Search

JL or CX First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
JL or CX First?

Hi!

I'm stuck between choosing a flight back from Asia to Europe for October. Now that BA have changed the BAEC, I think it's time to cash in a wodge of my Avios.

I have narrowed it down to First class, either JL NRT-FRA or CX HKG-LHR.

Now, NRT is more convenient (i'll be in Osaka at the end of my trip I think), but I live in London, so a feeder flight/train either way. The tax on the CX flight is £100 less. Both are reasonably timed day flights on the 777-300ER.

I've flown both F seats before, but both on short hops. I've used both F lounges in NRT and HKG before (possibly prefer CX in HKG over JL in NRT). I love Asian food, but prefer Cantonese over Japanese (just).

A more expensive, and less convenient option is MH F A380 from KUL.

So, can anyone weigh in and make some suggestions about which to take?

Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:35 am

My only recent experience is MH (on the 380) and CX in F. CX is far ahead of MH in basically all aspects (Seat, servce, food). Also flying down to KUL adds some flying time.
Avoid MH.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
JL or CX First?

JAL is renovating a lot of their planes. Make sure you at least have the new product if you choose them.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:35 pm

CX seat service/lounges etc- way better than JL, in OW maybe QR comes close but QR does not offer F frequency like CX.

Food- JL anyday- probably the best.
CX food is an embarassment to Hong Kong- a city known for good food...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
I had two friends recently took both to/from Chicago and they both recommended JL. They felt JL flight attendants were more attentive, and CX attendants were noisy in the galley.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
A recent similar thread might be on interest to OP.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...er-fly-jl.html
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:05 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by drewp123
JAL is renovating a lot of their planes. Make sure you at least have the new product if you choose them.
JAL has completed retrofitting all the F cabins
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:07 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
FYI FRA could lose F service like it did in the current winter schedule if JAL switches this route to 787 again next winter.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
  • CX F is 1-1-1 with wider, more spacious seats.
  • JL F is 1-2-1 with narrower seats.

If you are traveling with someone, JL center seats are nice.

• In my opinion, CX has some of the nicest, most comfy bed linens in F, and very comfy and stylish PJs (organic cotton).
  • JL has a memory foam pad that is quite nice (and you can choose the firmer or softer side) but their PJs look like track/jogging suits and are very warm.
  • JL has Queen of Tea iced tea available in F.
  • JL has free Wi-Fi in F.
  • JL has Toto Washlets in F (and J). Personally, I poop in my hotel room bathroom before showering and heading to the airport, but for those who do such things on the plane, this is an awesome advantage.

To sum it up, I'd say you won't go wrong either way. I might opt for whichever one is a longer flight (more time to enjoy it). If the flight times are close and I'm solo, I'd go with CX, if with someone I'd go JL.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for all the input guys! I went with CX in the end.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ycc777
I had two friends recently took both to/from Chicago and they both recommended JL. They felt JL flight attendants were more attentive, and CX attendants were noisy in the galley.
CX cabin crew is much better at English.

Originally Posted by anabolism
JL has a memory foam pad that is quite nice (and you can choose the firmer or softer side) ....
True, but the pillow is also made from memory foam and, IMO, doesn't work. A pillow needs loft. The memory foam pillows are flat, rectangular pieces of the foam.

Originally Posted by shefgab
Right choice, IMO.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shefgab
Agree that you made the right choice.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ycc777
They felt JL flight attendants were more attentive, and CX attendants were noisy in the galley.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
CX cabin crew is much better at English.
Having flown both quite a lot, I would not be confident in either generalization. In my experience, cabin crews vary a lot in their attentiveness and English skills both on CX and JL. I've had CX F flights where I had to resort to getting up and going into the galley (or using the call button, which I dislike for casual requests) and other flights where the crew checked periodically if I wanted anything and kept my tea and water refilled without my needing to ask. Likewise I've had flights where I was embarrassed at not being able to comprehend most of what the crew said and other flights where there wasn't any issue at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.