Search

Major AAdvantage revisions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:48 pm
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Major AAdvantage revisions

American Airlines has released information on major revisions to its AAdvantage frequent flyer program, effective in January (and March) of 2016.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...antage2016.jsp

Of particular interest to users of Oneworld member airlines and Oneworld products are revisions to AA's elite status qualifications, which, among other things, eliminate the Elite Qualifying Points (EQP) option for elite qualification and replaces it with "multipliers" to Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) earned in various fare categories. Flights on AA metal can earn additional EQMs per flown mile in premium cabins, a benefit which on first glance does not extend to partners.

The changes are wide-ranging and are are too many to list in one post; feel free to add observations or questions below. I will "stick" this thread for the time being.

Here is the main discussion thread on the AA board: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...announced.html

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Just finished reading the full AA board thread. Unsurprisingly it doesn't discuss how on earth revenue based (AA) RDMs will be calculated on an xONEx product when it all switches to being based on amount paid. This forum is where most xONEx discussion happens so perhaps this is the right thread for anyone with thoughts to comment? Anyone know how Star Alliance RTW products credit to UA as I guess that's a model for what we can expect?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Flights on AA metal can earn additional EQMs per flown mile in premium cabins, a benefit which on first glance does not extend to partners.
I've been looking through the new AA earning tables - https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...lines/main.jsp

The new EQM earning rates for booking classes A/D/L from 1 January 2016 are:
  • In premium cabins the EQM earn will the same as the current EQP earn (1.5 per mile), except that the earn in D class on Malaysian is increased from 1.25 to 1.5 and the earn on S7 is decreased from 1.5 to 1.0
  • In Economy, booking class L, the new EQM earn is generally half the current EQP earn (down from 1.0 per mile to 0.5); the exceptions are those airlines that already gave less than 1.0 - their earn rates appear unchanged. Also the earn on BA will be further halved from 1 Feb 2016 (so down from 0.5 to 0.125)
It looks like the redeemable miles earned are unchanged for now, including class of service bonuses. We’ll have to wait and see what happens when the change to revenue based earn comes in later in 2016.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by zoombee
Just finished reading the full AA board thread. Unsurprisingly it doesn't discuss how on earth revenue based (AA) RDMs will be calculated on an xONEx product when it all switches to being based on amount paid. This forum is where most xONEx discussion happens so perhaps this is the right thread for anyone with thoughts to comment? Anyone know how Star Alliance RTW products credit to UA as I guess that's a model for what we can expect?
I think we will have to wait for AA to decide and announce how partner earn will be handled post-$$-credit. The other interesting observation that was made elsewhere is there is an apparent 75K maximum earn per ticket... Perhaps oops...

Interesting times to want to be wandering

Fred
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:43 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
I've been looking through the new AA earning tables - In premium cabins the EQM earn will the same as the current EQP earn (1.5 per mile), except that the earn in D class on Malaysian is increased from 1.25 to 1.5 and the earn on S7 is decreased from 1.5 to 1.0
[COLOR="White"]
I was referring to this - http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp ... in which A and D buckets on AA metal and codes earn 2 EQM per BIS mile.

Take for example this DONE3 - NRT-HKG-MLE-HKG-JFK-SJU-DFW-ANC-DFW-BOS-LAX-DOH-MAD-DOH-LHR-SIN-NRT . Using AA's former EQP calculation you'd end up with 82,267 EQP, still more than 17K EQP short of the 100K needed for Executive Platinum.

But using the new metric of 1.5 EQM for non-AA flights and 2.0 EQM for AA metal and codeshares (assuming LAX-DOH carries an AA number) the same route earns over 102,000 EQM, enough for EXP with room to spare.

This is still speculative of course - there may well be some sort of cap or limit that I'm not aware of, but at least on the surface this sounds possible.

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
The other interesting observation that was made elsewhere is there is an apparent 75K maximum earn per ticket...
Such as that.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by zoombee
I received the email from AA announcing the changes
In part it said:
Earning award miles for travel on flights marketed by partner airlines will be based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased. We'll have more information about earning on partner airlines in 2016.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:42 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

I will now close this thread; refer to the American board for further discussion.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.