Search

Worlds Apart Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Worlds Apart Alliance

Needed to get from BKK (Bangkok) to KJA (Krasnoyarsk) in Russia so:

Bought Cathay Pacific ticket from Beijing to Peking and a separate S7 ticket from Peking to Krasnoyarsk.
As they are both 'Oneworld' members and i have nearly 2 hours transfer time I can 'interline' tickets.

2nd Jan:

17:40 Board CX flight at BKK
22:00 (about) I arrive at HKG
22:20 (about) am informed by CX staff at lounge that there is delay on the next leg HKG-PEK of about 40 minutes
22:20 (about) I ask whether i will still make PEK to KJA leg, CX staff phone Dragonair and check and confirm can still make transfer, am told CX/KA staff will be waiting for me with sign to rush me through transfer

23:30 (about) CX5996 takes off for Peking 40 minutes late

3rd Jan:

02:20 (about) CX5996 seems to abort landing attempt and go round adding further delay
02:30 (about) land at PEK, no CX/KA staff waiting with sign as promised, find transfer desk, nobody there.
02:40 (about) nobody around except immigration official, she goes behind transfer desk and wakes up S7 lady who was asleep on floor under desk
02:40 (about) she tries to check me in but says flight S70508 just closed. Have to collect bag and go to S7 checkin desk. Could have made it probably if CX staff were there to help
03:00 (about) S7 tell me it is CX/KA problem as they had delay, point me at CX desk but say nobody will be there until 06:00
03:00 - 06:00 I have to sleep next to CX desk

06:00 - 07:00 CX staff finally can 'help', she doesn't know why nobody was there to meet me
06:00 - 07:00 tells me that the S70508 flight i missed is once weekly only, will have to go via Moscow instead
06:00 - 07:00 books me Air China flight to SVO in business class to match the ticket i missed which was business class
06:00 - 07:00 from Moscow to KJA am offered Aeroflot or S7, I take S7 option as is also Oneworld partner so i thought would be more helpful if an issue (wrong!!!)
06:00 - 07:00 for S7 flight i have to swap airports in Moscow from SVO to DME by taxi
06:00 - 07:00 CX girl arranges hotel at PEK so i can rest for four hours before CA flight.
07:00 checkin at hotel

12:15 (about) checkin for CA flight from PEK to SVO
17:00 (about) arrive at SVO
17:30 (about) find out CA have lost my bag
17:30 (about) Very rude Aeroflot representative takes details and files a lost baggage case
18:00 (about) get taxi from SVO to DME
19:00 (about) try to checkin for S7 flight
19:00 (about) no S7 staff speak English
20:00 (about) S7 say problem with CX booking, CX make mistake in booking process
20:00 (about) S7 say not their problem, I have to speak to CX
20:00 (about) information desk say no CX representation in airport
21:00 (about) information staff first helpful person, he tries to get S7 to ring CX but nobody answering phone
21:00 realise i won't be getting S7 flight to KJA, am stranded, i need to arrange hotel. Stranded with no bag!!! Not "one world' more like 'Worlds Apart'
23:00 Find hotel and pay and checkin, go to sleep am exhausted.

4th Jan:

06:00 wake up, start writing up complicated case and am trying to contact CX, filled in customer service web form, get a reply saying they will respond in up to 14 days. Nobody answering phone as is Sunday.

Now trying to contact CX, still stranded in Moscow with no belongings.....
Have joined 'Flyertalk forum' to post thread about case, any advice?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Worlds Apart Alliance

Neither the fact that they have an interline agreement, nor the fact that they are in the same alliance, means you are protected if you book separate tickets. This is not the case on any of the major alliances, though some rare individual airlines do protect passengers who book several tickets.

Had you come on here before booking the tickets, folks would have explained that you misunderstood what an interline agreement is, and "nearly 2 hours" for connecting between separate international carriers on separate tickets is nowhere near safe enough to ensure

Based on what you've described, Cathay actually went above and beyond what it was required to do-- which was to get you to PEK. S7 should have offered to change your ticket for whatever change fee they offer.

Lost baggage happens. I'm sure it must be stressful, but it has no relevance to getting you out of Moscow. The same goes for the play by play of your taxi rides and previous encounters. It decreases the readability of your post and provides no information that would help someone to help you now.

Also, I recommend you use a more descriptive title in the future flagging for readers what it is you want input on.

As this isn't a board of travel agents or airline representatives, there isn't much anyone here can do other than tell you to try and get in touch with the airline when you can.

