[FARES GONE] Egyptian Pound Devalued - bargain prices for RTW tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARES GONE] Egyptian Pound Devalued - bargain prices for RTW tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
OK, your statement makes little sense. If you cancel a ticket then there is nothing to reissue. A ticket is reissued by the airline when changes are made to an existing ticket.
Yes sorry using terminology loosely, by 'reissue' I meant 'cancel and buy another, different, ticket'.

I have absolutely no idea what the second half of your statement means. EGP is the acronym for Egyptian Pounds and is not an airport code. Ex-<airport code> is generally the terminology used here, so did you mean ex-CAI?
Haha, sorry. I know it's not an airport I was just thinking hypothetically the point at which an existing DONE4 specifically not ex-CAI, at what point it would potentially be worthwhile to cancel and rebuy ex-CAI, assuming changing route was possible in your own travel plans, and accepting the fx risk.

Yes, the cancel/refund process is straightforward. You call them up, request to cancel and refund the ticket, they inform you that there is a 5% cancellation penalty, you agree, they cancel the ticket, and the refund less the 5% is credited to the credit card that was used for the original purchase. My refund posted to my CC within a week.
Cool, that's good to know thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I cancelled a AONE4 ex-JNB ...
aaupgrade, i am in the process of doing the same. was yours booked with BA? if so, did you call BA JNB number or other general international number? want to make sure they process the return n the original currency, not sure if only BA JNB can do this... thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by stex
aaupgrade, i am in the process of doing the same. was yours booked with BA? if so, did you call BA JNB number or other general international number? want to make sure they process the return n the original currency, not sure if only BA JNB can do this... thanks!
Yes, my ex-JNB was booked with BA and purchased via the SA phone number due to ticketing country limitations at the time. When I cancelled the ticket and requested the refund I'm pretty sure I called the BA RTW desk here in the US at 1-800-828-7797. It got sent to the rate desk (or their version of it) for SA as I remember the agent coming back and saying they needed to send it over there since it was in ZAR. I said OK and went on faith and it all turned out as expected.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
If you touch the first segment in any way (change date, change routing, change connection to stopover after the first segment) then you will need a new ticket. The old ticket is cancelled, refunded (in the local currency at the original price minus fees).
Then you will get a completely new ticket, new price (if it has changed) with a new 1 year period before the first flight etc.
The major financial risk is (as mentioned) the FX difference between the day the old tickt was issued and when it was refunded.

This has been my experience so far.
Bear in mind that you no longer have to purchase these lower fares in the local currency but can have them priced in the currency of your choosing (probably the one your credit card is in) - then the airline is handling the FX, not you/your credit card.

When it comes time to refund, if you paid by credit card, any fee to be deducted should use the purchase date exchange rate - or if you paid in USD anyway then it's just a straightforward deduction.

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The reality now is that the first segment can no longer be 365 days out as we don't have open segments on e-tickets anymore. Back when we had paper tickets you could book that first segment out at the end of schedule (365 days out) and then the other segments as open.
Doesn't BA allow open segments on etkts? They certainly used to be possible while I was with them. (-3 years ago)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Bear in mind that you no longer have to purchase these lower fares in the local currency but can have them priced in the currency of your choosing (probably the one your credit card is in) - then the airline is handling the FX, not you/your credit card.

When it comes time to refund, if you paid by credit card, any fee to be deducted should use the purchase date exchange rate - or if you paid in USD anyway then it's just a straightforward deduction.

Doesn't BA allow open segments on etkts? They certainly used to be possible while I was with them. (-3 years ago)
While I agree that open segments on etickets are (or at least should be) possible I have been unsuccessful in getting anyone to issue an eticket for an xonex with open segments.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
First one just came back from the AA rate desk. $2,794 base fare, $3,483.47 total for a DONE4. Ticketed.

The reality now is that the first segment can no longer be 365 days out as we don't have open segments on e-tickets anymore. Back when we had paper tickets you could book that first segment out at the end of schedule (365 days out) and then the other segments as open. Now you have to be able to book the 3 minimum segments required for the ticket before the end of schedule (so within one year) at time of booking. This necessarily limits how close to the end of schedule you can book your first segment as you still need to be able to book at least a minimum number of segments to go around the world with the dates (365 days or sometimes less) that are available at time of booking.
Jerry, can you explain a little further, please, as it matters to me for my next ticket (which I'm going to try to do tomorrow). Do the three required segments have to be a complete RTW journey back to origin? So presumably one would book this then keep the first segment and change the rest at the change fee of $150?

