Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Despite the policy some travellers have succeeded in having bags interlined. But do not rely on baggage being interlined

Link to on line blog http://www.ausbt.com.au/connecting-b...liance-skyteam

Individual threads of Oneworld Airlines interlining between separate tickets / PNRs Sky Team
AF AF will not interline anymore across reservations?
DL Delta Confirms Through-Check Baggage Policy (11 January 2016)
DL Interlining Checked Bags DL to BA

Star Alliance
UA Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Edit
Fixing formatting after software downgrade
Added AS
Strike out LA
AS no longer interlines on separate tickets

Print Wikipost

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
I heard that in HKG you can ask the transit desk to re-tag your bag and someone will then pick up your bag from the carrousel and check it in again. Does that only happen in HKG,or is it common across the globe? Transit desks often ask me for my baggage tags when I travel on separate tickets,does that mean it's possible to re-tag your bag at the transit desk?
Last year, I had one ticket DUS-IST-HKG by TK, and another ticket HKG to KHH by KA. In DUS, TK crew denied my baggage tagged to my destination KHH. When I arrived in HKG, KA transit crew was willing to find my baggage and re-tag it. KA would only issue my BP until they found my baggage. Well, I just sat around the transit desk about 30 mins and then got my BP. This was the case SA to OW. I can't see why OW to OW wouldn't work.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I suspect this change is meant to prevent us from cherry-picking the OW fare structure by taking advantage of competitive factors (e.g. the ME3) who drive down prices on intermediate destinations.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
This will cause me to book fewer flights with OW, no doubt, and more flights with Emirates and the other alliances.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: QFWP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Baggage is an issue, yes, but IMO the FAR BIGGER concern here is the removal of protection for misconnects between OW carriers, if your flights are on different tickets.

That was one of the major benefits of keeping it within the alliance, IMO. A benefit they've now taken away...

Very, very disappointing...
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Febs2
Baggage is an issue, yes, but IMO the FAR BIGGER concern here is the removal of protection for misconnects between OW carriers, if your flights are on different tickets.

That was one of the major benefits of keeping it within the alliance, IMO. A benefit they've now taken away...

Very, very disappointing...
Other than AA, I don't think that benefit was there in the first place.

Nevertheless, it's a pretty poor show from oneworld.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Pretty sure it was only AA that had a stated policy about this
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I have had CX arrange for alternatives when their flight was delayed - and was connecting to another OW partner flight. The original connection was a bit less than 3 hours in SIN coupled with a 2.5 hour delay.

Of course, YMMV.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
CX has been very quick to implenent this policy
http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2

As have BA (from a PDF posted on AFF)

Summary of Changes

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed.
BA, along with our oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in.

How to handle customers with separate tickets in different PNRs
Customers that have separate tickets issued in separate PNRs/bookings will not be accepted for through check-in, regardless of which carriers they are connecting on to, including BA or any oneworld partner.
These customers, and their baggage, will only be checked in to the destination showing in the system. No on carriage details are to be added into the check-in system at any stage. Please note that where a customer has separate tickets, the Most Generous Allowance (MGA) rule for baggage does not apply and any excess baggage will apply as per the ticketed sector for that ticket
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Well at least CX/KA will honor two of their own connecting PNRs.

Next problem for OW will be the Visit Pass tickets. Of which there are quite a few. They (in most cases) must be issued in conjunction with an arriving OW ticket and allow for multiple segments within the designated area. Do these rule changes mean that the OW Pass tickets must be issued on the same PNR as the long haul? If so, it means that on-line purchases will no longer be possible.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
It is very clear from these changes that OW has become totally useless to the consumer. As someone who generally buys premium cabin tickets, the last thing I expect to be doing is fighting with check-in agents about baggage allowances. Very poor show from OW.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Hypothetical Question:

If the airlines started charging say USD 50-100/bag on top of existing checked baggage fees (if applicable) to have your bag interlined across separate PNRs / separate tickets, would you pay for it?

This can help offset the cost of re-routing any lost bags in the process (which would be a small percentage) while at the same time generate additional revenue.

Perhaps they should have considered charging for it instead of no longer doing it?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
It is very clear from these changes that OW has become totally useless to the consumer. As someone who generally buys premium cabin tickets, the last thing I expect to be doing is fighting with check-in agents about baggage allowances. Very poor show from OW.
I do not see how it makes OW useless to a typical consumer. Luggage allowances are not impacted by this change
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I do not see how it makes OW useless to a typical consumer. Luggage allowances are not impacted by this change
Luggage allowances can be impacted. If you have a short haul flight that only allows 50 lbs and connect to a long haul flight that allows 70 lbs, you will be impacted. With the new policy, the you will be limited to the 50 lbs vs the previous 70 lbs.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by deant
Luggage allowances can be impacted. If you have a short haul flight that only allows 50 lbs and connect to a long haul flight that allows 70 lbs, you will be impacted. With the new policy, the you will be limited to the 50 lbs vs the previous 70 lbs.
Under the old policy, there was no such entitlement
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Under the old policy, there was no such entitlement
I agree, although in practice the excess baggage charge that should have been collected was not, and now will be.

I've had an AA domestic Y (0 PC allowance) connecting to a BA longhaul Y (1PC allowance), where AA through-checked and didn't charge. AA will probably still do that. BA probably wouldn't, if the situation was reversed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.