Tl;Dr. "Was booked on two separate tickets, CX and S7. Missed connection at PEK and CX rebooked me via Moscow. Once I got to the check in for the final leg, DME, S7 says that there is a problem with my ticket and I need to talk to CX. No one is answering the phone I'm calling for CX. What do I do, now that I'm stuck in Moscow?"

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 3, 2016 at 8:12 pm
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

> Had you come on here before booking the tickets, folks would have explained that you

I did read forum and i thought i understood, that's why i went ahead. I actually think it is very hard to find out whether airlines are responsible for you when 'interlining' with information available. Please show me thread that states that they are not liable for interlining passengers due to their own delays.

> Cathay actually went above and beyond what it was required to do

Really, promised to have someone there to help me with transfer, but nobody at all? Above and beyond??

>and "nearly 2 hours" for connecting between separate international carriers on separate tickets is nowhere near safe enough to ensure

It's above the minimum required, if they require more they should change rules. It was only option available.

>It decreases the readability of your post and provides no information that would help someone to help you now.

I do apologise for putting one extra line of information, you're just being silly now.

>Also, I recommend you use a more descriptive title in the future flagging for readers what it is you want input on.

I think it's very relevant as my complaint isn't about delay, these things happen,but about how alliance members can't talk to each other and help passengers transferring between partners as stated on OW website!!

This is OW's statement:

oneworld was the first global alliance to introduce interline ticketing between member airlines, which means you enjoy smooth transfers and greater flexibility across the entire network, and offers the widest range of alliance fares, making it easier to travel throughout its global network.

I don't believe they met this statement hence the post and title.

CX seem to think they were responsible for my onwards flight due to delay. Either way they provided me with ticket itinerary, S7 say there is a mistake in it and i am now stranded. Two OW partners should be able to sort this out between them. If not i don't see ... is the point of the alliance.

Thanks...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:53 pm

Worlds Apart Alliance

I'm sorry you misunderstood what interlining is. It simply doesn't mean that your two tickets are considered one ticket for all intents and purposes. Interlining would be if S7 sold you a ticket with Cathay flights and S7 flights. That's not what you did here.

You also seem to misunderstand the minimum connecting time - which applies when you are booked on a SINGLE ticket - and what is wise to do on two separate tickets.

You seem very angry, and I understand your frustration. But please do not take it out on people who are trying to help you.

Pointing to language on the Oneworld alliance Web page and complaining about whether the alliance is seamless or not is NOT going to help you though.

There was an error made my Cathay Pacific in ticketing you on the new flight. This has nothing to do with them being in the same alliance or not. A human being made an error.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

>I'm sorry you misunderstood what interlining is. It simply doesn't mean that your two tickets are considered one ticket for all intents and purposes. Interlining would be if S7 sold you a ticket with Cathay flights and S7 flights. That's not what you did here.

There is plenty of talk on the forum about 'interlining' two different purchased tickets and people who have done it.

>You also seem to misunderstand the minimum connecting time - which applies when you are booked on a SINGLE ticket - and what is wise to do on two separate tickets.

Again, CX staff told me it was above minimum connecting time 1.5 hours so was ok to go ahead and connect two tickets, which they did. I got my luggage tagged all the way to KJA.

>You seem very angry, and I understand your frustration. But please do not take it out on people who are trying to help you.

Don't be patronising it is an acronym that is used widely and was directed at the point of the alliance, not you. I'm actually very calm considering.

> There was an error made my Cathay Pacific in ticketing you on the new flight. This has nothing to do with them being in the same alliance or not. A human being made an error.

The ticket !!WAS!! interlined by CX staff all the way to KJA. CX didn't meet me at transfer. CX provided me an invalid ticket and S7 can't help me resolve while i'm stranded in Moscow. I would say that is failing the following statement:

Oneworld was the first global alliance to introduce interline ticketing between member airlines, which means you enjoy smooth transfers and greater flexibility across the entire network, and offers the widest range of alliance fares, making it easier to travel throughout its global network.

Thought you knew your stuff at first but now i don't. I stand by all i've written. Let's agree to differ...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Please don't confuse my strong disagreement with anger. You were quite blunt in your first mail stating i didn't know my facts, i'm just pointing out that i think the opposite applies and you are not aware of the full facts:

Here is a very useful link which i didn't see before:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...e-tickets.html

Clearly states it's possible to interline with different tickets but they don't advertise the fact. CX didn't complain when interlining so are responsible for me here in Moscow IMO.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Neither the fact that they have an interline agreement, nor the fact that they are in the same alliance, means you are protected if you book separate tickets. This is not the case on any of the major alliances, though some rare individual airlines do protect passengers who book several tickets.

