Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

OneWorld Sapphire access to Elite Lounges

Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

I was under the impression that all OneWorld Sapphire members had elite lounge access to OneWorld non-AA elite lounges in the US and abroad when flying on any ticket. However, a Platinum member was turned away today from the BA lounge at Dulles.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was your route and what ffp is your OW Sapphire with?
If a USA domestic route no lounge access for AA Sapphires
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Ah, I missed this exception:

"These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement."

Why in the world are AA sapphires treated differently by OneWorld elite lounges than other OneWorld sapphires who qualified to be sapphire by flying the same or fewer miles than the AA sapphire?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Why in the world are AA sapphires treated differently by OneWorld elite lounges than other OneWorld sapphires who qualified to be sapphire by flying the same or fewer miles than the AA sapphire?
Is an AA ffp thing. If a USA domestic route no lounge access for AA Sapphires/Emeralds. Been that way for a long time.

All ffp's have different rules for obtaining and retaining status. Some are more and some are less than with AA.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 1, 2016 at 8:27 pm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I was under the impression that all OneWorld Sapphire members had elite lounge access to OneWorld non-AA elite lounges in the US and abroad when flying on any ticket. However, a Platinum member was turned away today from the BA lounge at Dulles.
Ah, I missed this exception:

"These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement."

You are quoting the wrong exception, which applies to Admirals Club and Qantas Club members.

The correct rules are that, all oneworld sapphire members are entitled to oneworld airlines-operated business class lounge access (with a few location-dependent exceptions), except that AAdvantage Plat members cannot access the lounge when travelling on "domestic" North American itineraries. An AA élite member is thus not entitled to any lounge access based on status, be it AA or BA lounge, when travelling on a "domestic" itinerary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.