Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW Workaround: Multiple ticket numbers on a single PNR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by nort
The TA says the single reservation will still be two PNRs if there are two separate tickets priced separately and added in a single reservation. I think something is lost in translation between me and him. Is he talking about the internal record locator for the other airline if the flight is on two different airlines? Is it the same as "two PNRs"?
If your TA indeed said that, the TA is simply not capable enough or is not using a conventional, full-fledged GDS. Many TAs in the US don't actually use GDS.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
If your TA indeed said that, the TA is simply not capable enough or is not using a conventional, full-fledged GDS. Many TAs in the US don't actually use GDS.
Even if they are two separate airlines (AA and QR) and two different classes (J and Y), can they still be booked in the same PNR through GDS as long as the fare basis of both allow end-on-end combinations?

The TA said the QR J fare can only be combined with AA domestic F fare, because as soon as he adds a AA domestic Y fare, the system tells him to do a F fare instead. He essentially ends up with a QR listed fare basis between my overall original and destination, and says those segments get "automarried". It seems like it's not true, because I'm at a loss for explaining him what to do or how to do it, and this is the second TA that I spoke to who cannot build such an itinerary.

Last edited by nort; Sep 29, 2016 at 10:06 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Seems like they're able to book AA/QR in the same PNR. So far so good.

Now they need to price them separately, and store one fare for the AA flight only and another fare for the QR flights only - and not, as they seem to be doing, pricing them together.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by nort
Even if they are two separate airlines (AA and QR) and two different classes (J and Y), can they still be booked in the same PNR through GDS as long as the fare basis of both allow end-on-end combinations?

The TA said the QR J fare can only be combined with AA domestic F fare, because as soon as he adds a AA domestic Y fare, the system tells him to do a F fare instead. He essentially ends up with a QR listed fare basis between my overall original and destination, and says those segments get "automarried". It seems like it's not true, because I'm at a loss for explaining him what to do or how to do it, and this is the second TA that I spoke to who cannot build such an itinerary.
1) Regarding end-to-end combinations, more and more airlines now would not allow other airlines to sell most of its own fares, so it indeed might be impossible to issue an AA fare and a QR fare on the same ticket. However, that has nothing to do with issuing 2 different fares on 2 separate tickets in a single PNR.
2) It might be because your TA kept trying to price the entire itinerary together, instead of separating different segments into different price quotes.
3) If you can share your complete desired itinerary with flights, dates, and origin / destination info, I (we) can look for you.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:47 am

Just some of my personal experience with multiple tickets on a single PNR.

Usually I buy RTW tickets (both OW and Star) from a European TA. At the same time or later I add some regional flights to the PNR on different tickets. The TA does that without any problems even on different alliances (for example a OW RTW with LHR-JNB F with an SA Airlink RT from JNB in Eco). That still does not mean that BA would check luggage thru onto SA Airlink, but it is in one PNR.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
That still does not mean that BA would check luggage thru onto SA Airlink, but it is in one PNR.
Well here we're talking about thru-checking bags in one PNR with separate tickets because the new oneworld rule states that oneworld carriers only need to through-check bags across different tickets between oneworld carriers if they are in one PNR. Of course it would not apply to a OW-*A connection.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
1) Regarding end-to-end combinations, more and more airlines now would not allow other airlines to sell most of its own fares, so it indeed might be impossible to issue an AA fare and a QR fare on the same ticket. However, that has nothing to do with issuing 2 different fares on 2 separate tickets in a single PNR.
2) It might be because your TA kept trying to price the entire itinerary together, instead of separating different segments into different price quotes.
3) If you can share your complete desired itinerary with flights, dates, and origin / destination info, I (we) can look for you.
I think I've found a TA who can put a QR J and AA Y ticket in the same PNR and price them individually. It was the fourth one I spoke to on the phone. If it weren't for the informed members of this forum, I would have believed what the first TA told (and the next two repeated).

