Wiki Posts
Search

Easter Island and Tahiti

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Easter Island and Tahiti

Hi everyone

I am planning a trip to South America (Chile and Argentina). I will be travelling out of Sydney - Australia.

My first idea was to fly straight in and out of Santiago on QF and add some internal flights. I would try and do that on QF frequent flyer points.

Now I am looking at the possibility of doing:
SYD-SCL on the way there and

SCL - IPC (stop over)
IPC - PPT (stop pver)
PPT - AKL - SYD on the way back.

What would be the best/cheapest way to do this?
Are there any passes that would include the above route (considering I have to add some internal flights in South America).
Or what are the chances of getting the return leg with QF frequent flyer points (flying Latam and Air Tahiti Nui)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:53 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I have found it extremely hard (ie impossible) to get domestic award flights on LAN from SCL or EZE. I understand they sometimes appear, but I'd not assume that I could build a South American itinerary using QF FF points.

If you are considering a one way SYD-SCL and points for SCL-IPC-PPT-SYD, this may be a very expensive option compared with a SYD-SCL-SYD flight.

There used to be a good value South American air pass but I think this has been doscontinued.

The OW Global Explorer fare may allow you to "island hop" across the Pacific between South America and Oz. This should also give some South American flights that may suit.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
The OW Global Explorer fare may allow you to "island hop" across the Pacific between South America and Oz. This should also give some South American flights that may suit.
Or a OW Circle Pacfic https://www.oneworld.com/flights/mul...circle-pacific

IPC & PPT are not easy/cheap places to get to. Few airlines fly to IPC and/or PPT
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:43 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

IPC & PPT are not easy/cheap places to get to. Few airlines fly to IPC and/or PPT
Circle trips don't allow the use of TN or FJ codeshares, unlike the Global Explorer. This might be a case where a TA might be more useful than trying to use some Oneworld product.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

A flight SCL-IPC-SCL on a xCIRC29SA would eat up valuable miles in the 29000 allowance very quickly - to the points that a decent itinerary may be impossible. Much better to get the cheapest return flight from SYD to SCL (or EZE if on NZ) and build the cheapest possible single or returns from the gateway city.

And since xCIRC29SA pricing is same /similar to xONE4 or xGLOB34, then it makes sense (to me) to focus on the GLOB which does allow access to more flights of interest to the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.