Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Business class into HKG on AA, connecting on Dragonair, will I have lounge access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class into HKG on AA, connecting on Dragonair, will I have lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP, HHonors Gold

My question is in the title. I am flying into Hong Kong with a 2.5 hour layover on my way to CAN via Dragonair. My flight into Hong Kong is on AA in business class, but I am just booked in Y on Dragonair to CAN. Are there any lounges that I can access while waiting?
Old May 19, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Cybrwzrd
My question is in the title. I am flying into Hong Kong with a 2.5 hour layover on my way to CAN via Dragonair. My flight into Hong Kong is on AA in business class, but I am just booked in Y on Dragonair to CAN. Are there any lounges that I can access while waiting?
Do you have any oneWorld status?

The fact that your connection is in Y isn't a problem. See oneWorld page, http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
Dragonair is not a oneWorld member, although it is an affiliate and tends to follow a lot of oneWorld practices.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

I am a lowly oneWorld ruby. Won't be AA Platinum until after the return trip. But it sounds like I should be good. I read that as well, but I am concerned since my connecting flight isn't oneWorld.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by jridge
Dragonair is not a oneWorld member, although it is an affiliate and tends to follow a lot of oneWorld practices.
I am a lowly oneWorld ruby. Won't be AA Platinum until after the return trip. But it sounds like I should be good. I read that as well, but I am concerned since my connecting flight isn't oneWorld.
Dragonair is a oneworld member, albeit an affiliate member. All oneworld lounge access rules apply, and they are even on Dragonair's own web page about its oneworld membership
Old May 19, 2015, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
Dragonair is a oneworld member, albeit an affiliate member. All oneworld lounge access rules apply, and they are even on Dragonair's own web page about its oneworld membership
Thank you for the clarification. Any recommendations for which lounge to visit as a business class traveller?
Old May 19, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Bridge is my favorite lounge in HKG
Old May 19, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
There are many threads on here about the best HK lounge. Since everyone's criteria (ambience/food/drink/view/workspaces/showers/whatever) are different, and time of day can affect those choices too, your best bet is to search through some of those.

Happy travels!
Old May 19, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Go to ALL of them.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by hiima
Go to ALL of them.
But to avoid the hassles of explaining to all of them that you've arrived on AA on an international J class ticket, its best to go to the one nearest your gate. If you have all the time in the world, then you can also include going to the QF one too.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Not the best of things to do, but if the OP does want to lounge hop, I think that the agents at reception will stamp the KA-Y boarding pass with a lounge re-entry stamp..or something like that.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:17 pm

I flew into HKG on CX F, out in J. By lounge pass didn't say first, and on CX's page they didn't specify regarding the long-haul to short rule. So you may want to verify
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:26 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
You will have lounge access.

2.5 hours....now, if your AA flight gets in on time. Have you seen the delays and cancellations on that flight lately?

I don't suggest visiting all the lounges. Pick two at the most. Your flight to CAN MIGHT depart from the 500 gates, which is a different terminal. You will have to take a bus there. Depending on which lounge you're at, that takes another 15-20 minutes. Spending 5-10 minutes per lounge and then walking another 5-10 minutes to visit another lounge, etc. Not worth it to me.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by gemini573

2.5 hours....now, if your AA flight gets in on time. Have you seen the delays and cancellations on that flight lately?

I don't suggest visiting all the lounges. Pick two at the most. Your flight to CAN MIGHT depart from the 500 gates, which is a different terminal. You will have to take a bus there. Depending on which lounge you're at, that takes another 15-20 minutes. Spending 5-10 minutes per lounge and then walking another 5-10 minutes to visit another lounge, etc. Not worth it to me.
for some reason I thought KA uses A330's to CAN...

so only main terminal gates

and to others here

KA is OW member, through CX
its all over KA and they remind you every flight!

and KA is basically CX with a different livery...
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:11 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Kachjc
for some reason I thought KA uses A330's to CAN...

so only main terminal gates

and to others here

KA is OW member, through CX
its all over KA and they remind you every flight!

and KA is basically CX with a different livery...
The evening flight uses the 320. The chances of the op having to use the 500 gates are high.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
Originally Posted by gemini573

+1

Indeed the supposed 2.5 hour connection could turn out to be far shorter, and some lounges are quite far from each other or your gate area. Just pick a lounge close to your departure gate as the default and see.

Had a "3h connection" in HKG in April and had wanted to use the cabana in the Wing. Ended up spending only 10min in the Cabin -- that's all the time I got as it turned out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.