Wiki Posts
Search

Lounges - access, cost, who pays...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Thought this might be of interest to some here.

While I haven't seen the original thread with the info, I've seen a few posters on these boards refer to oneworld using a 'Operating Carrier pays the lounge access cost' concept (as opposed to *A, where supposedly the airline that you have status with, pays).

Was at the MH Golden Lounge / Satellite at KLIA and saw a long list pasted behind the reception counters (sort of as a handy reference to the attendants). The list details various airlines, who has access, and, a dollar figure. A few non oneworld airlines use that lounge and the first part of the list seems dedicated to them.

The second section has a few oneworld airlines' names in column 1, Emerald / Sapphire in column 2, and the corresponding cost in column 3.

For the curious, the numbers were USD 60 for Emeralds and USD 45 for Sapphires (for all the airlines listed).

Interestingly, this listed only the oneworld airlines that operate out of KLIA- lending credence to the 'Operating Carrier Pays' line of thought (else all the alliance members would have been listed).

No wonder CX is in a hurry to move out of SIN T1!

Perhaps someone passing by KLIA could try and check on the first part of the list?

(It's visible from behind the counter- I happened to see it when I'd gone there from the lounge to check whether my flight was boarding yet, and there was a queue of people getting in on the customer side..)

Last edited by jagmeets; Jun 2, 2015 at 8:49 am
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:02 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Thought this might be of interest to some here.

While I haven't seen the original thread with the info, I've seen a few posters on these boards refer to oneworld using a 'Operating Carrier pays the lounge access cost' concept (as opposed to *A, where supposedly the airline that you have status with, pays).

Was at the MH Golden Lounge / Satellite at KLIA and saw a long list pasted behind the reception counters (sort of as a handy reference to the attendants). The list details various airlines, who has access, and, a dollar figure. A few non oneworld airlines use that lounge and the first part of the list seems dedicated to them.

The second section has a few oneworld airlines' names in column 1, Emerald / Sapphire in column 2, and the corresponding cost in column 3.

For the curious, the numbers were USD 60 for Emeralds and USD 45 for Sapphires (for all the airlines listed).

Interestingly, this listed only the oneworld airlines that operate out of KLIA- lending credence to the 'Operating Carrier Pays' line of thought (else all the alliance members would have been listed).

No wonder CX is in a hurry to move out of SIN T1!

Perhaps someone passing by KLIA could try and check on the first part of the list?

(It's visible from behind the counter- I happened to see it when I'd gone there from the lounge to check whether my flight was boarding yet, and there was a queue of people getting in on the customer side..)
I've heard this as well. The rate your quoting seems inline. At HKG, I heard they were charging HKD 450 for say an operating ow carrier using the CX lounge.

You can imagine the fees AA is paying CX at HKG as I doubt many of their passengers use the PP lounge.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: QFF
My understanding is the airline which pays is based on how you get access to the lounge.
If you get access by class of service, the operating carrier pays. If you get access to a higher level lounge via status then the carrier you have status with pays.

eg, QF Sapphire flying BA J using a CX J lounge, BA pays.
AA Emerald flying QF J using BA F lounge, AA pays.

Last year, I got access to the BA ORD lounge (after trying to send me to the AF lounge, then deciding it wasn't busy and I'd be leaving before most of the BA pax arrived) when flying QR J. They wrote down my QF number.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Himeno
My understanding is the airline which pays is based on how you get access to the lounge.
If you get access by class of service, the operating carrier pays. If you get access to a higher level lounge via status then the carrier you have status with pays.

eg, QF Sapphire flying BA J using a CX J lounge, BA pays.
AA Emerald flying QF J using BA F lounge, AA pays.

Last year, I got access to the BA ORD lounge (after trying to send me to the AF lounge, then deciding it wasn't busy and I'd be leaving before most of the BA pax arrived) when flying QR J. They wrote down my QF number.
My understanding is that for OW, lounge access is always paid by the carrier that you are flying with (not sure about code-share, etc.). I tried to access the BWI BA Chesapeake Club Lounge a few times when flying on AA before (always needed to argue but always granted entry afterwards), and the lounge agent complained about how they didn't set up a payment scheme to receive money from AA, so no one will pay for my entry. (I am a CX member.)
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Contractor lounges such as Chesapeake are a different story. They are operated by some entity which then lets contracts with carriers, all of whom pay for "their" passengers to be admitted. That is why those lounges can be fussier. Their entire business model revolves around selling access.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Interesting, thanks a lot for the information !

I had a doubt on this subject: what happens when a passenger accesses more than one lounge? I've done that on a few occasions without any issue (CX and QF lounges in BKK for example. or CX and QF in HKG). This seems to work also without issue with *A (never tried with skyteam)
Does the operating / status airline pay for each entrance? Is there some other kind of arrangement ?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Often1
Contractor lounges such as Chesapeake are a different story. They are operated by some entity which then lets contracts with carriers, all of whom pay for "their" passengers to be admitted. That is why those lounges can be fussier. Their entire business model revolves around selling access.
The Chesapeake lounge is a special case! It is a lounge contracted by BA but operates as a BA lounge. For OW purpose, it is NOT a third-party lounge, but a BA lounge (vis-ŕ-vis The Club at DFW, which is not a BA lounge for OW purpose). See http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/. It doesn't say "Operated by a third party. May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways" Otherwise, I would not have been entitled access.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jagmeets

Is this for access to either the business or first lounge? If not, I don't see why the charge for Emeralds is higher when the facilities are the same.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

The KUL lounge has a common reception serving the F & J Class lounges.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: The Embassy
Who is footing the bill for lounge access?

OWE (QR) flying ex HKG on RJ in J.

I've just finished dinner in CXs The Wing First Class, having had lunch and a nap in CXs The Pier First Class. Planning to go to the Qantas lounge for supper a little later, before heading to Plaza Premium - which RJ gave me a voucher for - for a nightcap before boarding. I've used my QR PC Platinum card for access so far.

Is there any cross-charging going on here? Will QR be getting a bill? RJ?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
QR usually foots the bill, unless you're in biz or first and using that ticket for access, then it's the operating airline.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: The Embassy
So QR will have paid for the CX lounges, and RJ for the Qantas and other lounge.

Not to spoil the ending for anyone, but The Pier First Class is by far the best of them, and possibly the best I've been in to date. Al-Safwa next week has a lot to live up to!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:07 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-who-pays.html
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
OWE (QR) flying ex HKG on RJ in J.

I've just finished dinner in CXs The Wing First Class, having had lunch and a nap in CXs The Pier First Class. Planning to go to the Qantas lounge for supper a little later, before heading to Plaza Premium - which RJ gave me a voucher for - for a nightcap before boarding. I've used my QR PC Platinum card for access so far.

Is there any cross-charging going on here? Will QR be getting a bill? RJ?

Thanks in advance
Are you on a passport that doesn't allow visa free entry into HK? (If not, it seems like you had ample time to venture outside the airport.)
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:16 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nux
As this discussion is about the business partnerships among several alliance partners, we'll move this over to the oneworld forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.