Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

LAX - TBIT oneworld Lounge Access (Combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Access Ready Reckoner:

For access just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US based (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier traveling on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. An AAdvantage or Mileage Plan of Sapphire or Emerald tier traveling on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely part of a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First & Business Class passengers traveling on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely part of a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers on an itinerary which includes First & Business Class travel on a oneworld marketed and operated flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from a domestic oneworld Marketed and Operated flight or an international short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight.
  5. *Recent Reports indicate the following access is being denied with Patrons being redirected to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: First and Business Class passengers traveling on an American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight between Los Angeles & New York on three class aircraft.
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).
§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day.
LAX oneworld Business and Qantas First Lounges
LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT)
Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

oneworld Los Angeles (Business) Lounge

Opening hours: Daily: 06:30 - 23:30

Capacity: ~400

AMENITIES:
  • Computer connected to Internet
  • Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
  • Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
  • Barista and coffee selections
  • Shower suites (16)

Notes: The stylish and spacious Business Class Lounge has a contemporary design reflecting Californian culture, combined with signature elements from each airline, built around a communal fireplace and central glass atrium providing natural light. In the lounge's dining area, customers can choose from menus, designed by renowned Qantas chef Neil Perry, based on signature Qantas Lounge favourites with influences of multicultural California, including Italian, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and US West Coast street food. Californian food carts similar to the pop-up dining concept offer freshly prepared dishes. At the cocktail bar, customers can select signature cocktails or premium wines, or have the barista create the coffee of their choice. The lounge also offers an enhanced hot and cold buffet, faster WiFi, new workstations and sixteen shower suites with Aurora Spa amenities.
Qantas First Lounge

Opening hours: Daily: 06:30 - 23:30

Capacity: ~200

AMENITIES:
  • Computer connected to Internet
  • Neil Perry restaurant (74 seats, a la carte dining)
  • Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
  • Barista with coffee selections
  • Shower suites (7)
  • Business suites (2 - can be combined for conference room)
  • Shirt pressing (First)

Notes: The Qantas Los Angeles First Lounge defines a new standard of luxury and sophistication for First and eligible premium customers travelling through LAX. The spacious, light and open plan lounge is three times the size of the previous First Lounge. The lounge features a 74-seat a la carte restaurant, Californian Knoll furniture selected by Marc Newson, including 12 Eero Saarinen Womb Chairs with matching ottomans, 2 private work suites that can open into one larger private meeting room, state of the art wi-fi, wireless printing capabilities, TVs equipped with cable television and 7 dedicated shower suites, complete with Aurora Spa products. The a la carte Rockpool menu has been designed by Neil Perry, featuring signature dishes from the Qantas flagship Sydney and Melbourne lounges, as well as locally inspired LA cuisine. Menus will change seasonally, every 3 months. Access to First Class Lounges is restricted to Emerald members or those travelling in First Class.
LAX TBIT oneworld lounges access rules: (v. Feb 25, 2016)

oneworld Business Lounge operated by Qantas

Please note this is not a Qantas Club and is not part of any recipripocity agreement with Admirals Clubs. Must be Sapphire or Business class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or

• Departing on a oneworld flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or

• Departing in First or Business on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T aircraft.

• A Qantas Club member (no AA Admirals Club reciprocity, however)

• "Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result."

Qantas - oneworld First Lounge

Must be Emerald or First class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or

• Departing on a oneworld flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or

• Departing in First on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

Link to one world lounge access rules and lounge locator
Qantas First Class Lounge for OneWorld Emeralds and First Class Travelers - opened late 2014

Qantas press release

Airside connector open from terminals 4, 5, 6 and 7 to TBIT - Feb 2016

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 (AA forum)

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Updated 7 Mar 2017 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

LAX - TBIT oneworld Lounge Access (Combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Someone mentioned overcrowding in the morning. This may be at least part of the answer. IIRC, it is legitimate for a lounge to deny access to people with an access entitlement based solely on OW status, if the lounge is at capacity, or soon will be. After all, in the absence of being able to do that, the outcome would be that the lounge operator would have to deny access to people with paid memberships to the lounge, and/or premium-cabin passengers on their own carrier. If you had to make a choice, which would you choose? If this is indeed the reason, then better communication could go a long way in solving the problem, along with allowing access during non-peak hours.

Considering how new the lounges are at LAX, it could be considered poor planning if they routinely reach capacity. But, the change in terminal access rules for passengers at LAX, as well as AA operating domestic flights out of TBIT, may be even newer than the lounges, or at least their planning, and they're having to react to the changing situation.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by no2chem
Rude agent this afternoon ... He also kept claiming he was the manager (really? The manager has to stand as a front line agent? Dont make me laugh...)
Actually, that's exactly what you want to see. If true, it would make the lounge a better-run place. Which do you think would be better: have the manager work the front desk (along with other positions) at least part of the time, so they know exactly what is going on, or to have the manager hide in a back office?

