Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Despite the policy some travellers have succeeded in having bags interlined. But do not rely on baggage being interlined

Link to on line blog http://www.ausbt.com.au/connecting-b...liance-skyteam

Individual threads of Oneworld Airlines interlining between separate tickets / PNRs Sky Team
AF AF will not interline anymore across reservations?
DL Delta Confirms Through-Check Baggage Policy (11 January 2016)
DL Interlining Checked Bags DL to BA

Star Alliance
UA Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Edit
Fixing formatting after software downgrade
Added AS
Strike out LA
AS no longer interlines on separate tickets

Print Wikipost

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There goes one of the features of Oneworld flying that got business of mine that would otherwise not have remained within the Oneworld network.

Originally Posted by moa999
Pretty sure it was only AA that had a stated policy about this
It wasn't only AA that had such a policy. I am not going to repeat the points which I've made in this regard before on the BA and other Oneworld forums on FT, but I have no doubt that this wasn't only an AA policy when it came to Oneworld carriers.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Next problem for OW will be the Visit Pass tickets. Of which there are quite a few. They (in most cases) must be issued in conjunction with an arriving OW ticket and allow for multiple segments within the designated area. Do these rule changes mean that the OW Pass tickets must be issued on the same PNR as the long haul? If so, it means that on-line purchases will no longer be possible.

Happy wandering

Fred
Only if you want to through-check a bag, surely?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you choose not to book OW, what will you then book? How many of the major carriers which provide a relatively large international network are willing to contractually commit to interlining across tickets?

There is no reason for a carrier to do so. All the carrier does is accept liability without benefiting from the revenue associated with single-ticket revenue. Presumably, when booking an itinerary, one books the most cost-effective ticketing scheme. One ticket if all else is equal.

As to protection across tickets, only AA has guaranteed it. While most major carriers seem to deal with rebooking, there is no OW guarantee as there is with IATA tariffs, e.g., that the late-delivering carrier is responsible for rebooking, nor does the EC 261/2004 "duty of care" scheme come into play, whereby the passenger's needs on the ground are handled during the flight interruption.

The baggage issue is a mess for tight connections and those involving a border, particularly for individuals who may have complex document issues, let alone prohibitive document issues. The connection issue will likely be dealt with through improved offerings from private insurers willing to step into the breach for a fee.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
(1) OW airlines very clearly had a policy - stated or otherwise - to accommodate passengers on multiple tickets in the event of IRROPS. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been necessary for them to state the the "disruptions policy" was changed as well.

(2) CX has now made it clear - see the chart linked to by moa999 above- that they will not provide assistance to flyers affected by flight disruptions traveling on multiple tickets. This is a major negative that most certainly reduces the value of the OW alliance to a typical customer. For example, if traveling around Asia, and my CX flight into HKG is delayed causing me to miss the AA HKG-DFW flight, I am now stranded in HKG with no alternative other than to buy a new ticket at the walk-up fare?? If that is the case, then why bother booking my intra-Asia flights on CX?

(3) The excerpt from the BA policy posted by moa999 specifically states that the "Most Generous Allowance rule for baggage" will no longer apply to multiple tickets.

It is very hard to see how anyone would not recognize these changes as being unfriendly to consumers. It is likewise hard for me to understand how OW airlines think that this will make anyone more likely to fly with them.

As a OW Emerald, the only two things that I place value on are (1) IRROPS handling and (2) lounge access. These changes make both of those less valuable since (1) they won't provide it anymore and (2) my time will be wasted chasing around airports rechecking my bags.
ElizaB likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
If you choose not to book OW, what will you then book?
Whatever makes more sense than Oneworld flights for my trip needs. The fact of the matter is that the Oneworld "seamless travel" policy and experiences were what helped Oneworld carriers get some more of my business that they would have otherwise gotten if not but for this policy. Unfortunately, not enough people were made to appreciate this policy and so now it bites the dust in more than one way.

The following is not true with regard to what Oneworld carriers had previously guaranteed:

Originally Posted by Often1
As to protection across tickets, only AA has guaranteed it.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by daniellam
Hypothetical Question:

If the airlines started charging say USD 50-100/bag on top of existing checked baggage fees (if applicable) to have your bag interlined across separate PNRs / separate tickets, would you pay for it?

This can help offset the cost of re-routing any lost bags in the process (which would be a small percentage) while at the same time generate additional revenue.

Perhaps they should have considered charging for it instead of no longer doing it?
Baggage handling costs are bit parts in the picture, if even in the picture. The primary driver is ticket revenue related, with baggage fee revenue and check-in-agent related costs being secondary.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The following is not true with regard to what Oneworld carriers had previously guaranteed:
So you keep saying without providing proof... While OW carriers have generally been helpful and in many cases provided protection, although sometimes after a lot of pressure, I don't believe (apart from AA) that it has every been official policy, and I had always viewed connecting flights as a risk
(yet have done a number myself - including turnarounds in countries where I didn't have a visa eg KHI)

As an example, from a post on this topic on the AFF board:
Last year my TA had booked 3 tickets in the same PNR, one of the ticket was a BA operated flight marketed by AY connecting to a QF flight. I was no show on the QF flight due to a 4 hour delay on the BA flight. BA was not able to rebook me on QF (computer says no) and the agent kept repeating that these were separate tickets, so I was not protected anyway. To make a long story short, after multiple calls to QF and being told to pay the no show fee (which was eventually not charged) QF rebooked me on a later flight. So I'm not sure if airlines protect PAX connections if separate tickets in a single PNR. Or maybe I should have called AY? But neither QF nor BA told me that AY was responsible as marketing carrier of the first flight.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Variance in practice/implementation that deviates from policy has always existed as long as I've been around; and thus examples of deviation from prior policy is not news to me.

