Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

From Bronze to Gold - which is best?

Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold; QF Platinum!!; Hhonors Diamond

With Aegean Airlines now changing their program, between QF, BA, and MAS, which program gets you from start to Gold the quickest in terms of status credits/miles required flying on OneWorld?

I am about to be downgraded to Silver QF, but regularly fly MAS and BA so not sure what is the best way to get back to Gold on any of these 3 programs.

Many thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
You mean Gold by Oneworld Emerald equivalent, I presume?

Assuming you fly premium classes on a mix of mid/longhaul, BA Gold is pretty much the fastest. QF is hopeless after the revision unless you fly QF/EK premium classes- and while MH has a decent Enrich Gold earn (Oneworld Sapphire), it pales in comparison to how fast you can get status with BAEC.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Simontony
With Aegean Airlines now changing their program
What has this got to do with oneworld status?

between QF, BA, and MAS, which program gets you from start to Gold the quickest in terms of status credits/miles required flying on OneWorld?

I am about to be downgraded to Silver QF, but regularly fly MAS and BA so not sure what is the best way to get back to Gold on any of these 3 programs.
QF Gold and MH Gold is oneworld Sapphire.
BA Gold is oneworld Emerald, BA Silver is oneworld Sapphire.

Each program has different qualification requirements, so you can't generically compare them. BA and to a lesser extent QF are easier to earn status flying in premium classes, whereas MH is based on miles.
It really depends on which airlines, routes and fare classes you typically travel in.

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Originally Posted by Enhancements
You mean Gold by Oneworld Emerald equivalent, I presume?
The OP referred to QF Silver and getting back to Gold, so I presume they mean oneworld Sapphire.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers and yes, I don't know why i thought Aegean was OneWorld - silly mistake

I have 3 return long haul MH Business class flights in the next couple of months and will be doing 4 x BA legs in the next 12 months.

Question is how many BA legs are required to become Silver and then Gold on BA, and how many status credits are required from their entry level. If i was to fly those 6 x Business class legs on MH and not fly on BA until after those would I still move up the ladder?

Cheers for your help!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:36 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I have 3 return long haul MH Business class flights in the next couple of months and will be doing 4 x BA legs in the next 12 months.

Question is how many BA legs are required to become Silver and then Gold on BA, and how many status credits are required from their entry level. If i was to fly those 6 x Business class legs on MH and not fly on BA until after those would I still move up the ladder?
BA Silver requires 600 Tier Points and 4 eligible flights (BA operated, BA marketed, or IB operated and marketed). BA Gold requires 1500 Tier Points in your membership year and 4 eligible flights.

Assuming your MH longhaul flights book in to an eligible fare class, you would earn 40 TP's per segment for flights under 2,000 miles and 140 TP's per segment for flights over 2,000 miles (over 6,000 miles earns 160 TP's).
So if you earnt 6 x 140 TP's on MH you would have 840 TP's but remain BA Blue until you had 4 eligible BA flights when you would then move to BA Silver (oneworld Sapphire).

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2014-a.html
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Excellent - this makes perfect sense now. Thanks all for your help. I have decided to stay with QF as living in Singapore, it is easy and cheap to qualify for the 4 legs on QF using Jetstar.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I fly MH regionally due to the cheap fares.

Currently earning MH status by flying sectors (since I do a lot of cheap economy flights).
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I fly MH regionally due to the cheap fares.

Currently earning MH status by flying sectors (since I do a lot of cheap economy flights).
does cheap economy give you 1 sector or its at reduce rate?

4 times long haul economy trips on QR metal to europe get you OWS, and credits to upgrade your flights to business class.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Excellent - this makes perfect sense now. Thanks all for your help. I have decided to stay with QF as living in Singapore, it is easy and cheap to qualify for the 4 legs on QF using Jetstar.
You can solve your 4-leg issue on BA by booking SIN-MEL/BNE/PER etc, with a connection out of Sydney by Qantas (booked in a BA codeshare number, it counts as an eligible flight.)

It is *some* effort, but you might like the 100% bonus miles on those BA business trips later on
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by tboons
does cheap economy give you 1 sector or its at reduce rate?

4 times long haul economy trips on QR metal to europe get you OWS, and credits to upgrade your flights to business class.
Economy class earns 1 sector, regardless of price (cheap or expensive). Business 2 and First 3. Reference table.

So if you're traveling to anywhere that is not KUL, you'll earn 4 sectors for that roundtrip in Economy and 8 sectors in Business.

30 sectors per calendar year gets your Silver (OW Ruby) and 50 sectors gets you Gold (OW Sapphire).

I will be Silver starting next year and should reach Gold by year end. Unfortunately since I fly mostly short/mid haul and on cheap tickets, I earn very little miles to redeem. Will probably use them for upgrades instead.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:05 am

Oh yeah I usually buy my MH tickets on OTAs (whichever having promos) since they're usually cheaper or the same as official website.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:20 am
Original Poster

The MAS website states "For Elite Platinum, Gold and Silver tier status, you need to earn the qualifying number of miles or sectors from 1 January – 31 December, each year." Does this mean if I join Enrich tomorrow and fly SIN-KUL-SYD return in Business; and SIN-KUL-DEL return in Business prior to Dec31st 2014, my 16 sectors will expire on Jan 1, 2015?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:32 am

The MAS website states "For Elite Platinum, Gold and Silver tier status, you need to earn the qualifying number of miles or sectors from 1 January – 31 December, each year." Does this mean if I join Enrich tomorrow and fly SIN-KUL-SYD return in Business; and SIN-KUL-DEL return in Business prior to Dec31st 2014, my 16 sectors will expire on Jan 1, 2015?
That is correct. The qualification period is by calendar year, 1 Jan - 31 Dec.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
That is correct. The qualification period is by calendar year, 1 Jan - 31 Dec.
That's really bad. So there is no point in me joining Enrich in December if I lose 16 status points at the end of the month.

I guess it's better to stay Silver QFF (I get downgraded at the end of this month) as it is done by membership year which for me ends in November - therefore my 8 x Business class flights on MH will not be wasted and can get status credits on QF?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

In fact QF is much better for me as with those 2 rtn Business class trips In December I will be halfway to QFF Gold: 13K+ miles and 360 status credits:
https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/...alPointsEarned

Enrich would only get me 16 out of the 50 required sectors for the same flights (arguably more miles though) but my aim is to reach status - OW Emerald. In any case I'd lose those 16 lgs come Jan 1st 2015.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.