Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Do OneWorld Sapphire/Emerald baggage rules apply to companions?

Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage and OneWorld

I am taking my wife on a four month trip around the world, mostly using OW AAdvantage awards on OneWorld carriers, supplemented by a few purchased tickets on low cost airlines (both OneWorld members and rogues).

I knew that as an AAdvantage Platinum, I receive an extra baggage allowance on OneWorld carriers. But does my wife also receive this perk when travelling on the same reservation with me?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
No. From oneworld.com:
Extra baggage allowance for Emerald frequent flyers

As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs). (This benefit is not available on British Airways 'Hand Baggage Only' fares on select short-haul routes.)

Extra baggage allowance for Sapphire frequent flyers*

As a Sapphire frequent flyer the following special baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines.
On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system you receive 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy allowance.
On international itineraries (including domestic sectors flown as part of international itineraries) using the baggage allowance "piece" system, you will receive a second bag, weighing up to 23 kgs, when the ticketed allowance is one bag.
On domestic itineraries only with flights using the baggage allowance "piece" system, you are guaranteed at least one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs, even when the regular ticketed allowance has no free allowance.

Customers travelling in First and Business Class cabins will in most cases receive an even greater free checked baggage allowance.

*This benefit is not available on British Airways 'Hand Baggage Only' fares on select short-haul routes.
*For domestic routes operated by LAN Airlines, Sapphire cardholders may check in up to two bags with a combined weight not exceeding 23 kgs.
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/extra-baggage-allowance

Individual airlines may provide a complimentary baggage benefit to companions of certain elite members. This is not a oneworld benefit.
For example, BA provides:
Executive Club Gold and Silver members and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members receive additional checked-baggage benefits when flying on British Airways flights.

Executive Club Gold and oneworld Emerald members
•An additional free checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and group rate bookings).
•A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.

Executive Club Silver and oneworld Sapphire members
A checked baggage allowance of two pieces in any World Traveller, Euro Traveller and Domestic cabin for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and group rate bookings).
•A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.
You will need to check the baggage policies of the individual airlines.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Reviving an old thread...

I see on Finnair's website that OneWorld Sapphire gets a free bag, even on economy light fares.

https://www.finnair.com/en/frequentl...icket--1889876

"AS FINNAIR PLUS PLATINUM/GOLD/SILVER MEMBER, CAN I TAKE ONE BAG FREE OF CHARGE WHEN TRAVELLING WITH A LIGHT TICKET?
Yes, Finnair Plus Platinum, Gold and Silver members and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members can always take at least one checked baggage. In addition, Finnair Plus Gold and Platinum members are allowed to take a set of golf, ski or diving equipment on flights operated and marketed by Finnair."

However, if I'm traveling with a companion and book their ticket with mine, do they also receive a free bag from Finnair?
Spanish and TheRealBabushka like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Reviving an old thread...
Glad you did!

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Usually a solo traveler but have upcoming travel plans with companion(s) and difficulty to finding this for OneWorld.

It is always obfuscated and buried deep within their websites.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:43 am

Indeed. Not sure if the response on 11 Aug 2015 was particularly helpful. A rather Napoleonic code response if you ask mejust because it is not spelt out on the ow website doesnt mean it cannot be done

Im sure the answer is out there somewhere

Originally Posted by Spanish
Glad you did!

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Usually a solo traveler but have upcoming travel plans with companion(s) and difficulty to finding this for OneWorld.

It is always obfuscated and buried deep within their websites.
Spanish likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
Indeed. Not sure if the response on 11 Aug 2015 was particularly helpful. A rather Napoleonic code response if you ask mejust because it is not spelt out on the ow website doesnt mean it cannot be done

Gee, Im sorry that you feel my response 7 years ago to the OP of this thread was not particularly helpful. The OP asked if OW Sapphire baggage benefits extended to companions, unfortunately it does not as I pointed out to the OP. I also noted that as the OP was planning to fly various and sundry airlines during his rtw trip that he should look to the baggage policies of the individual airlines he was planning to fly as individual OW members may provide extra baggage privileges to the companions of elite status members of other OW airlines; I directly pointed out the BA policy that does just that.

As for similar policies of every other OW member airline, I guess I assumed that that was quite a bit beyond what someone posting on IBB might be expected to provide especially when the OP did not specify the airlines he might be flying. Directing the OP to the individual airlines (and their forums on FT) would seem to be the most straightforward way for the original OP to obtain that information since there is no OW policy that provides that benefit.

I would suggest that the follow on question by the poster about AY might be dealt with in a similar manner by looking to the individual airline and their forum on FT as there is no OW policy that extends extra baggage benefits to companions. Here is one thread from the AY forum that might be helpful:
OneWorld Emerald/Sapphire Baggage on AY?
pandaperth and Spanish like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka

Let me know when you find it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.