Originally Posted by moa999
So you keep saying without providing proof...
Proof was provided years ago about this. But if you mean provided in this thread, then yes, for I'm not about to go hunting for the proof yet again to show it yet again.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: QFF
In 2013, I was in Tokyo at the start of the DONE3, when on the way to HND for the first flight, Typhoon Wipha caused most ground transport to halt, causing a late arrival at the airport and missed check in. There were 3 other people on my train heading for the same flight and upon arrival at HND, CX rebooked the flights.
I was flying HND-HKG-JFK.
I had an separate JFK-BOS flight on AA the following morning after planned arrival (8 hour overnight connection). CX rebooked me on to the afternoon HND-HKG, then onto CX888 to JFK via YVR. This change then cut the planned overnight connection to AA down to below JFK I-D MCT.
At the time, AA was still operating their HND-JFK night flights. That day, their flight to JFK had been delayed due to the weather so the AA desk was still open. After getting the CX flights sorted out, I went to the AA counter to sort out the JFK-BOS issue.
After explaining the problem, they quickly moved me to the next JFK-BOS flight.

With this policy change, would AA no longer do the same in a similar situation?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:49 pm

QF follows suit from Sep 1st
http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-tight...n=home-flipper
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:30 am

Update: American Airlines "will continue to thru-check bags on multiple PNRs with Oneworld carriers."

However CX, AY and QF are all adopting the new "one PNR good, two PNRs bad" system.

Details: Oneworld airlines revise baggage policy for connecting flights
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
and here BA

I would like to know, what cost them more ?
A through check
HKT-HKG // HKG-MXP // MXP-DUS
or check in on 3 airports ( 3 times handling ...... )
As already said, it is often impossible to get award tix for the whole trip, so it is common, that people buy add ons by revenue tix. @ least them now should allow to book the revenue fare into the same PNR as the award tix.

without interlining I don't see anymore benefits to book "more expensive" fares ! Then I also can book point to point fares from LCC's

Changes to accepting customers with separate tickets

11 Jun, 2016

Print
Rate this page: / 0.0
From 01 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with our oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:

Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking for flights operated by a oneworld partner, will be accepted for through check-in

Customers that have separate tickets issued in separate PNRs/bookings will not be accepted for through check-in, regardless of which carriers they are connecting on to, including BA or any oneworld partner.
These customers, and their baggage, will only be checked in to the destination showing in the system. No on carriage details are to be added into the check-in system at any stage.
Please note that where a customer has separate tickets, the Most Generous Allowance (MGA) rule for baggage does not apply and any excess baggage will apply as per the ticketed sector for that ticket.
Customers that do have a ticket that has all journeys listed (a 'through ticket'), will continue to receive the full benefits including through checked baggage, most generous baggage allowance and full assistance if their journey is disrupted.

Last edited by bertheike; Jun 15, 2016 at 3:05 am
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by bertheike
I would like to know, what cost them more ?
A through check
HKT-HKG // HKG-MXP // MXP-DUS
or check in on 3 airports ( 3 times handling ...... )
As already said, it is often impossible to get award tix for the whole trip, so it is common, that people buy add ons by revenue tix. @ least them now should allow to book the revenue fare into the same PNR as the award tix.
Obviously the three check-in's cost more. But there are other costs involved, especially when bags go missing - the cost of a courier to deliver your lost bag will wipe out any saving made by through checking. Then there is the whole back office environment (people and computer systems) you need to maintain to deal with all this.

But I suspect that airlines are trying to reduce the revenue leakage. Except for mixed cash/redemption scenarios, you only buy separate tickets because it is cheaper. I think they rather have you buy the through ticket. And this also makes taking advantage of cheaper fares elsewhere more difficult because you ca no longer through check from your positioning flight all the way to your final destination.

By the way, I am not agreeing or condoning this - just trying to understand their rationale.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Except for mixed cash/redemption scenarios, you only buy separate tickets because it is cheaper.
No, that is not true at all.

One scenario is the inability to book flights to certain destinations on the airline website. Another is if combining points/paid bookings. A third is if you want to book the long-haul flights before confirming all the internal flights. Another would be needing to add additional flights to a booking that has reached the 16 sector e-ticketing limit.

There has been times where I've booked trips of up to 35 sectors across up to 5 different tickets because the booking system refused to let me do it in 1.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
No, that is not true at all.

One scenario is the inability to book flights to certain destinations on the airline website. Another is if combining points/paid bookings. A third is if you want to book the long-haul flights before confirming all the internal flights. Another would be needing to add additional flights to a booking that has reached the 16 sector e-ticketing limit.

There has been times where I've booked trips of up to 35 sectors across up to 5 different tickets because the booking system refused to let me do it in 1.
combining points/paid = mixed cash/redemption

OK, if you need 35 sectors in one ticket, then it won't work either. But in the grand scheme of things, how many people book 35 sectors on one ticket? To me that sounds a little extreme.

If you can't book the particular destination on the website, you can usually call them to do this.

The only one is the one where you want to book a long haul before confirming short haul flights. Well you could argue that this is to save money. If you bought fully flexible tickets, you wouldn't have that problem. Yes, it is more expensive, but maybe that is what the airline wants you to buy.

As I said, I am not condoning or agreeing with the airline behaviour - just trying to understand why they did this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.