I've sent you a private message with the routings and dates I'm looking for. Thanks much!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:54 am

Apologies if this is a silly question,
Most of the above discussion relates to the ability to through check luggage with separate tickets within a single PNR. Does this arrangement also result in "protection" of all segments in this PNR?
I.e. if I miss a sector on one ticket due to a misconnect, are the airline going to put me on the next available flight even though it is on a separate ticket within the same PNR?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by EI147
Apologies if this is a silly question,
Most of the above discussion relates to the ability to through check luggage with separate tickets within a single PNR. Does this arrangement also result in "protection" of all segments in this PNR?
I.e. if I miss a sector on one ticket due to a misconnect, are the airline going to put me on the next available flight even though it is on a separate ticket within the same PNR?
Technically, no, but some airlines might be willing to go the "extra mile" for you.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA CK - 3MM, Bonvoy Lfe Titanium
I am trying to solve the same issue. One ticket LAX-MUC/1 PNR comes in at $4,756 in Biz but if I separate them as two tickets, I get $3,806 plus $408 for $4214. Since there are 4 of us (3 adults and 1 kid), it adds up ($18,124 for 1 ticket/1 PNR vs. $14263 as two tickets/2 PNR). I am hoping to keep them as two tickets but in one PNR as described here but no luck yet.

I have a very helpful agent and they are trying everything they can but they have not figured it out. They are using Amadeus if I remember right.

If someone here has the ability and time to check my itin and see if it is feasible, I would be very appreciative. Here is the itin we are shooting for:

July 3 LAX-LHR AA 136
July 4 LHR- MUC BA 954

July 24 MUC-LHR BA 951
Jult 24 LHR-LAX AA 135

3 adults and 1 child fare in business

Many thanks to the knowledge here so far.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by globetrotter4$
I am trying to solve the same issue. One ticket LAX-MUC/1 PNR comes in at $4,756 in Biz but if I separate them as two tickets, I get $3,806 plus $408 for $4214. Since there are 4 of us (3 adults and 1 kid), it adds up ($18,124 for 1 ticket/1 PNR vs. $14263 as two tickets/2 PNR). I am hoping to keep them as two tickets but in one PNR as described here but no luck yet.

I have a very helpful agent and they are trying everything they can but they have not figured it out. They are using Amadeus if I remember right.

If someone here has the ability and time to check my itin and see if it is feasible, I would be very appreciative. Here is the itin we are shooting for:

July 3 LAX-LHR AA 136
July 4 LHR- MUC BA 954

July 24 MUC-LHR BA 951
Jult 24 LHR-LAX AA 135

3 adults and 1 child fare in business

Many thanks to the knowledge here so far.
BA951/24JUL arrives LHR at 14:00 and AA135/24JUL leaves LHR at 15:05, which is below the MCT (90 min). I don't know if that's why your agent couldn't do it.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:23 pm

Hi all.

So my travel agent “combined” a BA ticket (which I booked on my own) to an AY/JL itinerary that I booked through them, so 2 separate tickets and I know BA’s official line is they won’t through check. However he said he managed to combine them to one single PNR on Sabre. However, BA or AY/JL can’t seem to see the sectors when I give them the Sabre PNR. They can see their own bookings with their own record locators but not the combined itinerary. Ironically the sabre PNR does load on their individual websites albeit redirecting only to the AY/JL itinerary but no mention of the BA sectors.

But then in TripCase the full combined itinerary can be seen.
Does this help my case and maybe on BA’s check in systems it will appear as a single PNR and they’ll maybe through check?

Any help/advice appreciated or if any TA seeing this can help that would be great!

Thanks.
Nik
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by coolnikhit28
Does this help my case and maybe on BA’s check in systems it will appear as a single PNR and they’ll maybe through check?
It will not if neither the ticket nor the BA Amadeus PNR copy contains the other segments. If your TA uses "YK segments" to "combine," it is pretty much for your convenience to have everything visible in one file only and for you only, and BA/AY/JL won't see that. Situation may be a bit different if AA is involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.