Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

LAX - TBIT oneworld Lounge Access (Combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Access Ready Reckoner:

For access just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US based (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier traveling on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. An AAdvantage or Mileage Plan of Sapphire or Emerald tier traveling on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely part of a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First & Business Class passengers traveling on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely part of a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers on an itinerary which includes First & Business Class travel on a oneworld marketed and operated flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from a domestic oneworld Marketed and Operated flight or an international short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight.
  5. *Recent Reports indicate the following access is being denied with Patrons being redirected to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: First and Business Class passengers traveling on an American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight between Los Angeles & New York on three class aircraft.
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).
§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day.
LAX oneworld Business and Qantas First Lounges
LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT)
Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

oneworld Los Angeles (Business) Lounge

Opening hours: Daily: 06:30 - 23:30

Capacity: ~400

AMENITIES:
  • Computer connected to Internet
  • Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
  • Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
  • Barista and coffee selections
  • Shower suites (16)

Notes: The stylish and spacious Business Class Lounge has a contemporary design reflecting Californian culture, combined with signature elements from each airline, built around a communal fireplace and central glass atrium providing natural light. In the lounge's dining area, customers can choose from menus, designed by renowned Qantas chef Neil Perry, based on signature Qantas Lounge favourites with influences of multicultural California, including Italian, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and US West Coast street food. Californian food carts similar to the pop-up dining concept offer freshly prepared dishes. At the cocktail bar, customers can select signature cocktails or premium wines, or have the barista create the coffee of their choice. The lounge also offers an enhanced hot and cold buffet, faster WiFi, new workstations and sixteen shower suites with Aurora Spa amenities.
Qantas First Lounge

Opening hours: Daily: 06:30 - 23:30

Capacity: ~200

AMENITIES:
  • Computer connected to Internet
  • Neil Perry restaurant (74 seats, a la carte dining)
  • Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
  • Barista with coffee selections
  • Shower suites (7)
  • Business suites (2 - can be combined for conference room)
  • Shirt pressing (First)

Notes: The Qantas Los Angeles First Lounge defines a new standard of luxury and sophistication for First and eligible premium customers travelling through LAX. The spacious, light and open plan lounge is three times the size of the previous First Lounge. The lounge features a 74-seat a la carte restaurant, Californian Knoll furniture selected by Marc Newson, including 12 Eero Saarinen Womb Chairs with matching ottomans, 2 private work suites that can open into one larger private meeting room, state of the art wi-fi, wireless printing capabilities, TVs equipped with cable television and 7 dedicated shower suites, complete with Aurora Spa products. The a la carte Rockpool menu has been designed by Neil Perry, featuring signature dishes from the Qantas flagship Sydney and Melbourne lounges, as well as locally inspired LA cuisine. Menus will change seasonally, every 3 months. Access to First Class Lounges is restricted to Emerald members or those travelling in First Class.
LAX TBIT oneworld lounges access rules: (v. Feb 25, 2016)

oneworld Business Lounge operated by Qantas

Please note this is not a Qantas Club and is not part of any recipripocity agreement with Admirals Clubs. Must be Sapphire or Business class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or

• Departing on a oneworld flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or

• Departing in First or Business on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T aircraft.

• A Qantas Club member (no AA Admirals Club reciprocity, however)

• "Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result."

Qantas - oneworld First Lounge

Must be Emerald or First class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or

• Departing on a oneworld flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or

• Departing in First on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

Link to one world lounge access rules and lounge locator
Qantas First Class Lounge for OneWorld Emeralds and First Class Travelers - opened late 2014

Qantas press release

Airside connector open from terminals 4, 5, 6 and 7 to TBIT - Feb 2016

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 (AA forum)

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Updated 7 Mar 2017 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hello FT!

I've been a long-time lurker, but an experience this past week at the LAX oneworld Lounge has moved me from a long-time lurker to a first-time poster.

I'm a BAEC Gold and was flying AA LAX - ORD out of T4, and had about ~4 hours to go before my flight. While talking to one of the AAngels in the T4 AC, she mentioned that I could access the oneworld Lounge in TBIT as, per http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access:

Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below). Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
I was skeptical, as in most airports that I've seen, you can only access the terminal from where your flight is departing. But she said that as of 5/1/14, ticketed passengers with a boarding pass who have a same-day flight departing LAX can pass through TBIT security, in order to increase business at the shops and restaurants.

After passing through TBIT security without issue, I walked up to a smiling young man and young lady manning the oneworld Lounge's front desk. I gave them my boarding pass and BAEC Gold card, excited to experience the lounge after a very long day. At that hour, the lounge was completely empty, as the evening rush wouldn't begin for 4-5 hours.

