Reload this Page >

Ticketing xONEx fares starting in Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticketing xONEx fares starting in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by wingzing
Will next try to e-mail CX Japan, although routing through HKG will require me to use up a precious segment.
???
In my experience, CX Japan ticketing office issued XONEX, which 1st segment wasn't CX/KA.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I don't know who you were talking to, but all my NRT-based flights have been ticketed by the TYO sales office with a U.S. credit card. I did the last one 2 weeks ago.

I will typically call TYO after their business hours. If I do, the phone system, when you listen to it, will actually allow you to connect to an agent. After hours in TYO is daytime in the U.S. The call routes to the Japanese desk in DFW and I have never had a problem ticketing with my US-address credit card.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: BA DL
ex-Japan RTW

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
???
In my experience, CX Japan ticketing office issued XONEX, which 1st segment wasn't CX/KA.
I finally booked an ex-Japan DONE4. I booked through the CX Japan office and they did not require the first segment to be on CX. I made all arrangements via e-mail and the CX staff were very knowledgeable and professional.

As noted above, AA would not let me book at the ex-Japan price. The Japan AA office would not accept my US credit card unless the fare was repriced at the ex-US rate. It will be interesting to see if others have a similar experience in the future.

Many thanks to all those on the board who offered advice.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
As noted above, AA would not let me book at the ex-Japan price. The Japan AA office would not accept my US credit card unless the fare was repriced at the ex-US rate. It will be interesting to see if others have a similar experience in the future.
Once upon a time, I contacted a Japanese travel agent in Cape Town for DONEWC3. Initially, the quote was a reasonable price (it had many BA segments and LHR stopover). However, before ticket issuing, they said quote didn't include tax/fuel surcharge, and unreasonable price for ex-CPT fare.
Their ticketing transaction was done by their headquarter in Singapore.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:50 am

I'm currently looking at a couple of DONE3/4 routes - does anyone have an easy way to pull out the current local prices out of HK and Tokyo (or have a way I can do this?) - trying to work out if routing via NRT or another Asia point is worthwhile? I'm based out of HK and would ideally pay with a HK issued card.

Ideally first leg would be HKG or NRT to CGK - if purchasing out of Tokyo don't really have the leg spare to route via CX but not completely impossible if purchasing ticket via CX with a CX first leg makes things easier.

Many thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by flibble
I'm currently looking at a couple of DONE3/4 routes - does anyone have an easy way to pull out the current local prices out of HK and Tokyo (or have a way I can do this?) - trying to work out if routing via NRT or another Asia point is worthwhile? I'm based out of HK and would ideally pay with a HK issued card.

Ideally first leg would be HKG or NRT to CGK - if purchasing out of Tokyo don't really have the leg spare to route via CX but not completely impossible if purchasing ticket via CX with a CX first leg makes things easier.

Many thanks.
expertflyer.com will display prices. You can also price it up using the online booking engine (if it works).
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
From ExpertFlyer, these are the base fares
Ex-HKG - in HKD
DONE3 79,360
DONE4 88,740
Ex-TYO - in JPY
DONE3 656,300
DONE4 780,400
From xe.com, today's exchange rate is
1 HKD = 15.8 JPY
So significantly cheaper from Japan
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth
From ExpertFlyer, these are the base fares
Ex-HKG - in HKD
DONE3 79,360
DONE4 88,740
Ex-TYO - in JPY
DONE3 656,300
DONE4 780,400
From xe.com, today's exchange rate is
1 HKD = 15.8 JPY
So significantly cheaper from Japan
Thanks - that's well worth a bit of effort trying to book and route via Tokyo...
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
to get the Japan pricing, one has to start in Japan, right?

why dont people ticket via JAL? is the rule for changing easier on other airlines?

Is it possible to transit via the origin country? something lile
HND SIN HND KUL HND HNL ....
(trying to get status on JAL..)
Thank you.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by pbd456
to get the Japan pricing, one has to start in Japan, right?
Yes.

Originally Posted by pbd456
Is it possible to transit via the origin country? something lile
HND SIN HND KUL HND HNL ....
(trying to get status on JAL..)
Thank you.
No transit through origin country with limited exceptions (Japan isn't one of them).
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes.

No transit through origin country with limited exceptions (Japan isn't one of them).
Thank you. you are my idol in FT, BTW.

I saw that on T&C after I post. I was looking to add ISG HND HNL ... for the RTW.
what is the domestic segment book into? I didnt see any D on ISG HND when I search on expertflyer, and in fact, I didnt see any direct flight shown at all.

(I am trying to get my parents 50000 flyon points with 25000 flyon points on JAL with this trip and it seems impossible because starting ex Japan limits the number of segment on JAL.)
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Hi everyone,

I have been searching the OW forum for current info on the best carrier to ticket an ex-Japan RTW ticket and have found a small bit of helpful info, but nothing definitive that answers my underlying question of who is going to be the easiest to deal with in making changes? Specifically changes adding ANC and EGE to the itinerary once the schedules come out in Decembers. I've done 5 ACIR26 ex-HKG and a AONE3 and AONE4 ex-ICN and ex-AMM all throgh the AA RTW desk and purchased in Canada. It's been about 4 years since I've planned one of these and I noticed when pricing that AA now adds YQ/YR on its long haul flights which ends up with higher surcharges than flying CX.

