Wiki Posts
Search

Critique & Advice on RTW Booking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Critique & Advice on RTW Booking

I'm in the process of arranging a LONE4 RTW for me and my wife. I intend to start from OSL to bring the cost down however I would appreciate a quick review of the below itinerary and advice on a couple of the flights.

OSL->GIG (via LHR) -> BOG (via GRU) -> UIO (surface) ->LIM -> SCL ->SYD ->BNE -> SYD -> PER (surface) ->SIN -> BKK (surface) -> OSL

Few queries
  1. Am I making the most of the trip from an Avios/TP collection considering we are flying Economy?
  2. Bogota - Quito: This brings up some crazy flight routings, assume I will have to book a local flight?
  3. LIM-SYD: Again, this tries to take me via MIA & DFW before SYD, hence why I've had to put in SCL as a stop, anyway around this?
  4. When trying to book it brings up the error "We have encountered a problem pricing your itinerary. Please save your itinerary then contact British Airways to book it.", why?
  5. Cost is estimated at £5,200 for both, is that about right?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other than local taxes there is no great difference between a stop & transit

By "SYD -> PER (surface)" I take that to mean you will pay your own way SYD-PER. As SYD-PER is a long way and can be expensive, better to pay for a SYD-BNE or BNE-SYD (can be very cheap with QF, VA & JQ).
Why return to SYD, before PER?
SCL-SYD on QF or LA in L class can be hard to get. LA actually fly SCL-AKL-SYD. You could do, if L flights available, SCL-AKL-BNE on LA/QF
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Furton
I'm in the process of arranging a LONE4 RTW for me and my wife. I intend to start from OSL to bring the cost down however I would appreciate a quick review of the below itinerary and advice on a couple of the flights.
OSL->GIG (via LHR) -> BOG (via GRU) -> UIO (surface) ->LIM -> SCL ->SYD ->BNE -> SYD -> PER (surface) ->SIN -> BKK (surface) -> OSL
Is a valid 4-continent itinerary

I presume you actually want the two surface segments SYD-PER and SIN-BKK, because both could of course be flown on the ticket.

There is no Oneworld flight BKK-OSL so I presume you are flying either BKK-LHR-OSL on BA or BKK-DOH-OSL on QR.

You are using 15 of the allowed 16 segments, so you could add in one more flight (anywhere but South America where you already are using your allowed 4 flights segments)

You are allowed two stopovers in the continent of origin, so
  • you could have a Norwegian holiday at the beginning, returning to London for a lengthy stopover
  • then go round the world, returning to London at the end
  • and finally return to Norway for another Scandi hol (that last flight has to be taken within one year of the first flight)

Few queries
  1. Am I making the most of the trip from an Avios/TP collection considering we are flying Economy?
    I'm not familiar with the BA programme, but in general the earning in 'L' class is low - typically only 25% of flown miles
  2. Bogota - Quito: This brings up some crazy flight routings, assume I will have to book a local flight?
    Yes. I checked in ExpertFlyer, and Avianca (AV) seems to have a monopoly on the direct flights (and also to GYE - Guayaquil); and AV is not in Oneworld.
    In any case, if there was a direct flight then you would have the problem of exceeding the allowed 4 flights in the continent - you already have 4 being GIG-xGRU-BOG plus UIO-LIM-SCL
  3. LIM-SYD: Again, this tries to take me via MIA & DFW before SYD, hence why I've had to put in SCL as a stop, anyway around this?
    No. The only ways to get from LIM to SYD are via North America or via SCL. And flying via Nth America will change your ticket into a LONE5 which of course is more expensive.
    QF flies SCL-SYD and LA flies via AKL. LA is also commencing SCL-MEL flights sometime this year.
    As Mwenenzi pointed out, you could work in a stopover in AKL if that was of interest.
    An additional possibility is to take QF's seasonal AKL-PER flight (only during the summer, and only on Saturdays and Sundays)
  4. When trying to book it brings up the error "We have encountered a probleMw pricing your itinerary. Please save your itinerary then contact British Airways to book it.", why?
    Why? Because the on-line booking tool is a load of c**p!
    The base fare of an ex-Norway LONE4 is NOK20.430 (approx £1,900). To this must be added the various taxes, fees and surcharges. So £5,200 for two pax seems about right
    Happy planning

Last edited by pandaperth; Apr 3, 2017 at 12:46 am
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Other than local taxes there is no great difference between a stop & transit

By "SYD -> PER (surface)" I take that to mean you will pay your own way SYD-PER. As SYD-PER is a long way and can be expensive, better to pay for a SYD-BNE or BNE-SYD (can be very cheap with QF, VA & JQ).
Why return to SYD, before PER?
SCL-SYD on QF or LA in L class can be hard to get. LA actually fly SCL-AKL-SYD. You could do, if L flights available, SCL-AKL-BNE on LA/QF
Our plan is to call into BNE to visit some friend, then pick up a camper van from SYD and drive to PER. May look into the AKL route instead.

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Is a valid 4-continent itinerary

I presume you actually want the two surface segments SYD-PER and SIN-BKK, because both could of course be flown on the ticket.

There is no Oneworld flight BKK-OSL so I presume you are flying either BKK-LHR-OSL on BA or BKK-DOH-OSL on QR.

