Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to Pick a Seat [AA/QF]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Trying to Pick a Seat [AA/QF]

Hey all, Firstly I wanna apologize if this is the wrong forum as I wasn't sure which to post under...

I have never been on a plane before and I will be making my first trip on May 4th which happens to be to Australia. I want to make sure that I have an aisle seat because 17 hours is a long long time and I think I would be the most comfortable with an aisle seat. I have a problem and I am quite confused.

The airlines I am going with are American Airlines and Qantas. I was able to pick my seats on most of them but on two of the flights on my return I cannot. It is showing American Airlines Operated by Qantas Airways. I tried calling AA and they said I have to call Qantas to make seat reservations. I called Qantas and they said they have no bookings for those two flights because its under AA. Lol whaaa...? Anyone have any advice for this first-time traveler? I legit do not know what to do.

Qantas already messed up on the seats I reserved already because I go on there and it doesn't show that I reserved any. I called them and they choose those seats again but it's still annoying.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

Any advice would be much appericated.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For one fight you flying a codeshare. That is a flight number of one airline on an aircraft operated by another airline. This is common.
Are you flying AA in USA, QF or AA USA to Aust, and then QF in Australia. Telling us your route & flight numbers would help
You may have different PNR's (6 character booking reference) for QF & AA flights. You can have a QF PNR and an AA PNR for 1 flight. Do not put those PNR's on this web site (keep private)

With QF many people do not select seats at booking. QF can limit the free seat allocations to a % before check in. With QF you often have to pay $$ for seat selection.

Enjoy your first flight & Aussie ^

Edit.
Join the AA frequent flyer program if not already a member. Do not join the QF ffp. https://www.aa.com/loyalty/enrollment/enroll
You will get AA ff miles for both AA & QF flights (assuming these are cash paid flights). Just put the AA ff number in the reservations. Keep the flight boarding passes.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 17, 2017 at 2:33 pm
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Jessie Durham, welcome to Flyertalk.

Please follow the redirect as we move this to the oneworld Forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For one fight you flying a codeshare. That is a flight number of one airline on an aircraft operated by another airline. This is common.
Are you flying AA in USA, QF or AA USA to Aust, and then QF in Australia. Telling us your route & flight numbers would help
You may have different PNR's (6 character booking reference) for QF & AA flights. You can have a QF PNR and an AA PNR for 1 flight. Do not put those PNR's on this web site (keep private)

With QF many people do not select seats at booking. QF can limit the free seat allocations to a % before check in. With QF you often have to pay $$ for seat selection.

Enjoy your first flight & Aussie ^

Edit.
Join the AA frequent flyer program if not already a member. Do not join the QF ffp. https://www.aa.com/loyalty/enrollment/enroll
You will get AA ff miles for both AA & QF flights (assuming these are cash paid flights). Just put the AA ff number in the reservations. Keep the flight boarding passes.
Hi and thank you so much for replying!

My route is as follows

May 4

Louisville -> Dallas (#5824 American AirlinesOperated by Mesa Airlines As American Eagle) I selected seats on AA's website

Dallas -> Sydney (Qantas Airways Flight 8) I selected seats on Qantas's website.

Sydney -> Adelaide (Qantas Airways Flight 765) I selected seats on Qantas's website.

June 4

Adelaide -> Sydney (American Airlines Flight 7312 Operated by Qantas Airways) Can't select seats.

Sydney -> Dallas (American Airlines Flight 7308 Operated by Qantas Airways) Can't select seats.

Dallas -> Louisville (American Airlines Flight 5762 Operated by Mesa Airlines as American Eagle) I selected seats on AA's website

So it's only Adelaide to Sydney and Syndey to Dallas's flight that I'm having trouble with.
Thanks for any more help or insights. Also I did join AAdvantage.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I presume you booked with American Airlines, so that would be a SABRE booking reference. Qantas bookings have Amadeus references. These would be different.

I would go to www.Qantas.com/yourbooking and enter the 6 character booking reference you have.

Qantas.com will mainly accept AA SABRE references when they operate flights within the booking.

If entering the AA reference works, note down the Qantas Amadeus reference that will be at the top of the web page.

You may then be able to select seats.

If it does not work online, then call whoever you booked this through and specifically ask for the Qantas Amadeus PNR; once armed with that, you should be able to select seats.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
I presume you booked with American Airlines, so that would be a SABRE booking reference. Qantas bookings have Amadeus references. These would be different.

I would go to www.Qantas.com/yourbooking and enter the 6 character booking reference you have.

Qantas.com will mainly accept AA SABRE references when they operate flights within the booking.

If entering the AA reference works, note down the Qantas Amadeus reference that will be at the top of the web page.

You may then be able to select seats.

If it does not work online, then call whoever you booked this through and specifically ask for the Qantas Amadeus PNR; once armed with that, you should be able to select seats.
Thank you so much! I didn't even think trying my AA reference number on the Qantas website. im able to select seats now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.