Search

Baggage rule on mixed class OW trip on 2 PNR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi,

I live in London and am travelling to Singapore shortly. I have managed to redeem my miles for a BA CW return flight from LHR to KUL. I have therefore bought an additional KUL to SIN return flight on Y with MH for the final leg. Layover at KUL will be at most 3 hours in either direction.

Given these 2 bookings are on 2 different PNRs. I have the following questions:

1) Can I through check my bags between LHR/SIN?
2) Can I continue with my BA CW baggage allowance on my MH leg on Y ?

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:46 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
1. Yes
2. No
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:09 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by lowdownlo
Hi,

I live in London and am travelling to Singapore shortly. I have managed to redeem my miles for a BA CW return flight from LHR to KUL. I have therefore bought an additional KUL to SIN return flight on Y with MH for the final leg. Layover at KUL will be at most 3 hours in either direction.

Given these 2 bookings are on 2 different PNRs. I have the following questions:

1) Can I through check my bags between LHR/SIN?
2) Can I continue with my BA CW baggage allowance on my MH leg on Y ?

Thanks
Yes on the first....No on the second as you're on two different PNRs. NOW, if it was one PNR, the baggage allowance of the long haul sector would be applied.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
But if you check your bag(s) through, there is a very good chance that they won't try an additional collection KUL/SIN. Logistically, it would be very difficult for them to do. Sure, it's a risk. I'd do it, though; and I'm fairly risk averse when it comes to checked baggage.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Outbound shouldn't be an issue. However he return will likely be problematic, given reports of MH stopping baggage through check- even to oneworld carriers.

Also- While MH offers the addition allowance to oneworld elites, they have restrictions on the number of items- or something like that, which makes things problematic- there's a thread on this in the 'Other Asian Carriers' forum..Again, I'd expect this to be an issue on the return leg only.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:36 am

If you can check thru between different tickets you should be able to get away with the allowance of your first flight. The risk you have: If you check in with the second ticket (at KUL) they most likely will ask you if you have baggage and for the tag numbers. Otherwise your baggage might be left behind for security reasons. In that case they see how much you have and can charge if you are above.

On the way back your first flight is with MH, so their limit applies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.