Wiki Posts
Search

TAM - worst OW airline?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
TAM - worst OW airline?

I've flown most of the OW carriers and think (domestic) TAM is just terrible. Given this is only a sampling of 4 flights out of or to GRU domestically. Check-in is terrible (even with OW E status), terminals are hot with no domestic lounges, no business class seats, 30" pitch with really pretty minimal to poor service. 220 seats on a A321??

Given the size and importance of Brazil, I would think an OW airline would want to provide better domestic service - business seats, lounges at major hubs, etc.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Nothing you've described is any different on any other airline in Brazil.

Check in lines vary a lot in my experience, but agree you don't save a huge amount of time in the priority queue.

Lounges and business class seating are not features of the Brazilian domestic market. Never experienced hot terminals, but that's the airport, not TAM.

Brazil can suck.... it took 45 minutes to check in at the AA business class desk on Saturday.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by ajeleonard

Lounges and business class seating are not features of the Brazilian domestic market. Never experienced hot terminals, but that's the airport, not TAM.
Right, and the current owners don't offer business class cabins or domestic lounges in Chile either. VARIG had domestic business class for a while toward the end, but that didn't quite work out ...
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I think it might get worse on S7.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Have you flown S7 and if so what exactly is your problem with them?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Have you flown S7 and if so what exactly is your problem with them?
Based on their Skytrax rating.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:26 pm

Based on their Skytrax rating.
...which is higer than AA,AB,IB and probably a few other OW members?

S7 is amazing for OW elites,extra space seats,lounges at virtually every airport,constant op ups,excellent IT and online services,new fleet of 32X and 738.

Don't make assumptions by purely looking at skytrax
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
S7 = Siberia airlines.

What does this have to do with TAM or domestic flights in Brazil?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
S7 = Siberia airlines.

What does this have to do with TAM or domestic flights in Brazil?
I beleive it's because of the thread title "TAM-worst OW airline?",so some may think that TAM is not the worst
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
If you want slightly better in-flight service and seating in Brazil, try either Avianca (Star Alliance) or Azul (UA MileagePlus partner). Both have more limited networks than TAM or GOL, but are more comfortable. Azul has a version of premium economy; neither has business class. There are no domestic airline lounges in Brazil (except TAM at SDU) as far as I know. Priority Club, Diners, Lounge Club, AMEX Platinum, etc have limited offerings at a few airports. All airlines have priority check-in and boarding queues for seniors, pregnant women, etc by law. TAM has oneworld emerald check-in, separate from the legally mandated priority queue. Sometimes the priority queues are quicker.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Brazil can suck.... it took 45 minutes to check in at the AA business class desk on Saturday.
Which airport?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:27 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
S7 is amazing for OW elites,extra space seats,lounges at virtually every airport,constant op ups,excellent IT and online services,new fleet of 32X and 738
Agreed.

But back to JJ. I'd rank them ahead of AA in some measures. Specifically their carry-on policy. Minimal permitted carrry-ons (5 kg unless it has changed in the last year) makes for easy boarding and everyone gets ample overhead space. This means no scrum to be first on and a cabin which feels less crowded. No FAs running around trying to squeeze bags in non existent space. It works.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by og
Agreed.

But back to JJ. I'd rank them ahead of AA in some measures. Specifically their carry-on policy. Minimal permitted carrry-ons (5 kg unless it has changed in the last year) makes for easy boarding and everyone gets ample overhead space. This means no scrum to be first on and a cabin which feels less crowded. No FAs running around trying to squeeze bags in non existent space. It works.
Not in my experience. Many people with 2 or 3 carry-ons and bins were always full. While I really enjoy the Brazilians, their approach to putting items in bins is just toss it up there and someone else will figure out the arrangement - sort of like how they drive.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:21 pm

...which is higer than AA,AB,IB and probably a few other OW members?

S7 is amazing for OW elites,extra space seats,lounges at virtually every airport,constant op ups,excellent IT and online services,new fleet of 32X and 738.

Don't make assumptions by purely looking at skytrax

I agree with you. Based on my experience is a pretty solid airline.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ajnaro
If you want slightly better in-flight service and seating in Brazil, try either Avianca (Star Alliance) or Azul (UA MileagePlus partner). Both have more limited networks than TAM or GOL, but are more comfortable. Azul has a version of premium economy; neither has business class. There are no domestic airline lounges in Brazil (except TAM at SDU) as far as I know. Priority Club, Diners, Lounge Club, AMEX Platinum, etc have limited offerings at a few airports. All airlines have priority check-in and boarding queues for seniors, pregnant women, etc by law. TAM has oneworld emerald check-in, separate from the legally mandated priority queue. Sometimes the priority queues are quicker.
Exactly my experience too. TAM is definitely not worst I have experienced. For oneworld elites, it is AirBerlin by million miles worse unless you are AB Topbonus member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.