You are using 15 of the allowed 16 segments, so you could add in one more flight (anywhere but South America where you already are using your allowed 4 flights segments)

You are allowed two stopovers in the continent of origin, so
  • you could have a Norwegian holiday at the beginning, returning to London for a lengthy stopover
  • then go round the world, returning to London at the end
  • and finally return to Norway for another Scandi hol (that last flight has to be taken within one year of the first flight)

Few queries
    I'm not familiar with the BA programme, but in general the earning in 'L' class is low - typically only 25% of flown miles
    Yes. I checked in ExpertFlyer, and Avianca (AV) seems to have a monopoly on the direct flights (and also to GYE - Guayaquil); and AV is not in Oneworld.
    In any case, if there was a direct flight then you would have the problem of exceeding the allowed 4 flights in the continent - you already have 4 being GIG-xGRU-BOG plus UIO-LIM-SCL
    No. The only ways to get from LIM to SYD are via North America or via SCL. And flying via Nth America will change your ticket into a LONE5 which of course is more expensive.
    QF flies SCL-SYD and LA flies via AKL. LA is also commencing SCL-MEL flights sometime this year.
    As Mwenenzi pointed out, you could work in a stopover in AKL if that was of interest.
    An additional possibility is to take QF's seasonal AKL-PER flight (only during the summer, and only on Saturdays and Sundays)
  4. When trying to book it brings up the error "We have encountered a probleMw pricing your itinerary. Please save your itinerary then contact British Airways to book it.", why?
    Why? Because the on-line booking tool is a load of c**p!
    The base fare of an ex-Norway LONE4 is NOK20.430 (approx £1,900). To this must be added the various taxes, fees and surcharges. So £5,200 for two pax seems about right
    Happy planning
Great advice, much appreciated! Will have a play around on some of the routings. If I can't book the flights on-line is there a specific call centre which is easier to book through than others?

Are there any premium RTW deals at the moment? Not flow Y long haul for a few years so half dreading this!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:18 am

If I can't book the flights on-line is there a specific call centre which is easier to book through than others?
Not really. AA has a dedicated Around-the-World desk, but you have no AA flights so they would be unwilling to help you.

BA should be OK
or you can use a decent travel agent, though you may be charged a service fee
(I was charged 5% by an Australian TA for my current ex-MPM DONE5)
Are there any premium RTW deals at the moment?
Are there UK travel agencies that are similar to flightplanet.com.au? It advertises various RTW business class deals, however they are fairly basic and would be unlikely to handle your proposed itinerary (those South American stops would be the problem)

The base business class fare (DONE4) ex-Norway is NOK57,959, so significantly more than the economy fare.

Not flown Y long haul for a few years so half dreading this!
My rule of thumb for flying long-haul down the back of the bus is:
  • If it's a daylight flight, then it is bearable (keep myself busy during the flight, fall into bed after it)
  • However a nighttime flight is to be avoided if at all possible

You only have three long-haul flights in your itinerary:
  • LHR-GIG is a daylight flight
  • SCL-SYD
    • on QF is a daylight flight
    • on LA is a nighttime flight AND has that stop in AKL making it a very long flight indeed; also it arrives into SYD at 9:10am (having departed SCL at 1:00am)
    Note also Mwenenzi's comment - L availability is very scarce on this route. When LA's SCL-MEL service starts, this might result in more availability; time will tell.
  • BKK-LHR is a daylight flight
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Are there UK travel agencies that are similar to flightplanet.com.au? It advertises various RTW business class deals, however they are fairly basic and would be unlikely to handle your proposed itinerary (those South American stops would be the problem)
It's been very many years since I used these guys, but they used to be very good, and they still seem to be around: http://www.trailfinders.com/around-the-world

They will offer a full TA package, but they certainly used to be happy to do just the tickets as well. That was in the days of commission from the airlines - not sure how it would work now. But they (used to) know their stuff.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Right, so I phoned to book my LONE4 itinerary on Friday and BA phoned back to take payment today, all good. Unfortunately, they phoned me back later to say there's an issue with the ticket due to it having too many surface segments. I thought surface segments only counted towards the total amount of segments, not the total amount in each continent?

OSL->LHR->GIG->GRU(surface)->BOG -> GYE (surface) -> GPS - > GYE -> SCL(surface) -> SYD ->BNE->MEL(surface) -> PER ->SIN -> BKK(surface)->HEL-> OSL

That's 16 segments, 4 flights in S.America and 5 surface sectors (3 surface sectors in S.America)
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:16 pm

BA is incorrect.

The only restriction on surface sectors is on intercontinental surface sectors:
(4g) Intermediate surface sectors are permitted at the passenger’s expense. Transoceanic surface sectors between TC1-TC2 and TC1-TC3 are not permitted.
(TC1 = Nth & Sth America; TC2 = Europe/Middle East & Africa; TC3 = Asia & Oceania)
As you said, surface sectors do count toward the 16 maximum allowed sectors in total but not towards the maximum number of sectors in a continent - that rule explicitly refers to flight sectors:
4(h) A minimum of 3 and maximum of 16 segments, including surface segments between any 2 airports, are permitted for the entire journey. Free flight segments within each continent are limited as follows:
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt response. I've e-mailed BA an extract of the relevant rules so hopefully they will issue the ticket later today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.