Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

LAX - TBIT oneworld Lounge Access (Combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Access Ready Reckoner:

For access just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US based (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier traveling on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. An AAdvantage or Mileage Plan of Sapphire or Emerald tier traveling on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely part of a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First & Business Class passengers traveling on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely part of a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers on an itinerary which includes First & Business Class travel on a oneworld marketed and operated flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from a domestic oneworld Marketed and Operated flight or an international short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight.
  5. *Recent Reports indicate the following access is being denied with Patrons being redirected to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: First and Business Class passengers traveling on an American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight between Los Angeles & New York on three class aircraft.
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).
§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day.
LAX oneworld Business and Qantas First Lounges
LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT)
Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

oneworld Los Angeles (Business) Lounge

Opening hours: Daily: 06:30 - 23:30

Capacity: ~400

AMENITIES:
  • Computer connected to Internet
  • Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
  • Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
  • Barista and coffee selections
  • Shower suites (16)

Notes: The stylish and spacious Business Class Lounge has a contemporary design reflecting Californian culture, combined with signature elements from each airline, built around a communal fireplace and central glass atrium providing natural light. In the lounge's dining area, customers can choose from menus, designed by renowned Qantas chef Neil Perry, based on signature Qantas Lounge favourites with influences of multicultural California, including Italian, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and US West Coast street food. Californian food carts similar to the pop-up dining concept offer freshly prepared dishes. At the cocktail bar, customers can select signature cocktails or premium wines, or have the barista create the coffee of their choice. The lounge also offers an enhanced hot and cold buffet, faster WiFi, new workstations and sixteen shower suites with Aurora Spa amenities.
Qantas First Lounge

Opening hours: Daily: 06:30 - 23:30

Capacity: ~200

AMENITIES:
  • Computer connected to Internet
  • Neil Perry restaurant (74 seats, a la carte dining)
  • Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
  • Barista with coffee selections
  • Shower suites (7)
  • Business suites (2 - can be combined for conference room)
  • Shirt pressing (First)

Notes: The Qantas Los Angeles First Lounge defines a new standard of luxury and sophistication for First and eligible premium customers travelling through LAX. The spacious, light and open plan lounge is three times the size of the previous First Lounge. The lounge features a 74-seat a la carte restaurant, Californian Knoll furniture selected by Marc Newson, including 12 Eero Saarinen Womb Chairs with matching ottomans, 2 private work suites that can open into one larger private meeting room, state of the art wi-fi, wireless printing capabilities, TVs equipped with cable television and 7 dedicated shower suites, complete with Aurora Spa products. The a la carte Rockpool menu has been designed by Neil Perry, featuring signature dishes from the Qantas flagship Sydney and Melbourne lounges, as well as locally inspired LA cuisine. Menus will change seasonally, every 3 months. Access to First Class Lounges is restricted to Emerald members or those travelling in First Class.
LAX TBIT oneworld lounges access rules: (v. Feb 25, 2016)

oneworld Business Lounge operated by Qantas

Please note this is not a Qantas Club and is not part of any recipripocity agreement with Admirals Clubs. Must be Sapphire or Business class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or

• Departing on a oneworld flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or

• Departing in First or Business on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T aircraft.

• A Qantas Club member (no AA Admirals Club reciprocity, however)

• "Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result."

Qantas - oneworld First Lounge

Must be Emerald or First class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or

• Departing on a oneworld flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or

• Departing in First on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

Link to one world lounge access rules and lounge locator
Qantas First Class Lounge for OneWorld Emeralds and First Class Travelers - opened late 2014

Qantas press release

Airside connector open from terminals 4, 5, 6 and 7 to TBIT - Feb 2016

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 (AA forum)

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Updated 7 Mar 2017 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
It's about time Qantas public relations issued an appropriate apology to elite frequent flyers and Qantas Club members who have been denied access to TBIT lounges without justification. Adequate compensation may be more difficult to determine but at least they should make the effort.
With the return next month of AA flights LAX-SYD and return I would hope the staff are particularly aware of lounge access rules.

