Search

oneworld adds more benefits for its most frequent flyers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:32 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
In the case of CX, it looks like CX is interpreting these increases in allowances across all classes of travel:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23940669-post16.html

"Dear xxx,

That’s absolutely correct. You are entitled to an additional 15kgs of checked in luggage, so your overall amount will be 45kgs. We have had a few queries regarding the oneworld press release and the fact that it uses economy class as an example. Please accept our apologies in this regard.

Best wishes,

Cathay Pacific Airways"
It would be interesting to see how the other oneworld airlines interpret this.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Yes, like a finally!

I am still sore for the 10kg I paid to MH at NRT.

^^^

Oh, if OWS on Y gets 15kg more, I am pretty sure J & F pax gets it too.

It just doesn't make sense to not extend it to J & F pax.

Now time for a mainland china member.....
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:43 am
mgm

Has any OWS (other than QF Gold FF) tried out the new baggage benefit with QF on a domestic Y ticket? I'm curious if anyone has received an extra allowance.

I've just booked a domestic trip with QF as an AA Platinum. The Manage My Booking screen shows the baggage allowance as being one piece with an option to purchase extra, so nothing extra there as all QF domestic fares include baggage.

The wording from the OW site doesn't really offer clarity:

"On domestic itineraries only with flights using the baggage allowance "piece" system, you are guaranteed at least one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs, even when the regular ticketed allowance has no free allowance."
I guess QF could argue their fares automatically come with baggage so there is no need to offer extra, but it would be nice if they offered the extra allowance as they do to their own OWS FF's (QF Gold), so you get at least one piece and up to two pieces.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas don't charge for checked baggage within the limits.

As a oneworld sapphire you are entitled to an additional bag.

The MMB does not take the additional Sapphire allowance into account - you need to hope the check-in person is aware of this additional allowance, and, if they are not, make them ware (pleasantly).

Last edited by serfty; Dec 19, 2014 at 7:59 pm Reason: Different between Domestic and Intenrational
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by serfty
Qantas don't charge for checked baggage within the limits.

As a oneworld sapphire you are entitled to an additional bag.

The MMB does not take the additional Sapphire allowance into account - you need to hope the check-in person is aware of this additional allowance, and, if they are not, make them ware (pleasantly).
There is no additional allowance entitlement for OW Sapphire members ; Qantas offers additional allowance to QF members but there is nothing mentioned for OW status holders

Since QF already offers 1 piece allowance , the new benefit makes no difference to the allowance
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no additional allowance entitlement for OW Sapphire members ; Qantas offers additional allowance to QF members but there is nothing mentioned for OW status holders
Yes, you are correct - since this is domestic - I was not aware of this difference between that and international. I can recall no mention in the initial press release - it is possible believe this has changed or been clarified

Even as indicated this post from 18 days ago:
I am not sure how you came up with that calculation

For Economy

The normal domestic allowance is 1 piece 23Kg
The additional allowance as OW Sapphire would be 1 extra piece of 23Kg

Total 2 pieces of 23Kg

Business would indeed stay at 2 pieces of 32Kg

BA's ticketed allowance for economy is 1 piece
that was in relation to this post:
Originally Posted by futaris
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/extra-baggage-allowance

Ok, so if travelling Domestically on QANTAS, a Oneworld Sapphire (excluding QANTAS Gold) should receive:

Economy

2 piece (one maximum 32kg piece) and (one maximum 23kg piece)

Last edited by serfty; Dec 19, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:50 pm

I know that the post you refer, I was replying in relation to the quoted part that relates to international itineraries rather than purely domestic itineraries

Furtaris had quoted the OW section which states

Originally Posted by Futaris quoting OW
On international itineraries (including domestic sectors flown as part of international itineraries) using the baggage allowance "piece" system, you will receive a second bag, weighing up to 23 kgs, when the ticketed allowance is one bag.
I don't think it has changed given that this was the wording back then
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: AA PPro
data point: this week my partner flew nrt-syd on JL on a loneX fare (normally allowed 2 bags) and was allowed three bags due to AA Plat (OW Sapphire) status.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
The oneworld site does state "Customers travelling in First and Business Class cabins will in most cases receive an even greater free checked baggage allowance"

Did none of you read that part??!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
The oneworld site does state "Customers travelling in First and Business Class cabins will in most cases receive an even greater free checked baggage allowance"

Did none of you read that part??!
It is just a a valid statement that 1st and business class generally will still have a higher allowance than someone in economy even with the extra

e.g. BA allows a OW Sapphire 2x23Kg in economy whilst in business class all get 3x32Kg

There is nothing in that statement indicating additional allowance for OW Sapphire in Business/1st class. compare it against the wording for OW Emerald
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it has changed given that this was the wording back then
This would be the case I thing since the link in post #1 has a link to a .pdf with a creating date of Dec 1st containing the same information as we see now.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC

Since QF already offers 1 piece allowance , the new benefit makes no difference to the allowance
When I moved to BAEC, I asked QF about this back in July, and got a written response saying that other non-QF OWE and OWS would be subject to the same benefits as QF's own OWE (QF Gold) and OWE (QF Platinum) members.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by beardoc
When I moved to BAEC, I asked QF about this back in July, and got a written response saying that other non-QF OWE and OWS would be subject to the same benefits as QF's own OWE (QF Gold) and OWE (QF Platinum) members.
If it is not showing in the reservation with additional allowance , I would be surprised if they granted it

istr seeing other reports where people have not received any additional allowance with non QF status
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
If it is not showing in the reservation with additional allowance , I would be surprised if they granted it

istr seeing other reports where people have not received any additional allowance with non QF status
Understood. FWIW my bookings with QF directly that still show my QF WP status don't show that I have a greater allowance either, but I certainly get it.

I'm not saying I'm right, Dave, and absolutely, you've got the right to be skeptical. But in my experience what's listed in MMB on QFs site is not what you get.

Next weekend I'll check two bags under my BAEC number on a QF Domestic booking and let you know.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:48 am

Since you have OW Emerald status, it will not indicate anything since the OW Emerald allowance is not restricted by flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.