BOM - KUL/BKK - MEL: MH or TG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas PlatinumOne (OneWorld Emerald)

Hi everyone,

I'm flying BOM to MEL, and it will be either MH via KUL or TG via BKK. I'd be flying Business Class with either.

Can anybody give me any advice as to which they recommend?

As far as I can tell, it would be a no-bed Business Class with MH on a 737 from BOM to KUL, and then the newer A330 horizontal-flat bed from KUL to MEL.

With TG, I think both legs would be their angled-flat bed (ie, the older product) on a 777. I'd seen some reference online to TG rolling out their newer Business Class on the BKK-MEL route, but that doesn't seem to be what I'm offered when I look for tickets.

(It's very possible that I've got some of the details above wrong though, so please correct me if you know better!)

Seems like both airlines share a lounge at BOM, but I know nothing about the relative merits of Star Alliance lounges at BKK or OneWorld at KUL.

(Btw - despite what my bio says, I sadly no longer have BAEC Gold, so I couldn't access OW First lounges.)

I have no experience at all with either of these two airlines or these routes, and I'm keen to make the right choice, so any input much appreciated...

Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
I haven't done this particular route, but having connected at both KUL and BKK, I'd definitely recommend KUL as a more painless connection. Walking distances are short, there's a frequent, easy shuttle from the main terminal (737s) to the satellite (A330s), and both MH lounges, while nothing to write home about, are far preferable to the TG lounges in BKK (although you get a free massage in BKK, which is a nice treat!). BKK on the other hand has long walking distances and can be a zoo at the wrong time of day

You're right that the MH 737 is only recliners in J, but it's a small and therefore intimate cabin, and the IFE is better than on a TG widebody - you can always get your sleep on the KUL-MEL leg. The service is generally good, but can be hit and miss on both, depending on the mood of the crew. Personally I prefer the service style on MH, and the food is much, much better on MH. MH used to have a lounge in MEL, but if that's gone, at least there's the QF lounge, which I prefer to the NZ lounge used by TG

Just to manage expectations, neither is a patch on SQ nor (abysmal food aside) CX. CX would probably be my choice on this route, given the guaranteed flat beds and HKG lounges
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
MH new J seat is very attractive. The 737 is a recliner and is fine so long as you aren't trying to sleep its fine. I'd go MH for comfort and ease of KUL transfer and lounge. HOWEVER, BKK to Australia is another 90 mins longer and just gives you a,little more opportunity for 8 hours sleep which you can't get from KUL because by the time the seat belt sign is off and on at the other end, you'll be lucky to get 6. So depends on what you're interested in.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:57 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Cross-posting is against FT rules so I'm closing this thread.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.