Last edited by grussellt; Nov 13, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by grussellt
It's about time Qantas public relations issued an appropriate apology to elite frequent flyers and Qantas Club members who have been denied access to TBIT lounges without justification. Adequate compensation may be more difficult to determine but at least they should make the effort.
I haven't even had a reply to my email complaint from Mr. X at Qantas. I imagine that they are just planning to wait us out and assuming that we will forget. I did get a somewhat boilerplate response from BA.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by moa999
AusBT suggests some changes have occured, after talking to oneworld reps..
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-cla...in-los-angeles
I found one paragraph from the above link, that said (copied and pasted below):
"Similarly, AA’s long-haul business and first class passengers “travelling on a domestic flight to connect to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin as part of single itinerary … too should have (lounge) access.”

Is this true? I though access is allowed regardless of class of service, all other criteria remains same.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I found one paragraph from the above link, that said (copied and pasted below):
"Similarly, AA’s long-haul business and first class passengers “travelling on a domestic flight to connect to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin as part of single itinerary … too should have (lounge) access.”

Is this true? I though access is allowed regardless of class of service, all other criteria remains same.
That sentence is for premium cabin passengers who do not have sufficient elite status for lounge access. Their premium cabin provides lounge access.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

Not adding much but also was denied access and don't think I should've been. EXP flying NRT-LAX-PHL in J for long haul, Y for short haul. Long layover so hopped over to TBIT. Emailed Qantas. Was told I was rightly denied access. Quite frustrating
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Gberg
Not adding much but also was denied access and don't think I should've been. EXP flying NRT-LAX-PHL in J for long haul, Y for short haul. Long layover so hopped over to TBIT. Emailed Qantas. Was told I was rightly denied access. Quite frustrating
Are you an AA EXP?

NRT-LAX on AA?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:22 pm

Yes, I'm an AA EXP. Flew AA on all segments. Same ticket.

My understanding was with an international ticket, lounge access was granted even on connecting domestic segments
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Deleted as wrong!

Last edited by MADPhil; Nov 17, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

My understanding was with an international ticket, lounge access was granted even on connecting domestic segments
You should have had access to the J lounge.

In this case, your access is not based on EXP... but rather it is based on J ticket class:

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
This from the one world site

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Nov 17, 2015 at 3:11 pm
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

When was this?

If between Oct 17th and Nov 10th staff had been given incorrect information (basically being told to deny access to anyone on AA flights).

This has been rectified.

If I were you I would reply to Qantas citing the above oneworld connecting flight/international information and again asking why access was denied given oneworld rules. Make sure you use the reference number.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 17, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Does anyone have any recent experience as an non-AA OWS or OWE getting into this lounge on a domestic AA itinerary?

Will be flying through LAX next Tuesday on a PVG-LAX-SFO itinerary so curious if this issue has been fixed...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:17 pm

It was before Nov. 10 so will do
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by no2chem
Does anyone have any recent experience as an non-AA OWS or OWE getting into this lounge on a domestic AA itinerary?

Will be flying through LAX next Tuesday on a PVG-LAX-SFO itinerary so curious if this issue has been fixed...
I have come across anecdotes in the last week or so that the issue has been rectified, although it apparently took two attempts for management to re-educate staff.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
You should have had access to the J lounge.

In this case, your access is not based on EXP... but rather it is based on J ticket class:

This from the one world site
No, Gberg is connecting from NRT, so the AA élite exception does not apply, and he should have been admitted to the F lounge just like other EMDs.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Hi all,

I just left the TBIT ow J lounge. The issue is not completely fixed. I flew in on a PVG-LAX-SFO flight. I am ow Sapphire -- showed the dragon my AA LAX-SFO ticket and airberlin card, and the AA ticket seemed to still be an immediate cause for alarm. At first, she hesitated, then had to go back to check with her manager, and then eventually said OK because you were on an international long haul flight. I let her know that it should be okay even if I was flying short haul, but she seemed to ignore me.

Anyways, I think the conclusion is: expect resistance if you have an AA ticket, and you'll probably have to fight a bit with the agents if you're on a domestic only flight (unless someone has experience otherwise). Probably the agents need another round of re-education. Don't expect a warm welcome from this lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.