Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Despite the policy some travellers have succeeded in having bags interlined. But do not rely on baggage being interlined

Link to on line blog http://www.ausbt.com.au/connecting-b...liance-skyteam

Individual threads of Oneworld Airlines interlining between separate tickets / PNRs Sky Team
AF AF will not interline anymore across reservations?
DL Delta Confirms Through-Check Baggage Policy (11 January 2016)
DL Interlining Checked Bags DL to BA

Star Alliance
UA Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Edit
Fixing formatting after software downgrade
Added AS
Strike out LA
AS no longer interlines on separate tickets

Print Wikipost

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
As I said, I am not condoning or agreeing with the airline behaviour - just trying to understand why they did this.
The only reason they did it is the same reason they did the same to non partner airlines years ago. Costs and issues involved with charging other carriers when things don't go to plan and someone has to pay for the needed service recovery.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
There is also an industry-wide e-ticket system limitation of 16 coupons per e-ticket, including surface sectors. While a PNR can contain many more sectors, an e-ticket cannot. This was defined as industry standard almost 10 years ago.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
BA has said that they will not interline even their own flights if issued separately... eg CDG-LHR, LHR-JFK. You'd have to pick up your bags at LHR.

But CX will interline between KA and CX flights even issued on separate tickets, and on separate PNRs. CX will interline to other carriers if all the bookings are on the same PNR, eg Amadeus when on separate tickets.

Don't know what the others are gonna do.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
This is a huge fail on One World's part.

Mixed redemptions are a plenty good reason. As are added internal flight segments after the TATL or TPAC flights are settled.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by beachfan
This is a huge fail on One World's part.

Mixed redemptions are a plenty good reason. As are added internal flight segments after the TATL or TPAC flights are settled.
I would not say that the latter is a good reason.

It is possible to change the original flight to include the internal flight segments - it may be cheaper to book separately, but I do not see that it makes it a good reason why the airline should give the benefits of a through ticket
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
BA has said that they will not interline even their own flights if issued separately...
I suspect because too many people (in BAs mind) were for example flying.

Disc Y LHR-xxx
Business xxx-LHR-JFK

in order to take advantage of much cheaper BA fares on the continent (and reduced APD on the transit).
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Isn't there even a bigger scenario.

Airlines the world over, would like to see the end of "checked bags".
When you think about the cost involved in transporting your bag - checking it, transporting it, returning it to you. Mega, just mega cost, all that equipment, all those people, all that weight.

Roller aboard is the desired outcome, specially for the clients that are leapfrogging from country to country (chasing low cost fare options or adding award segments) and multipling the "bag handling" cost factor.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:07 am

It looks like OW's 'Seamless travel' is coming apart at the seams.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by in2it54

When you think about the cost involved in transporting your bag - checking it, transporting it, returning it to you. Mega, just mega cost, all that equipment, all those people, all that weight.

Roller aboard is the desired outcome, specially for the clients that are leapfrogging from country to country (chasing low cost fare options or adding award segments) and multipling the "bag handling" cost factor.
Not sure what you are exactly trying to say. Are you suggesting that airlines might be able to noticeably reduce or phase out checked baggage altogether (and thus avoid all those costs which you point out) by significantly inconveniencing the small minority of passengers who are connecting across different PNRs, when in reality the majority of checked bags likely belong to passengers on plain vanilla PNR/tickets?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by in2it54

Careful of what you ask for.
Then airlines would have more empty cargo holds.
Then overhead bin spaces would be like gold.
Then they will think let's make some more $$$$ let sell priority boarding and sell checked bags for all the empty space below.
Then we have what we call 'Ryanair'
The lets make pax stand lets remove lavs lets .....
Say if all airlines buy that idea, Boeing will convert all planes to freighters and just keep squeezing people in like Tokyo metro during rush hour.

And just to add to the fun, Russians did explored that concept where you drop your own bags in the plane. It's called the Il-86.

Now back to the topic, I would say they just simply want to avoid the liabilities of misconnects.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
There are two aspects of this change that are irritating to me.

I booked an award trip to Asia using BA Avios for travel in a few weeks. AA-CX-CX. It is a three segment trip, but all three segments were not available at the time of original booking so they were booked one-at-a-time as they became available.

Since BA charges Avios by segment now, it wasn't a problem.

So I have three PNRs because that was the only way to book it, which wasn't an issue under the prior rules. I am now being penalized due to the lack of availability of award space.

Secondly, the rules in place at the time all segments were booked was that they would check the bags through. AFTER booking, they are changing the rules retroactively. That's slimy.

I checked-in for a separate revenue ticket on AA last week and asked if AA would still check my bags through to CX on a separate PNR. Nope. Was told the system will no longer allow them to do this and it cannot be overridden.

Great.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Has anyone had experience of what happens if you have multiple tickets from multiple carriers on one PNR from an OTA? It would be a nuisance and not really what you or the airline want you to do but, if it works, it would serve them right!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:13 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I checked-in for a separate revenue ticket on AA last week and asked if AA would still check my bags through to CX on a separate PNR. Nope. Was told the system will no longer allow them to do this and it cannot be overridden.

Great.
This is strange because AA's statement to the media is that they will continue to check through to other OW carriers on separate tickets:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-air...ecting-flights

"American Airlines is not changing anything at this time, and we will continue to thru-check bags on multiple PNRs with Oneworld carriers" says Casey Norton, AA's Director of Corporate Communications, in what will be welcome news for many frequent flyers to the USA.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I'll let you know on Friday when I check-in with AA.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I'll let you know on Friday when I check-in with AA.
I wonder what happened on Friday.

At least Cx will still do Seperate pnr's and Cx family of flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.