Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Short flight, don't need the miles, credit to someone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS

Quick question for you OW gurus.

I've equalified for AA Platinum and have a couple short hops coming up on AA, (BOS-PHL, JFK-BOS) being that I'll never get from 55K to 100k, is there any reason to credit these to BA or JAL? I have numbers there for availability search purposes, but does having miles in those accounts actually help?

I believe I would lose precheck access, unfortunate, but not the end of the world for two fights.

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Putting another ffp in the reservation means you will not get AA Platinum benefits. Anyway hard to go past AA as good ffp. Low miles in orphan ffp are to be avoided. Miles may/will expire before you use them if you are not careful. But BA short haul awards can be good value.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS
I'm not planning to use another FFP for an ongoing mileage deposit. And I understand no plat benefits.

But avois are a good currency, especially for short distance awards. Which is why I ask.

That said, do any airlines require a mileage balance to search for awards? Especially given AA's pathetic website? Or does Expert Flyer eliminate the need to game the system?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
To search for award availability, try AwardNexus as well.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
No, there's no difference in having miles in an account or not when searching for awards on BA.com.
And although having some Avios handy is always a good idea, the 460-something miles those two flights will add up to won't put you anywhere near the 4,500 needed for the cheapest domestic award redemption.
If you don't plan on crediting to BA regularly, those will likely be orphaned and of no real use. The good thing is that they won't expre anytime soon - BAEC lets Avios expire only after three years with no account activity.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
If I remember correctly, short haul intra-european flights require some activity in the avios to get the flat fee fuel surcharges, but that can be accomplished by a transfer from AMEX or Chase as well.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by venkol
If I remember correctly, short haul intra-european flights require some activity in the avios to get the flat fee fuel surcharges, but that can be accomplished by a transfer from AMEX or Chase as well.
or by buying something at the BA online mall.

IRRC, you must have earned at least one Avios in the past 12 months in order to get the very useful flat fee fuel surcharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.