poster

How much would it cost to position yourself in MPM to start the trip or to return from DKR at the end? If you're already in Europe, how much would the difference be to start in Oslo instead?
    Yes,
    OSL is cheaper for positioning 280eur on Norvegian in Y-- 2seats, but MPM adds me JNB for 1700 in C with TK VIE-IST-JNB-MPM//DKR-IST-VIE where I want to go, and a new country of Mozambique.
    CDG-MAD-DKR-is absolutely not needed, but I didn't find any other valid ending of RTW,so I can add Senegal to my travelled airports.

Lets try with OSL: osl-lhr-hnd-hkg-pek-cmb-hkg-jfk-yvr-dfw-lax-ord-lax-lhr-doh-lhr-osl

I cant feed in Africa LHR-CPT-DOH doesn't worth +1 continent.
    Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:49 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA interprets the HNL-LHR direct flight as not going via North America. AA takes a different view.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
    Originally Posted by aaupgrade
    I agree while mileage monkey is a nice planning tool, it is not an authority on xONEn rules by any stretch of the imagination.
    And I don't believe its been updated for quite a while
    (hence the missing flights) (and old calcs of QF SC earn which is much harder to calculate under SimplerFairer)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.