Had you come on here before booking the tickets, folks would have explained that you misunderstood what an interline agreement is, and "nearly 2 hours" for connecting between separate international carriers on separate tickets is nowhere near safe enough to ensure

Based on what you've described, Cathay actually went above and beyond what it was required to do-- which was to get you to PEK. S7 should have offered to change your ticket for whatever change fee they offer.

Lost baggage happens. I'm sure it must be stressful, but it has no relevance to getting you out of Moscow. The same goes for the play by play of your taxi rides and previous encounters. It decreases the readability of your post and provides no information that would help someone to help you now.

Also, I recommend you use a more descriptive title in the future flagging for readers what it is you want input on.

As this isn't a board of travel agents or airline representatives, there isn't much anyone here can do other than tell you to try and get in touch with the airline when you can.

Tl;Dr. "Was booked on two separate tickets, CX and S7. Missed connection at PEK and CX rebooked me via Moscow. Once I got to the check in for the final leg, DME, S7 says that there is a problem with my ticket and I need to talk to CX. No one is answering the phone I'm calling for CX. What do I do, now that I'm stuck in Moscow?"
Wrong. Carrier that delayed the flight is responsible to reprotect the passenger if they misconnected as long as both flights are oneworld and the connection time is above the MCT. It does not matter if the pax is on a single ticket or not.

It is somewhat more difficult to deal with it when the carrier at fault does not have representation at a particular airport (eg:CX@DME),but they are still responsible for reprotection.

I would advice to buy some skype credits (10$ should be enough) to be able to make cheap international calls to contact airlines which don't have an office at your location (DME in this case).
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Welcome to travelling in the third world (Russia, China...)!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for confirming Rami. They said at BKK that my flights met MCT requirement and connected tickets so are responsible.

I did exactly as you stated, bought VOIP credit:

Phoned CX 3 times today:

This morning: Rung UK office, said they couldn't help and gave me HKG number. They said they would contact PEK office to rectify mistake

This afternoon: no reply, girl said the person i spoke to in the morning had only sent automated system message to PEK, after speaking to her manager she would send email. I asked to speak to manager. She said no manager available even though she had just been speaking to her. Stressed journey time is now over 48 hours, she said PEK had to sort it out, all she can do is send message.

Just now, no response still. Tried ringing again, on waiting music for 20 minutes.

Can't wait any longer, need to get to final destination so will have to buy my own ticket.

Have gone crazy on CX Twitter pages, i'm gobsmacked, thought they were one of the best.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Wrong. Carrier that delayed the flight is responsible to reprotect the passenger if they misconnected as long as both flights are oneworld and the connection time is above the MCT. It does not matter if the pax is on a single ticket or not.
That is not Oneworld policy. AA has a policy on that. While some have suggested that Oneworld has an unpublished policy that *once you are checked in* for a journey they will generally protect you, which would apply here, this very long thread explains otherwise. "All of this sums up as there being no OW policy requiring rebooking across tickets in IROPS." http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25787370-post171.html

Either way, that is not what "interlining" is. As for whether people on here have referred to what you wanted to do as interlining, maybe they were wrong.
Don't trust me? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlining
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/workgr...ages/mita.aspx
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/airli...ent-63912.html

In addition, the fact remains that this should serve as a lesson that the MCT is not necessarily the "wise MCT", especially where the flight you are connecting to is only once a week.

"Going crazy" on Twitter is not going to help you. Be courteous and brief in describing your problem to people, do not rant about "Worlds Apart Alliance." Your problem is a problem with a specific ticket issue.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Adam1222

In addition, the fact remains that this should serve as a lesson that the MCT is not necessarily the "wise MCT", especially where the flight you are connecting to is only once a week.
Well said. That's a great new phrase for my personal practice, which is to always allow at least 3 hours connection regardless of the airport and airline(s) when tickets are separate.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: AA PLT
I think we need a bit more information from the OP before deciding if CX are responsible.

I have travelled many times on separate tickets with BA & CX and the 2 times I've been delayed there is always someone from CX waiting to meet me for the connecting flight as the OP requested.

The key here is whether the OP was through checked by CX onto the S7 flight including boarding passes. If they were then CX will provide connection protection. If not then they will still help but it's more tricky.

There is another thread above which describes this process.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:58 am

Given that the OP created a username to match the Bon mot he thought he was coming up with for this post, and hasn't been back in 2 weeks, I think we can forget about him coming back or bumping this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.