The smiling young man suddenly stopped smiling and handed my boarding pass and FF card back at me and said I couldn't enter, as I didn't have a flight departing from that terminal. As the oneworld lounge access page was still in my phone's browser, I showed them the policy, but young man told me that the website was wrong.

Not wanting to fight the issue, I told them I understood that they were bound by policy, and asked if there was a supervisor or manager on-duty who might make "an exception as a one-time courtesy", but was told they were the only two people on-duty and no one higher than them would be in all day (it was a Friday mid-day, not a weekend or other off-hours time). The young lady told the young man the choice whether to make an exception was "up to" him, but he denied the request and chimed in saying that I "shouldn't even be in this terminal".

Is there some official policy somewhere that says you must be departing from TBIT in order to access the lounge?

If not, who can you appeal to in these types of policy-interpretation situations? For example, AA operates their own lounges with AA Premium Services personnel, with supervisors, managers, etc. The oneworld Lounge in TBIT is operated by Qantas, but who do lounge personnel report up to - in other words, who would be the next-level higher in situations where the interpretation of a policy is at issue? Perhaps the Qantas LAX station manager?

I really do like this lounge, so if some of you fine FT-folk can help bring clarity to this issue, I would truly be grateful.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Nov 3, 2015 at 8:00 am
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
As I read the policy they were wrong to refuse entry. Please write to both QANTAS as operators of the lounge, and oneworld, asking them to point out the precise exception that was relied upon to deny access, and let us know what you find out.

Commiserations, by the way. What an unpleasant and unnecessary experience
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Given the TBIT lounge renovations are not yet complete (with the 2nd stage of Business and First yet to open) there do appear to be some additional restrictions in place -- it is often packed in the evening peaks and have seen reports of Emeralds turned away, and certainly no additional guests allowed.

That said if you were there 4+hrs before the peak and not likely to stay that long, it does seem to be a poor decision.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by moa999
Given the TBIT lounge renovations are not yet complete (with the 2nd stage of Business and First yet to open) there do appear to be some additional restrictions in place
I could understand that - and if they would have stated it was due to capacity restrictions, that would have made more sense.

As an additional data point, a colleague (also a BAEC Gold) with an AA flight out of T4 attempted to access the lounge off-peak on a different day and was also denied for the same reasons.

My concern is that they're interpreting the access policy to be "no flight out of TBIT, no lounge, no exceptions" - regardless of lounge capacity restrictions.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:32 am

F lounge opening update?

Any update on when the first class one world lounge will open?

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:24 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by adlibitum
Any update on when the first class one world lounge will open?

Thanks
When I spoke to one of the CX staff three weeks ago, they were saying middle of December. Keeping my fingers crossed as I have a CX and BA flight.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Last word I have come across is 'around new year's day' - but that was four weeks ago:

http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2014/11/...lounge-at-lax/
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Any recent data points on this situation? I have an upcoming int'l AA flight coming up and I'm EXP... I'd hate to argue with them if they don't allow me access.

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
The new F lounge is now open, and they let me in yesterday with no problem. I'm a CX Diamond (OW Emerald) and I was flying PEY.

I didn't even know the F lounge was open yet so I tried to go into the J lounge. I handed the gatekeeper my CX-printed F lounge invitation and he turned me away and pointed me to the F lounge instead (separate entrance, down the hall to the right).

No problems getting in, tons and tons of empty chairs, good food and service. I do sort of miss having a buffet bar to go pick at, but the kitchen put out fresh food fast.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
More about it here: (same forum, different thread)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post24014391

Also, see here from the Australian Frequent Flyer Website: (and following posts)

New LAX Qantas/oneworld lounge at TBIT | Australian Frequent Flyer
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
I have a question:
I have LAX -SFO-NRT, AA F then JAL F.
I don't have any status, would i be able to access oneworld F lounge in LAX?

And about this feature:
"Signature Sofitel service offered to customers travelling in First, including dedicated check-in, fast-track immigration and dedicated boarding"
Anyone experienced this? Do they mean fast-track for security?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by tomy77
I have a question:

And about this feature:
"Signature Sofitel service offered to customers travelling in First, including dedicated check-in, fast-track immigration and dedicated boarding"
No it is for arrival immigration.

F lounge at LAX is in TBIT whereas your LAX-SFO flight is likely to depart from T4. This means clearing security twice (once in TBIT and again in T4).
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I don't think it's "fast-track 'immigration' " but LAX TBIT has different security lanes for F / J and Y pax.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:57 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I have a question:

And about this feature:
You would have to check in at T4. You'd have PRIORITY ACCESS and Flagship lounge access at T4.

Sofitel service would be based on flights out of Tom Bradley.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:59 pm

If I'm traveling solely in First class for a domestic flight on AA do I have access to the TBIT lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.