Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Should I switch from AAdvantage to BAEC (Alaska related)

Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I primarily fly AA domestically, and other OW partners internationally (in business class and usually BA) out of Phoenix or LAX, and then also a few trips a year on Alaska Air up to family in the PacNW.

I'm wondering if, with the partnership ending between AA & Alaska, if I should consider doing all my earning on BA, instead of maintaining both AA and Alaska accounts.

Most important for me is that AS currently recognizes AA elite status for preferred seats, would that be true of BA?

Pros:
1) Still earn on AA and Alaska
2) Family Avios account to earn both my wife and I into one bucket for redemption (as I understand it)
3) Can link to my Amex MR account for transfers
4) No EQD but flying J that hasn't affected me yet.

Cons:
1) Lower earning on AA
2) I'm borderline Plat renewal, I wouldn't get BAEC Silver though

Unknown:
1) Would I be able to maintain elite status (even Ruby)?
2) Is it true that Avios can be used to upgrade WTP to CW?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
If u fly paid j on ba to europe, why is it hard to be silver which only requires 600 tier points?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
I primarily fly AA domestically, and other OW partners internationally (in business class and usually BA) out of Phoenix or LAX, and then also a few trips a year on Alaska Air up to family in the PacNW.

I'm wondering if, with the partnership ending between AA & Alaska, if I should consider doing all my earning on BA, instead of maintaining both AA and Alaska accounts.

Most important for me is that AS currently recognizes AA elite status for preferred seats, would that be true of BA?
What are your objectives with a ffp? Just seat selection?
What do you use the ff miles for?

BA ffp requires 2/4 marketed or operated flights on BA/IB/IE? for status. Check the rules for status qualification carefully.

If you jump ship be mindful of the ff miles expiry of the abandoned ffp's.

BA/IB/AA have a cross airline upgrade system, subject to heavy t&c's.
AA thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html

The grass in not always greener on the other side.
But with AS the grass is getting more brown
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by pbd456
If u fly paid j on ba to europe, why is it hard to be silver which only requires 600 tier points?
It's usually one longhaul flight a year on a OW carrier. The TP calculator shows about 300-380 TPs for a sample route to Germany r/t.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What are your objectives with a ffp? Just seat selection?
What do you use the ff miles for?

BA ffp requires 2/4 marketed or operated flights on BA/IB/IE? for status. Check the rules for status qualification carefully.

If you jump ship be mindful of the ff miles expiry of the abandoned ffp's.

BA/IB/AA have a cross airline upgrade system, subject to heavy t&c's.
AA thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html

The grass in not always greener on the other side.
But with AS the grass is getting more brown
Once AS and AA sever ties, I won't have free checked bags when I fly Alaska, or preferred seating or priority boarding. I might stick with AA (which is AA's goal), but I do prefer the AS flight times and service. I don't fly AS enough to get the credit card, but it was a nice collaboration that helped me.

So switching to BA (instead of staying on AA) is about keeping the reciprocal benefits on Alaska, which now that I'm home and doing some reading, I'm not sure actually applies. Also, it would mean having three airlines all earning to one bucket, as my AAdvantage account does right now.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
BA Silver only requires 600 tier points, but also requires 4 BA/IB/IE flights per membership year. Membership year varies by person based on the date one joined BAEC; it is not based on calendar year.

BA Silver(OW Sapphire) gets OW lounge access, including Admirals club, when traveling on any OW itinerary including North American/US domestic/Caribbean itineraries. A huge plus IMO.

Earning on BAEC is based on mileage instead of dollars, which means higher earnings (in my case). BA redemptions are a higher. It pretty much evens out now that AA is dollar based. For hard to redeem awards, you can book BA awards much early than AA awards, another huge plus for QF and CX TPAC.

I fly mainly J and F and find it much easier to qualify for BA Gold than AA EXP, to the point I have extra flights I credit to AA after attaining BA Gold. If you are flying in economy check closely as to what you would earn in BAEC. Here is a link to their calculator: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb

Last edited by aaupgrade; Jul 8, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Are there reciprocal benefits for BA status members when flying on AS?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.