I plan to book these using the online tool, but despite numerous people asking the question,"has anyone had success in booking using the online tool?", there have been virtually no affirmative responses to that question. So my other specific question, has anyone had success booking xONE3 ex-Japan on AA or CX using the oneworld booking tool? I have seen Himeno's posts about using email, so I'm aware of that. I also saw pianoperson's post which implied that he has used the tool successfully in the past, but not with regard to ex-Japan:

Originally Posted by pianoperson
Hi - I am planning to book ex Japan but am based in NZ and the online booking when it works which it has for many of my trips saves the hassle of getting ticketed in the country of origin
Have not orginated Japan but maybe AA have an agent there who will take over the booking if I set it up with AA RTW Desk ?
Usually orginate JNB and use MindPearl who have always been excellent but the changes to the rules ex Africa make it less attractive even with the decent base fares
I am planning either DONE3 on AA or an AONE3 on CX starting at the end of April 2016. Itinerary NRT or HND-HKG-DFW/DFW-ANC/ANC-DFW-EGE/EGE-DFW-IAD/IAD-LHR/LHR-LIS//MAD-LHR-HKG-HKT/HKT-HKG-NRT or HND. At the end I'm transiting HKG to possibly buy a ACIR26 on my way to HKT, and then when I return to HKG drop the last leg of my xONE3, stay 2 days in HKG and start the CIRPAC (just an option at this point). I would be ticketing NRT or HND-HKG-DFW/DFW-IAD/IAD-LHR/LHR-LIS//MAD-LHR-HKG-HKT/HKT-HKG-NRT or HND and then after I complete my first leg at the end of April 2016 add ANC and EGE segments.

Ticketing now with CX via the online tool where surcharges are less. I'd fly HND-HKG-US and I get to fly F on 3 long haul and 2 regional segments which is nice and what I've been used to in the past. But how is there service with regard to changing ($125) my ticket once summer schedules load? I also saw Himeno's posts where it appeared he had some issues getting xONEx changes reticketed through CX. Just looking for others' experiences, POC, CX RTW desk (not), etc?

Ticketing now with AA in business with AA upgrade on NRT-DFW flight, then D on IAD-LHR short TATL and D on much longer LHR-HKG. But I save about $2100 USD over purchasing the CX AONE3. Adding seasonal flights after completing my first leg would be a breeze with AA RTW desk. So there are the money, comfort level and convenience aspects I need to consider too. Again my problem, but any insight is welcome.

So summary of questions:
  1. Has anyone had success booking xONE3 ex-Japan on AA or CX using the oneworld booking tool?
  2. How is CX ticketing and their wherewith-all with handling schedule changes?
  3. Insight as to comfort level, cost, and convenience? Yeah, this one is really subjective, but I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks - Bob

Last edited by aaupgrade; Jul 18, 2015 at 5:04 am
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: BA DL
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Hi everyone,

So summary of questions:
  1. Has anyone had success booking xONE3 ex-Japan on AA or CX using the oneworld booking tool?
  2. How is CX ticketing and their wherewith-all with handling schedule changes?
  3. Insight as to comfort level, cost, and convenience? Yeah, this one is really subjective, but I'd appreciate your input.

1. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you have a choice of the ticketing carrier on an ex-Japan RTW. It defaults to JAL and AA acts as the ticketing agent for JAL. [edit: misread the question - this is only true if first flight is JAL.] I was able to complete the itinerary and price it on-line, but couldn't get the on-line tool to accept payment. I then tried to pay by phone via the AA RTW desk, but AA wouldn't give me the ex-Japan price with a US addressed credit card. I then set it up with CX Japan via e-mail.

2. I would also like to know how difficult it is to make changes to a CX issued RTW. As a practical matter will other carriers touch a CX issued ticket? I would love to have the AA desk make changes - I have had success with them in the past.

3. dunno

Also, my experience suggests that different carriers have different interpretations of the routing rules. I had an itinerary (simplified) NRT-DEL-LHR-JFK-HKG(transit)-AKL-..... This itinerary was no problem with the on-line tool and with the AA RTW desk. However, CX would not let me pass through HKG on my way from NYC to AKL. They forced me to use an extra segment and go NYC-LAX-SYD-AKL. I believe CX correctly interpreted the rules.

Last edited by wingzing; Jul 18, 2015 at 11:20 am Reason: misread OP
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:33 pm

1. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you have a choice of the ticketing carrier on an ex-Japan RTW. It defaults to JAL and AA acts as the ticketing agent for JAL. [edit: misread the question - this is only true if first flight is JAL.] I was able to complete the itinerary and price it on-line, but couldn't get the on-line tool to accept payment. I then tried to pay by phone via the AA RTW desk, but AA wouldn't give me the ex-Japan price with a US addressed credit card. I then set it up with CX Japan via e-mail.

2. I would also like to know how difficult it is to make changes to a CX issued RTW. As a practical matter will other carriers touch a CX issued ticket? I would love to have the AA desk make changes - I have had success with them in the past.

3. dunno

Also, my experience suggests that different carriers have different interpretations of the routing rules. I had an itinerary (simplified) NRT-DEL-LHR-JFK-HKG(transit)-AKL-..... This itinerary was no problem with the on-line tool and with the AA RTW desk. However, CX would not let me pass through HKG on my way from NYC to AKL. They forced me to use an extra segment and go NYC-LAX-SYD-AKL. I believe CX correctly interpreted the rules.

if I physcially show up in Japan, would they sell it to me in Japan pricing even I dont have a Japanese based credit card?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

3. dunno

1. The online tool tickets based on first airline only. There is no such restriction for sales via airlines or travel agents.

2. Before commencement of travel only the issuing agent can touch the ticket. After commencement of travel other airlines can modify the ticket.

3. Interpretation of the Asia exception to only one entry to each continent is unclear due to lack of commas. BTW QF has JFK-SYD as a single sector so NYC-AKL can be done in two sectors via Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.