Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

AA rates desk issue? [changing RTW ticket]

Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF

Currently on a DONE3. Have taken the first 2 sectors, at DFW A before sector 3.

Asked about changing flights times for 2 AA flights (sectors 4 and 7). Both flights show the needed A availability. Agent in the club set the changes up and contacted the rates desk, who then tried to charge the $125 "Changes
to ticketed points" fee.

When I checked the booking on aa.com this morning, it was more then happy to offer a same day change to today's flight for free.

Checking the rules, I notice that the mentions of "Date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory" was changed to "ticketed points", but that was done early last year and they didn't try to charge for date/time changes during my DONE3 in Oct/Nov last year.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I'm confused. Did you just change the TIME? No change to the cities or the order? If so the $150 should not have been charged. RTW allow free changes.

The agent in the club probably wasn't aware and the rate desk is still very much learning RTW tickets since legacy US agents are not as in-the-know as legacy AA agents.

Suggest you call the RTW desk and have them refund the $150 fee...
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:54 am
Original Poster

The agent noticed it was a RTW trip when she saw the fare basis on the eticket paperwork and mentioned it had been some time since she had seen one. It appeared that she believed me when I said they were free changes, but had to go with what the rates desk told her.
I didn't pay since I knew the rules and it was changed back.

I'm changing one sector (the next one, PDX-LAX) to an earlier flight (AA6026 to AA6025) and the last US domestic (DTW-DFW) to a later flight (AA43 to AA301). Same dates, same carrier, same routes, just a time change.

It's with the travel agent back in AU now. They have it set up to change, but AA is making them wait until the last sector (DFW-PDX) is showing in the ticketing GDS as used.

The only flights on my trip that a simple time change would cause a "ticketed points" fee is changing the OSL-LHR-DFW to have 2 more hours in LHR then currently ticketed, causing a 22 hour connection to become a stop over.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Himeno
The only flights on my trip that a simple time change would cause a "ticketed points" fee is changing the OSL-LHR-DFW to have 2 more hours in LHR then currently ticketed, causing a 22 hour connection to become a stop over.
I was going to ask - are you turning a conx into a stop or a stop into a conx, as that would do it, but you seem to be aware of that intricacy...

Bearing in mind that a US domestic to domestic conx is one under 4 hours, you're probably still ahead of the RTW agent who was trying to charge a fee...
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Himeno
The agent noticed it was a RTW trip when she saw the fare basis on the eticket paperwork and mentioned it had been some time since she had seen one. It appeared that she believed me when I said they were free changes, but had to go with what the rates desk told her.
I didn't pay since I knew the rules and it was changed back.

I'm changing one sector (the next one, PDX-LAX) to an earlier flight (AA6026 to AA6025) and the last US domestic (DTW-DFW) to a later flight (AA43 to AA301). Same dates, same carrier, same routes, just a time change.

It's with the travel agent back in AU now. They have it set up to change, but AA is making them wait until the last sector (DFW-PDX) is showing in the ticketing GDS as used.

How long will this connection be after the change? Or are you currently stopping over in DTW?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

DTW is a stopover.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JAXBA
[COLOR="Navy"]I was going to ask - are you turning a conx into a stop or a stop into a conx, as that would do it
Are you sure that changing between connections and stops counts as a ticketed point change? I know I've done that on RTWs and only had to pay taxes/fee differences, not the $125 re-route fee. The list of airports remains the same in the same order, and I've always believed that to be the "ticketed points".
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you sure that changing between connections and stops counts as a ticketed point change? I know I've done that on RTWs and only had to pay taxes/fee differences, not the $125 re-route fee. The list of airports remains the same in the same order, and I've always believed that to be the "ticketed points".
Changing from a transit to a stopover is a change of routing requiring a reissue (and recalculation of taxes) and the $125 fee will be charged. It's been this way for some time. Maybe you've gotten lucky or maybe the fee has been hidden in the new tax calculation.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23595361-post758.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17573172-post283.html
I think we've discussed this same issue in the past here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...estions-2.html
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you sure that changing between connections and stops counts as a ticketed point change?
Yes.

Sounds like you've been lucky!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.