Originally Posted by JAXBA
[COLOR="Navy"]Bear in mind that you no longer have to purchase these lower fares in the local currency but can have them priced in the currency of your choosing (probably the one your credit card is in) - then the airline is handling the FX, not you/your credit card.
AA RTW desk requires that your credit card have a U.S. billing address if you want it priced and charged in USD. Agent just told me that she understands that that is not in the fare rules, but that's what AA is doing. So apparently they will only price and sell in the currency of your credit card billing address.

While I agree that open segments on etickets are (or at least should be) possible I have been unsuccessful in getting anyone to issue an eticket for an xonex with open segments.
Tried to get AA to do it; but they would not. When I directed agent to this wording in the rules:
5.(a) Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure. Subsequent segments may be open-dated.
... agent put me on hold. He came back after a few minutes and said that that means that I have to book specific flights and can change them later. Obviously that's not what it means, but we have no bargaining power, except, perhaps, to file a complaint with the DOT. Of course, by the time that got resolved, the fare would be long gone.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 7, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
First one just came back from the AA rate desk. $2,794 base fare, $3,483.47 total for a DONE4. Ticketed.

Jerry, can you explain a little further, please, as it matters to me for my next ticket (which I'm going to try to do tomorrow). Do the three required segments have to be a complete RTW journey back to origin? So presumably one would book this then keep the first segment and change the rest at the change fee of $150?

Tried to get AA to do it; but they would not. When I directed agent to this wording in the rules:... agent put me on hold. He came back after a few minutes and said that that means that I have to book specific flights and can change them later. Obviously that's not what it means, but we have no bargaining power, except, perhaps, to file a complaint with the DOT. Of course, by the time that got resolved, the fare would be long gone.
Your ticket has to be a valid xonex. Since they will not allow open segments you need to be able to book segments that meet the rules of the ticket, which include a minimum of three segments (Rule 4(h)) and that you return to your origin(or in the case of the ME, anywhere in the middle east - Rule 4(c)). If you don't have the segments to have a valid xonex trip, that would include getting back to the ME, the AA rtw desk has told me that they won't ticket. This was not a problem when we could do open segments. The net effect is that you must start your trip earlier than the normal rule of thumb of one year from date of issue so you can have dated segments for at least the minimum required for the ticket.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Yes, my ex-JNB was booked with BA and purchased via the SA phone number due to ticketing country limitations at the time. When I cancelled the ticket and requested the refund I'm pretty sure I called the BA RTW desk here in the US at 1-800-828-7797. It got sent to the rate desk (or their version of it) for SA as I remember the agent coming back and saying they needed to send it over there since it was in ZAR. I said OK and went on faith and it all turned out as expected.
thanks again. will try to the US BA number, and see how it goes. ZAR getting stronger it seems, so will try to get it... well DONEx. Hard to type done around here and think of the real meaning.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
What is your routing if you don't mind my asking? (ideally noting any codeshares + transit points vs stopovers)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoombee
What is your routing if you don't mind my asking? (ideally noting any codeshares + transit points vs stopovers)
Sure.

CAI(BA)-LHR(QR)-DOH(QR)-CDG(QR)-DOH(26:40 stop)(QR)-SYD(JL)-NRT(JL)-DEL(JL)-NRT(UL)-CMB(UL)-NRT(AA op by JL)-BOS(4 day stop)(AA)-LAX(26:14 stop)(AA)-MBJ(AA)-LAX(AA)-DFW(QR)-DOH

64,006 BIS miles in Mileage Monkey, 63,997 in Milecalc.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
EF is not showing me prices for AONE5/6

Happy wandering

Fred

PS
It looks like my one BA segment blew my airline fees out of the water
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
You sure you're checking in the right place? I'm on EF and seeing AONE5 at $5,937.39 and AONE6 at $6,924.64 (both ex-CAI and in USD, of course).
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_fred

Happy wandering

Fred

PS
It looks like my one BA segment blew my airline fees out of the water
On EF, I'm seeing:
AONE5 - $6502.85
AONE6 - $7584.12
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I was looking in EGP with AA and QF. Still zero shown as 0(EGP)

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:47 am

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to minimise taxes can you give me some advice on how i can avoid hefty taxes.
I used the online tool the other day and the total taxes and fees were over $2k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.