Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Is canceling the last leg of return flight possible without having to pay extra fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is canceling the last leg of return flight possible without having to pay extra fees?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

My return flight is going to Toronto via Chicago. However, due to some unforeseen circumstances, it is likely that I will need to fly to Buffalo, NY instead of Toronto.

So, 2 questions. Would changing the return leg (now Chicago to Toronto) to (Chicago to Buffalo) result in extra costs? If it does, is it possible to simply ask the airline to cancel my final leg (Chicago to Toronto) such that I disembark in Chicago? I will then fly one-way on another airline to Buffalo, for which I will have to buy another ticket.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

changing the destination will incur a significant fee. (both a change fee and you'd have to pay the difference in fare.)
Just do nothing - get off the plane in Chicago and forget about the other ticket -- so long as you don't have checked luggage.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

and don't make a habit of doing this, with the same airline, under a frequent flyer number, a lot. See also: lots of other threads on this topic.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k

Have a look at the fare rules, it will tell you what change/cancellation fees would be. perhaps it could even give you a credit for future flights, again, depending on fare rules.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Just do nothing - get off the plane in Chicago and forget about the other ticket -- so long as you don't have checked luggage."

The OP does not say where his inbound trip commences. If it's a foreign airport that does not have a U.S. pre-clearance facility, then even a bag checked through to YYZ should not be an issue, as it would have to be collected for Customs inspection at ORD.

The other problem, however, is that if the OP is booked ORD-YYZ on AA, he might find that any ORD-BUF booking he attempts on AA will be canceled, as it would be an "impossible booking" as long as the OP has a reservation on AA's ORD-YYZ flight for roughly the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.