Wiki Posts
Search

[FARES GONE] Egyptian Pound Devalued - bargain prices for RTW tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by zoombee
Book 1st leg for late Oct/Nov 2017 and then use the rest (with a re-issue) through to Oct 2018?
You know, I was thinking about that. What's the rule, -- first flight has to be within a year of ticket issue, then you have another year to fly the itinerary?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Still can't decide whether to buy any more. On one hand it's a great deal. On the other hand, I already have all the tickets I need through July, 2017, and don't anticipate any more travel until the end of November, 2017, which is beyond the current schedule.
Aside from the 5-10% fare loss, is there any complications with cancelling a L/DONEX and rebooking with these rates?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by timbouk
Aside from the 5-10% fare loss, is there any complications with cancelling a L/DONEX and rebooking with these rates?
It's possible to lose money also in exchange rate, if the currency where original fare was published will lose more of it's value before cancellation. This seems to depend bit on ticket stock used, as individual carriers have bit different general policies when to use historical fx rate or current fx rate.

And if there is involuntary changes when cancelling, it could be even possible to waive the fare loss and get full refund, YMMV.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
No, but the 5% cancellation penalty could end up being more, less, or getting extra money back depending on the FX rate when the cancellation is done.

I cancelled a AONE4 ex-JNB and it ended up costing me $25 USD because the ZAR had strengthened from the time I purchased my ticket and when I cancelled/refunded ticket. If the EGP is on a downward spiral, you could end up losing more than 5%. Remember the refund is in local currency. If the EGP rebounds after you purchase your ticket then you could save, or even make, money on a refund.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by thois
It's possible to lose money also in exchange rate, if the currency where original fare was published will lose more of it's value before cancellation.
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
No, but the 5% cancellation penalty could end up being more, less, or getting extra money back depending on the FX rate when the cancellation is done.
Thanks guys, so aside from the fx risk, is there any issue in the rules with cancelling and reissuing with slightly different routing? i.e. DONE4 ex somewhere else (not EGP), rebooked with adjusted route (so EGP). Is the cancel/refund process straightforward?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
You know, I was thinking about that. What's the rule, -- first flight has to be within a year of ticket issue, then you have another year to fly the itinerary?
The Oneworld Explorer rule is:
7. MAXIMUM STAY
Return travel from the last stopover point must commence no later than 12 months after departure.
And for example the AA Conditions of Carriage state:

Last edited by pandaperth; Nov 8, 2016 at 7:05 am
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
The rule re: re-pricing if change first flight; does that include change to DATE only, not ticketed points?

If I book say CAI-AMM-ORD as first segments on July 13 but later decide I need to move a few days forward or back... does that cause re-price? Or is it only a change to ticketed points?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:40 am

Just looked at my receipt from AA and saw this at the bottom.

Endorsements/Restrictions
NONREF C18-21

Is this new or just another example of AA's poor ticket display?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by cphurley
The rule re: re-pricing if change first flight; does that include change to DATE only, not ticketed points?

If I book say CAI-AMM-ORD as first segments on July 13 but later decide I need to move a few days forward or back... does that cause re-price? Or is it only a change to ticketed points?
THis has been discussed many times with no clear cut answer, though most replies indicate that any change to the 1st flight segment is a new ticket. The advice from RTW agent Sarah (now retired), "never touch that 1st segment if you want to keep the current price".
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:00 am

Thanks guys, so aside from the fx risk, is there any issue in the rules with cancelling and reissuing with slightly different routing?
OK, your statement makes little sense. If you cancel a ticket then there is nothing to reissue. A ticket is reissued by the airline when changes are made to an existing ticket.

i.e. DONE4 ex somewhere else (not EGP), rebooked with adjusted route (so EGP). Is the cancel/refund process straightforward?
I have absolutely no idea what the second half of your statement means. EGP is the acronym for Egyptian Pounds and is not an airport code. Ex-<airport code> is generally the terminology used here, so did you mean ex-CAI?

