Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

JFK to SYD - AA or Qantas in Business or F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK to SYD - AA or Qantas in Business or F?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrooklynDave
Thanks for moving it. I had some replies on the other thread, but that one was closed while this one was left open.
I have requested our friendly moderator to merge the 2 threads.
Threads in the AA forum soon go down the screen and so little response after that
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:08 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Duplicate threads merged.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:18 pm

?? QR via DOH

Thanks for moving it. I had some replies on the other thread, but that one was closed while this one was left open. Hoping to get some more input - thanks in advance.
Another possibility is QR via DOH. They did have a nice discount that just expired but sometimes they have reasonable fares.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: QF WP LTG
Planning a big trip to Australia for either this Fall or (next) winter. Would be flying JFK to either SYD or MEL (and probably returning from whichever Australian city we didn’t fly into, as we’d like to see them both).

We don’t have enough AA miles for an award ticket, so it looks like we’ll be saving our pennies and buying the tickets. Being 6’7”, it needs to be either business or first for a flight that long. Full fare First is just too much, but as of right now there are still some First saver fares available, for not that much more than business.

Of course we’d like to go on either AA or Qantas to at least get some serious miles for hopefully the next trip. The macro question is which of the two I should choose. (Could also choose Cathay Pacific via HKG; adds 6 hours or so, but if the price was way better for some reason, that’s a maybe). Presumably we’d fly JFK-LAX-SYD (or MEL), so if on AA that would be probably a 321T to LAX and then a 77W, and if on Qantas, a retrofitted 747 to LAX and then an A380. If for some reason it was advantageous to go through DFW, we could do that too. So, my questions:

1). How would you compare the business seats, especially on the LAX-SYD leg? Seat comfort and “sleepability” is my #1 priority here. In addition to being 6’7”, I’m pretty broad-shouldered. Seat Guru (I know, I know, but it’s a starting point) lists AA’s 77W business seats as a very nice 26 inches wide, but 75-78 inches long… those 3 inches make a big difference to me! Are some actually longer than others? Seat Guru lists the A380’s business seats as all being 78 inches long, but 21.5 inches wide. Probably wide enough and not claustrophobic, but has anyone flown both types?

2). Same question comparing the First seats, should they be semi-reasonable. Comparing the First seats between AA and QF and comparing business and First with the same airline.

3). It looks like we’d get more miles flying AA, if price was roughly equal. Is that right?

4). I’ve never flown enough times in a given year to get elite status, but this is such a big trip, it looks like this and some smaller trips I have to do anyway might do the trick. Woo hoo! I’m guessing, again, AA grants more EQM’s and EQD’s flying on their metal?

5). How would you compare the soft product between the two? This is less important for me than the seat, but still can matter; in declining order of importance, the service/crew, the food onboard, the IFE, the lounges.

I appreciate any insight you all can give. I hope it’s not against protocol to post to both the AA and QF sections; if it is, I hope someone will kindly consolidate them. Thanks, everyone!
If there is F saver availability on QF this would be first priority. At 6'7" I wouldn't be as concerned with miles earn over comfort. Take QF.

I'm not sure there is F availability on CX HKG-SYD. Personally I'm a big fan of CX in F/J however with no F option HKG-SYD this becomes secondary.

For such a "big trip" I'd take the QF F option either JFK-LAX-SYD/MEL or JFK-DFW-SYD/MEL.

If you decided to go in business I'd take JFK-HKG-SYD on CX in a heartbeat if the fares were similar in price.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Most of the discussion has been comparing QF F/J vs AA F/J for the domestic JFK-LAX portion and the TPAC LAX-SYD portion. People have shared some valuable tips and comparison between the two carriers.

However I would also look into whether you will be flying on a QF A380 plane or a B747. I personally think the A380 makes a difference in comfort during a long flight. The improved cabin pressure, higher humidity level and lower cabin noise makes it a more comfortable flight.

AA's 321T F (JFK-LAX) and AA's 773 F (LAX-SYD) are excellent products. You will enjoy these flight. AA J class on these flights are quite pleasant as well.

However if you can find flights on the QF A380 in F/J, that would be my recommendation.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:22 am

Consider QR

Planning a big trip to Australia for either this Fall or (next) winter. Would be flying JFK to either SYD or MEL (and probably returning from whichever Australian city we didn’t fly into, as we’d like to see them both).

You should at least consider Qatar. Some planes are 1-2-1 in J, and their service is superb. They often have 20-30% off sales too
Old May 10, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Apologies to resurrect this thread - I'm an AS flyer so I'm weighing my fascination with flying QF and extra RDM vs. the AA hard product and extra EQM. I'll be flying to/from SYD next month from the west coast (LAX or SFO).

QF gives me 100% bonus RDM, but only 25% class bonus. I could also fly 380 oneway and 747 the other to mix it up (pm return flight to SFO). And bonus, never flown QF. Downside is the lottery of who I sleep next to.

AA gives me fewer RDM without the bonus, but does have 50% class bonus so more EQM (not sure if I'll hit 75K this year but these could help if I get another longhaul trip) and I've never flown the "you wouldn't believe it was a US carrier" AA J. It's also cheaper, so bonus there.

Leaning AA for cheaper, more EQM and better hard product but having a tough time as RDMs, soft product and going native carrier sound appealing. Thoughts?
Old May 10, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leland
...I'm an AS flyer so I'm weighing my fascination with flying QF and extra RDM vs. the AA hard product and extra EQM. I'll be flying to/from SYD next month from the west coast (LAX or SFO).
What class of travel?
Old May 10, 2017, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What class of travel?
Business class travel. It's embedded in the text but hard to read. Doh!
Old May 12, 2017, 10:21 am

To add to your consideration is flying JAL JFK-TYO-SYD. The routing is shorter than using CX JFK-HKG-SYD. Not sure about the pricing. Only 1st class JFK-TYO, though. I have flown 1st class on JAL and prefer it over QF. The new biz class seats on the JAL 789 (only) are probable the best biz class seat out of the AA/QF/CX mix. Also, no heringbone pattern or reverse seating. Another item to consider is the fact that the LAX-SYD flight changes equipment to a 789 in Nov, therefore no 1st class on AA either.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:35 pm

I'm a SEA-based flyer - looked at JAL out of YVR but the times didn't work for me.

I ended up booking J class on AA. I think it works out for me as 4K more EQM, 10K less RDM, nicer seat and still have to try QF for the first time.

But now my airline bucket list includes QF, JAL and much much more...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.