Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to credit AY flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if I have this in the wrong forum, please move it to the correct one.

I have a couple of flights coming up on AY as follows:

YYZ-HEL-CKG booked on N class
CKG-HEL-YYZ booked on Z class

Would it be better if I credited those to AA where I will gain 100% EQM or should I credit it to JJ where I could gain OWR status?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

For me it always depends on what I'm collecting at the time.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TheGreatTree Welcome to the forum

Freq flyer miles are for the long term. Not 1 return flight
Without more information about your travel/location if you are a member with AA credit them to AA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
TheGreatTree Welcome to the forum

Freq flyer miles are for the long term. Not 1 return flight
Without more information about your travel/location if you are a member with AA credit them to AA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
I usually fly CX so I credit there. These AY flights don't earn any mileage with Asia Miles so I am seeing where else I can credit to get the most out of it.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by TheGreatTree
I usually fly CX so I credit there. These AY flights don't earn any mileage with Asia Miles so I am seeing where else I can credit to get the most out of it.
You might as well plonk them to AAdvantage. Or if you care to start with AY's FFP, at least on CX flights, you can get 50% on some booking classes when you earn 0 or 25% only with Asiamiles. So that might be an option for you.

BTW, when does AY fly from YYZ? Its not year round is it?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
No, it's seasonal. YYZ gets served three times a week (Tues, Fri, Sun) only during summer holiday season. I think service starts June 14 and stops again Sept. 20 this year.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
No, it's seasonal. YYZ gets served three times a week (Tues, Fri, Sun) only during summer holiday season. I think service starts June 14 and stops again Sept. 20 this year.
That is correct ^
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
You might as well plonk them to AAdvantage. Or if you care to start with AY's FFP, at least on CX flights, you can get 50% on some booking classes when you earn 0 or 25% only with Asiamiles. So that might be an option for you.

AY+ will not satisfy me as Asiamiles will give me the full 100% on most CX flights
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Go with AAdvantage

This route will earn you just over 16,500 RDM. That's enough for a one-way award from Hong-Kong to any other "Asia 2" destination.

But, I'd advise you to accrue 3,500 more miles, not necessarily by flying, to get a 20K balance. Because that's enough for a RT ticket within Europe, which could be a great advantage for a CX flyer.

All of CX destinations in Western Europe are more than 5000 miles from Hong-Kong (zone D) so an award flight would cost 40,000 Asia Miles for one-way in Y. But, CX also fly to Moscow, which is only 4400 miles from Hong-Kong (zone C) and an award flight would only cost 25,000 Asia Miles (big difference). So, by using 20K AA miles and connecting in Moscow (admittedly, not the ideal point for a connection) you can save at least 30K Asia Miles on a trip to Europe.

Last edited by FlyingOutTLV; Mar 2, 2015 at 6:11 am
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV
This route will earn you just over 16,500 RDM. That's enough for a one-way award from Hong-Kong to any other "Asia 2" destination.

But, I'd advise you to accrue 3,500 more miles, not necessarily by flying, to get a 20K balance. Because that's enough for a RT ticket within Europe, which could be a great advantage for a CX flyer.

All of CX destinations in Western Europe are more than 5000 miles from Hong-Kong (zone D) so an award flight would cost 40,000 Asia Miles for one-way in Y. But, CX also fly to Moscow, which is only 4400 miles from Hong-Kong (zone C) and an award flight would only cost 25,000 Asia Miles (big difference). So, by using 20K AA miles and connecting in Moscow (admittedly, not the ideal point for a connection) you can save at least 30K Asia Miles on a trip to Europe.
I am based in YYZ not Europe. So the 15K balance for flights within Asia 2 would actually be more useful to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.