If you cancelled your ex-CAI ticket and then purchased a ticket starting in another country, the price would be based on the country from where your new xONEn originates and the time of purchase of that new ticket.

Is the cancel/refund process straightforward?
Yes, the cancel/refund process is straightforward. You call them up, request to cancel and refund the ticket, they inform you that there is a 5% cancellation penalty, you agree, they cancel the ticket, and the refund less the 5% is credited to the credit card that was used for the original purchase. My refund posted to my CC within a week.

It's best to read the oneworld explorer rules.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Sometimes moving too quickly has disadvantages.
The Egyptian pound seems to be in freefall; though that's not terribly surprising given the devaluation and political situation generally. Devalued last week from 8.5 EGP/USD to 13.5. Then about 1½ days later, went to 15.5 to the dollar. Then, just today, went from 15.5 to 16.88.

If you're trying to play the timing, don't forget to factor in that at some point, whether immediately or in a bit, OneWorld will change the pricing on these tickets. I missed out on the MPM tickets because I was trying to time it too carefully. Jumped on this as soon as I was able.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade

I cancelled a AONE4 ex-JNB and it ended up costing me $25 USD because the ZAR had strengthened from the time I purchased my ticket and when I cancelled/refunded ticket. If the EGP is on a downward spiral, you could end up losing more than 5%. Remember the refund is in local currency. If the EGP rebounds after you purchase your ticket then you could save, or even make, money on a refund.
Clarification:

My previous answer excluded one very important thing. I did not address the rebooking portion of your question. The only consideration here is that the price when you rebook, is the price that is prevalent at the time of that rebooking for the country from where your RTW ticket originates. I kind of figured that was understood since cancelling and rebooking means purchasing a new ticket.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:15 am

DONE/AONE change of first segment

If you touch the first segment in any way (change date, change routing, change connection to stopover after the first segment) then you will need a new ticket. The old ticket is cancelled, refunded (in the local currency at the original price minus fees).
Then you will get a completely new ticket, new price (if it has changed) with a new 1 year period before the first flight etc.
The major financial risk is (as mentioned) the FX difference between the day the old tickt was issued and when it was refunded.

This has been my experience so far.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:17 am

The Egyptian pound seems to be in freefall; though that's not terribly surprising given the devaluation and political situation generally. Devalued last week from 8.5 EGP/USD to 13.5. Then about 1½ days later, went to 15.5 to the dollar. Then, just today, went from 15.5 to 16.88.

If you're trying to play the timing, don't forget to factor in that at some point, whether immediately or in a bit, OneWorld will change the pricing on these tickets. I missed out on the MPM tickets because I was trying to time it too carefully. Jumped on this as soon as I was able.
Maybe that is why the wait on the phone is long (I gave up after 10 min), while yesterday it was 1-2 minutes. I was happy with the price when I paid for my ticket yesterday instead of Friday.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by zoombee
Book 1st leg for late Oct/Nov 2017 and then use the rest (with a re-issue) through to Oct 2018?
Originally Posted by pandaperth
The Oneworld Explorer rule is:

And or example the AA Conditions of Carriage state:
The reality now is that the first segment can no longer be 365 days out as we don't have open segments on e-tickets anymore. Back when we had paper tickets you could book that first segment out at the end of schedule (365 days out) and then the other segments as open. Now you have to be able to book the 3 minimum segments required for the ticket before the end of schedule (so within one year) at time of booking. This necessarily limits how close to the end of schedule you can book your first segment as you still need to be able to book at least a minimum number of segments to go around the world with the dates (365 days or sometimes less) that are available at time of booking.

Not relevant for ex-CAI but for tickets originating in TC1 you also have to contend with the minimum stay rule:
6. MINIMUM STAY
No minimum stay except:
All fares originating in TC1 Travel on the last international sector must commence no earlier than 10 days after commencement of the first international sector

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.