Wiki Posts
Search

OW Codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MPC GO
OW Codeshare flights

Just wondering how I would go about booking a codeshare flight.

Looking at going from YVR to YYZ, and there's no direct flight with OW partners.

Is my only option going through the USA (YVR-JFK-YYZ for example)?
Or is there a way to book a codeshare flight that CX offers with WestJet (CX7040 or CX7042) that is YVR-YYZ.

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:12 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Likely not, some codeshare flights can be purchased on their own but these probably require booking in conjunction with a CX operated flight.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:13 am

If it is important to you to earn miles on a OW airline, simply hop down to SEA and fly AA SEA-ORD-YYZ.

http://www.quickcoach.com/

One cannot ticket YVR-usa-YVR on a US carrier as US carriers have not been granted Ninth Freedom rights by Canada.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Or more correctly neither USA-CANADA-USA nor CANADA-USA-CANADA flight combinations can be ticketed as a single ticket due to the respective cabotage laws.

As suggested take surface transport to SEA and buy your ticket from there.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: AA PPro
Or buy two separate tickets: though that's rarely cost effective (it is how I got from YYZ to YVR once though)
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Or more correctly neither USA-CANADA-USA nor CANADA-USA-CANADA flight combinations can be ticketed as a single ticket due to the respective cabotage laws.

As suggested take surface transport to SEA and buy your ticket from there.

Happy wandering

Fred
Actually, US-Canada-US can take place provided that both segments are operated by a US airline. Indeed, US Air used to regularly publish and sell BOS-YYZ-CLE schedules on its own equipment.

However, since no Canadian airline is a OW member it is not possible for OP to fly a Canadian carrier via the US and receive OW miles. OP could, however, purchase YVR-SEA-YYZ on AC (not UA operated flights) and receive AC miles; but, AC is not in OW.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Hemel
Just wondering how I would go about booking a codeshare flight.

Looking at going from YVR to YYZ, and there's no direct flight with OW partners.

Is my only option going through the USA (YVR-JFK-YYZ for example)?
Or is there a way to book a codeshare flight that CX offers with WestJet (CX7040 or CX7042) that is YVR-YYZ.

Thanks!
I don't know on whose scheme your earning miles, but flying a oneworld codeshare operated by a non-oneworld airline, except for some rare or QF circumstances, is not likely to earn any miles - and it may be difficult, if not impossible, in this instance, to buy a codeshare without beginning or ending your itinerary with the marketing airline, AFAIK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.