How many LHR stopovers are allowed on a AONE4 beginning in CPT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

BA are telling me that an AONE4 beginning CPT-JNB-LHR-DXB-LHR-DUB-LHR-MIA…….. is not allowed as there are too many LHR stopovers.

In the latest Rules (Feb 2017), 4(e) says

“Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:

……..Two permitted in Europe/Middle East”.

As “Europe/Middle East” is defined as a continent earlier in the Rules, why do I have too many stopovers?

Or are they forgetting that my continent of origin is SA, not UK, since, if it were the latter, as in Rule 8 only two stopovers would be permitted?

Has anyone run into this problem, or am I missing something, please?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
You are right. BA is wrong.

There is no restriction on the number of stopovers at any one point in an itinerary. The rule you quoted is not relevant - it does not refer to stopovers; you arrive in the continent from Africa and depart to North America, this has nothing to do with stopovers IN the continent.

At the end of your itinerary how are you getting back to Africa? If that is through Europe/Middle East then you might have a problem depending on the itinerary - your return must be a "transit without stopover" and must be through the Middle East Zone, not the Europe Zone (because you have included South Africa in the itinerary).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Deleted(I wrote how to return African continent, not about LHR stopovers).

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Mar 26, 2017 at 10:48 am
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
You are right. BA is wrong.

There is no restriction on the number of stopovers at any one point in an itinerary....At the end of your itinerary how are you getting back to Africa?.....
Thank you for your quick response. Good info.

The return to SA is via HKG. The full itinerary:
CPT-JNB-LHR-DUB-LHR-DXB-LHR-MIA-GCM-MIA-SAN-ORD-HKG-NRT-HKG-JNB-CPT
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:46 pm

Is a perfectly valid Oneworld Explorer. So the BA agent you dealt with was certainly incorrect.

TBH - I wouldn't include LHR-DUB-LHR in a premium cabin Explorer.
And also I would fly CPT-LHR at the start, unless I had a reason to go to JNB at the beginning as well as at the end.
Then I'd use the segments freed up to fly some decent premium cabin routes (for example LHR-DOH-LHR in QR's A380)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks pandaperth.

I agree that LHR-DUB-LHR is a waste of a premium ticket, but I'm severely restrained by the amount of time I can spend in Europe and must go there on business.

I fly CPT-JNB-LHR in order to use First in the A388 which isn't on the CPT-LHR route. I know it's a wasted segment, but worth the inconvenience.

Question: your idea of LHR-DOH-LHR is excellent, but could I do this on the same ticket as LHR-DXB-LHR? I know the Middle East rules changed recently, but are two LHR-Middle East journeys allowed?

(Actually, I've just checked ExpertFlyer and QR offer no A class seats whatsoever in Sept/Oct 2017, the period I need, even though every flight appears wide open.)

Last edited by Full Score; Mar 27, 2017 at 2:54 am
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Full Score
Question: your idea of LHR-DOH-LHR is excellent, but could I do this on the same ticket as LHR-DXB-LHR? I know the Middle East rules changed recently, but are two LHR-Middle East journeys allowed?
Yes. There is no longer any restriction on the number of U.K.-Middle East flights. (though the limit of 4 flight segments in the continent still remains of course.)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you, pandaperth. You're a terrific fount of OW knowledge.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Please note that you cannot spend more than 24 hours on MORE than ONE of the LHR stopovers. That might be the stop-over restriction they are referring to

Last edited by PMMMDL; Mar 28, 2017 at 9:51 am Reason: clarity
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
Please note that you cannot spend more than 24 hours on MORE than ONE of the LHR stopovers. That might be the stop-over restriction they are referring to
no such restriction exists and i have flown a few done
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Could you kindly say where you have read this? The Feb 2017 Rules do not mention it.

And this is for a RTW starting outside Europe. Does this make a difference?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:09 pm

This is incorrect. The only place in the rules where "transit without stopover" is mentioned is in connection with allowed second visits to continents. And Full Score does not have a second visit to Europe/Middle East.
Originally Posted by pbd456
no such restriction exists and i have flown a few done
Me too. In fact I have stopped over twice in London on a OW Explorer (and three times in Perth on another on).
Could you kindly say where you have read this? The Feb 2017 Rules do not mention it.

And this is for a RTW starting outside Europe. Does this make a difference?
In the 9 years I've been flying OW Explorers there has never been such a restriction.

Where you start makes no difference at all. In your continent of origin you are allowed only two stopovers, but they could both be at the same place. (For example: HEL-oLHR-xMCT-oLHR...)
Of course if you were starting the ticket in London, then you cannot even transit there let alone stopover.
Full Score, have you gone back to BA yet, armed with your copy of the rule sheet?

Last edited by pandaperth; Mar 28, 2017 at 5:15 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
[QUOTE=pandaperth;28099247]
This is incorrect. The only place in the rules where "transit without stopover" is mentioned is in connection with allowed second visits to continents. And Full Score does not have a second visit to Europe/Middle East.

You're right...that was where I have run up against the next flight/24 hour rule before...been a while since I did that...and it was on SkyTeam at the time..

I just booked an AONE3 for May.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
......Full Score, have you gone back to BA yet, armed with your copy of the rule sheet?
After being given the run-around by numerous BA agents over a three week period, I eventually found a supervisor who acted after I sent her the Feb rule sheet; she received a quotation for the tickets within 24 hours, and they were issued a few days later.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:06 pm

After being given the run-around by numerous BA agents over a three week period, I eventually found a supervisor who acted after I sent her the Feb rule sheet; she received a quotation for the tickets within 24 hours, and they were issued a few days later.
Congratulations on your perseverance.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.