Wiki Posts
Search

MH or not? Advice appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Hello experts,

I am booked on a full F award in August. It includes DPS-KUL-CDG on MH. It appears that the KUL-CDG segment will now be on a 772 in J, rather than a 380 in F.

I certainly do not want to make that trip in J. And I am not stuck on having to go to CDG. In fact one option is to check out F availability on the MH KUL-LHR flight. But I really not too interested in visiting London right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to alternate OW routings in F, DPS-Europe?

Thanks very much!
Old May 12, 2015, 3:50 pm

CX has a very nice F (much better than MH on the 380) and is flying to several airports in Europe.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I am doing CX F LAX-HKG, so I was looking at other options. Certainly CX is not out of the question though.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist

MH from DPS-KUL and Japan Airlines from KUL-NRT-CDG? Never personally flown Japan Airlines, but all the recent F reports I've seen with them have been very positive.

ADD: Didn't see that you're not locked into CDG anymore. My apologies. JAL flies to other European destinations from NRT. Not as many as CX, but not just CDG.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:52 pm
R2

JAL F is indeed very nice, at least on the 777-300. KUL-NRT does not have F and both MH and JL use old planes on this route. If you can get to CGK, JL has the 777 to NRT at least on some days. However, this route seems subject to equipment changes so a bit risky.

If you don't mind adding segments, the other idea is to fly DPS-KUL-BKK-DOH-CDG. QR has the new A380 with a very nice F product on BKK-DOH-CDG. Award availability in F may be an issue I have read.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Might not be possible, how about EK's (KUL - DXB - CDG)?
Old May 13, 2015, 2:40 am

If it's an AA award they allow changes but not sure they would allow going to Europe via Japan, as require direct routings. JL is great if you can get that.

You could maybe do the MH 380 to London and add on a BA flight back to somewhere else. And can't use EK as mentioned above but could maybe get on QR via Doha.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input. Right now, the MH 380 is still showing, but other sources say that it is just a matter of time before my particular flight shows the change. I'd like to be proactive in that I am willing to pay the change fee for a more guaranteed routing rather than waiting to see what happens. I'll post the outcome.
Old May 17, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by UAL250
MH from DPS-KUL and Japan Airlines from KUL-NRT-CDG? Never personally flown Japan Airlines, but all the recent F reports I've seen with them have been very positive.
JAL's new fully flat business class is the best business class seat I've ever tried and that includes being better than the CX seat (although I personally think Qantas/CX have a better soft product than JL). So JAL F has got to be good.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
The only issue I have with MH is that nearly always I end up having to chase points on my BA exec account.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by lamphs
Thanks everyone for the input. Right now, the MH 380 is still showing, but other sources say that it is just a matter of time before my particular flight shows the change. I'd like to be proactive in that I am willing to pay the change fee for a more guaranteed routing rather than waiting to see what happens. I'll post the outcome.
I would just sit it out and wait until the change happens and then afterwards, AA might just have to reroute you on whatever is available. The alternative is of course KUL-LHR and then LHR-CDG on BA.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:54 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by R2
JAL F is indeed very nice, at least on the 777-300. KUL-NRT does not have F and both MH and JL use old planes on this route. If you can get to CGK, JL has the 777 to NRT at least on some days. However, this route seems subject to equipment changes so a bit risky.
JL NRT-KUL route has the new SKY SUITE II on 767-300ER. NRT-CGK will be switched to 787-9 and 787-8 with SKY SUITE seat by August. Don't know why you said it's subject to equipment changes.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Back with a report...

In my case, as I think I had mentioned, my USDM F redemption included a KUL-CDG segment in August. (Many thanks to everyone for following this and letting me know that a change actually occurred.) After some back and forth between AA and US as to who was responsible for assisting me, I was placed with the correct person.

She saw in the record that something had changed with the MH KUL-CDG segment from a MH notification. Once I explained to her the problem (and I had already checked award availability), she quickly changed me to the KUL-LHR and a LHR-ORY flight for the next day. No change fees or taxes.

I'll point out that neither US nor AA had sent me an e-mail regarding a potential change as has occurred with some previous itineraries. If it were not for FT, I'd likely not have know for another few days as I generally reconfirm everything about 30 days out.

While I need to stay in KUL one night, that is not to inconvenient as I'd prefer the daytime long haul segment vs. overnight. I'll be able to enjoy the meals and services.

Last edited by lamphs; Jul 3, 2015 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
"While I need to stay in KUL one night, that is not to inconvenient as I'd prefer the daytime long haul segment vs. overnight. I'll be able to enjoy the meals and services."

Good luck with that..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.