Wiki Posts
Search

OneWorld Emerald luggage allowance on QF marketed ticket and EK metal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
OneWorld Emerald luggage allowance on QF marketed ticket and EK metal

Can anyone please help me from own experience? Last year I flew to Australia return on a QF ticket and received Avios points for the EK operated flights, no issue at all (as indicated on the BA website). I'm now thinking of a SIN-SYD flight booked through Qantas and this time luggage allowance is the issue rather than my Avios.

If I book through QF and on a QF flight number but on EK metal, do I still get my additional luggage allowance through my BA Gold membership? There's the very tempting offer to fly through Melbourne on an EK A380 for the same price as going direct on one of the old QF rattlers, that's why I'm asking. Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
If I book through QF and on a QF flight number but on EK metal, do I still get my additional luggage allowance through my BA Gold membership?
No
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jridge
No
Based on your experience or just as an assumption? What strikes me as strange, and hence my question, is that on the Qantas website, under tier benefits, for Sapphire benefits it uses the following wording the the specification on the bottom of the page:

37. On flights operated or marketed by any oneworld partner airline, Sapphire members travelling in Economy and Premium Economy on international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance “weight” system receive 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy allowance; on international itineraries (including domestic sectors flown as part of international itineraries) using the baggage allowance “piece” system – receive a second bag, weighing up to 23 kgs, when the ticketed allowance is one bag

If this applies to EK operated but OW marketed flights for the Sapphire benefits, then surely it's worth asking the question whether this applies to the benefits of a higher tier as well. It's not a big deal if not for some reason, I just want to know from someone who's really in the know.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges

Originally Posted by OW
oneworld benefits are available only to top tier frequent flyers of the oneworld airlines when travelling on flights that are both operated and marketed by a oneworld member airline.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How do you then explain the Sapphire benefits for OneWorld members on 'Oneworld marketed flights' as in my quote from the QF website above?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
How do you then explain the Sapphire benefits for OneWorld members on 'Oneworld marketed flights' as in my quote from the QF website above?
I don't think we have to explain anything. Oneworld status benefits apply to oneworld marketed and operated flights. See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...erated-ek.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-qf-ek.html
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I don't think we have to explain anything.
No need to brush off my very valid question in such an aggressive tone. While at the same time nicely covering up the fact that you seem to simply not know the answer to why Qantas explicitly talks about 'On flights operated or marketed by any oneworld partner airline, Sapphire members...receive their OW benefits'. This quote from the Qantas website reads pretty straight forward, at least what Sapphire status benefits is concerned and seems to totally contradicts what you are saying.

Would be nice to hear from anyone who actually has tried and tested. That you get Avios points and even BA status credits doesn't really make sense in the narrow OneWorld or not OneWorld view either as far as I can tell.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
No need to brush off my very valid question in such an aggressive tone. While at the same time nicely covering up the fact that you seem to simply not know the answer to why Qantas explicitly talks about 'On flights operated or marketed by any oneworld partner airline, Sapphire members...receive their OW benefits'. This quote from the Qantas website reads pretty straight forward, at least what Sapphire status benefits is concerned and seems to totally contradicts what you are saying.

Would be nice to hear from anyone who actually has tried and tested. That you get Avios points and even BA status credits doesn't really make sense in the narrow OneWorld or not OneWorld view either as far as I can tell.
Your questions are properly directed to QF. Ask them. I don't know why QF says that on their website and I don't need to explain what QF puts on its own website.

While I haven't tried to use BA Gold status to obtain a oneworld status benefit on an EK operated flight I have flown as a oneworld emerald and sapphire on other oneworld airline marketed and non-oneworld airline operated flights and not been entitled to, or received, oneworld status benefits. You can look at the second thread I linked earlier for those who have "tried and tested" under your specific conditions.

If you believe that you are correct and trust in that single page on QF's website, then book the flight you want. I don't really care. I can only relate my own tried and tested experience over a number of years.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Your questions are properly directed to QF. Ask them. I don't know why QF says that on their website and I don't need to explain what QF puts on its own website.
H- funny that, I never forced you to explain anything, I rather asked friendly if there are any helpful people on here who can comment on this from their own experience. You obviously simply have no clue (i.e. as you say never tried it yourself) and from your harsh brush off response are also not a very helpful person. No one forcing you to do anything so all good
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The One World site had the correct information regarding the benefits

They ONLY apply when marketed and operated by a OW Airline

What QF defines on its site - which is targetted at its own members - is (a) irrelevent since you are using status on BA , (b) statement only mentions sapphire status and not emerald and (c) in general , incorrect

Only when you travel on flights both marketed and operated by OW flights , does that benefit apply
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on your experience or just as an assumption? What strikes me as strange, and hence my question, is that on the Qantas website, under tier benefits, for Sapphire benefits it uses the following wording the the specification on the bottom of the page:

[I]37. On flights operated or marketed by any oneworld partner airline, Sapphire members travelling in Economy and Premium Economy on international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance “weight” system receive 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy allowance...
EK (operator) is not a oneworld partner airline. It is a QF partner airline.
Airlines have alliance & non alliance partners.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
EK (operator) is not a oneworld partner airline. It is a QF partner airline.
Airlines have alliance & non alliance partners.
Yes, I know this. That's why the 'or marketed by a oneworld partner airline' is what strikes me. This is a very specific wording and clearly implies that 'marketed by a oneworld airline' (i.e. Qantas) would qualify somehow. Maybe it's just a peculiar wording, I'll just book a direct flight on QF to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:15 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
.....There's the very tempting offer to fly through Melbourne on an EK A380 for the same price as going direct on one of the old QF rattlers, that's why I'm asking. Thanks a lot!
Is there that much of a difference between the QF A380s and the EK A380s?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:18 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Yes, I know this. That's why the 'or marketed by a oneworld partner airline' is what strikes me. This is a very specific wording and clearly implies that 'marketed by a oneworld airline' (i.e. Qantas) would qualify somehow. Maybe it's just a peculiar wording, I'll just book a direct flight on QF to be on the safe side.
The wording is wrong but QF was trying to convey that QFF status earns extra baggage on EK metal when marketed by QF ... no extra baggage allowance for Oneworld status on EK flight even when marketed by QF. They ignore this condition as <0.00001% of their pax fall into that category

The OP is wanting EK A380 over the QF A330 but doesn't realize that the QF A330 is now refitted with nice J seats (or perhaps isn't flying J). Given the detour via MEL it is rather a strange choice, but this is FT after all.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's one thing to be a QFF flying EK as a QF codeshare, and it's another to be oneworld Emerald on any other oneworld airline. As a BA Gold, what QF tells its QFF members is not material, as you are not meeting the oneworld standard of "marketed and operated by...".

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 4, 2016 at 11:29 pm Reason: Correct coding - thanks, colleague

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.