But, there's a better question to ask in such situation. Instead of asking for "the manager" or "a manager," ask for "your manager." This way, even if the person you're dealing with is a manager themselves, you're still requesting to take it up to whatever the next level is in the hierarchy. They may in fact be the duty manager, in which case you've reached as far as you can, at least on-site and at that point in time.

It reminds me of a situation that coincidentally I happened to observe in the TBIT check-in area. There was some disagreement with a passenger and a particular personnel (he may have been a line-minder employed by a third-party company - I don't remember the details). The passenger asked for a manager, and the person replied that he was a manager. The passenger then asked for whomever was the next person in charge, and the person repeated that he was a manager. The passenger then asked, "So, you are in charge of this whole airport?" which forced the person to admit that they did indeed have a boss that could be summoned.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
What part doesn't seem fair: that you should have to write AA, or that AA should have to pay for lounge access? Considering that AA probably does have to pay for every lounge entry into a partner lounge, they may not be terribly excited about getting the problem fixed. In fact, they may have put the LIH flight in TBIT specifically because it has a very low number of AC members and thus the lowest amount of passengers inconvenienced due to lack of lounge access. And the yields of the flight may not justify paying for lounge access.

As to whether it's "fair" that AA should have to pay another oneworld carrier for use of their lounge, I don't see any other way it could work. If it were a free-for-all, there would be no incentive for AA or any other carrier to operate a lounge in an airport where there was another oneworld lounge. It would be a race to the bottom.
My feeling was that it should be BA that pays as my qualification for access is as a BAEC elite and that the AA flight was merely incidental. On the other hand if AA had not chosen to operate from TBIT I would probably not have tried to use the OW lounge. However, in principle, I could have accessed the lounge with a T4 departure as others have tried to do. I note that on the OW web site AA is listed in the entry for that lounge!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
Someone mentioned overcrowding in the morning. This may be at least part of the answer. IIRC, it is legitimate for a lounge to deny access to people with an access entitlement based solely on OW status, if the lounge is at capacity, or soon will be. After all, in the absence of being able to do that, the outcome would be that the lounge operator would have to deny access to people with paid memberships to the lounge, and/or premium-cabin passengers on their own carrier. If you had to make a choice, which would you choose? If this is indeed the reason, then better communication could go a long way in solving the problem, along with allowing access during non-peak hours.

Considering how new the lounges are at LAX, it could be considered poor planning if they routinely reach capacity. But, the change in terminal access rules for passengers at LAX, as well as AA operating domestic flights out of TBIT, may be even newer than the lounges, or at least their planning, and they're having to react to the changing situation.
When I was there at 07:15 the terminal was almost deserted away from the AA gates and traffic at the lounge entrance was very low. Of course they might have been expecting a rush. However they have not mentioned capacity in any of the rejections that have been reported.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:59 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I have merged the two threads covering the Oneworld lounge at TBIT/LAX.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I call BS on overcrowding... lounge is enormous...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by stvr
I call BS on overcrowding... lounge is enormous...
Especially in the mornings ...
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
The mischief-maker in me would love to be fobbed off on the grounds of capacity constraints, wait quietly until someone was granted entry, and then loudly telephone the local fire department stating that we had seen someone given entry to an overcrowded facility

Not that I would actually do that, you understand. There's just part of me that would like to see the faces of the lounge staff

;-P
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA SILVER, AA EXEC PLAT
If anyone has success accessing the TBIT Oneworld on a domestic AA ticket with a oneworld emerald or sapphire status please let us know. I'll be interested to see if this has been fixed or not. Thanks :-)
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by atlantic1
If anyone has success accessing the TBIT Oneworld on a domestic AA ticket with a oneworld emerald or sapphire status please let us know. I'll be interested to see if this has been fixed or not. Thanks :-)
The last few posts on the Australian forum: http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...-71613-16.html suggest that they are still working on it. The fact that it is taking so long when it ought to just require issuing correct instructions suggests that they are not going to do that. Which doesn't excuse their behaviour up until they publish their new rules openly.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The last few posts on the Australian forum: http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...-71613-16.html suggest that they are still working on it. The fact that it is taking so long when it ought to just require issuing correct instructions suggests that they are not going to do that. Which doesn't excuse their behaviour up until they publish their new rules openly.
Tried again today to access the qantas first lounges as a BA gold (oneworld emerald) on a domestic aa ticket LAX-LAS, still denied entry. Problem is still there!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:15 pm

[QUOTE=MADPhil;25665435]The last few posts on the Australian forum: [url]http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/qantas-frequent-flyer-program/tbit-qantas-business-lounge-extremely-71613-16.html
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
AusBT suggests some changes have occured, after talking to oneworld reps..
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-cla...in-los-angeles

including atlantic's issues
"Blunt confirmed that Qantas frequent flyers and all other Sapphire/Emerald members “should be granted access” to the TBIT lounges prior to all AA domestic flights."
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:01 am

I have a domestic AA flight coming up. I can't wait to try this as a one world emerald, I wonder if the staff have received the message. Has anyone had any luck lately?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I posted on the AA forum yesterday:

Originally Posted by serfty
In the last few days staff have been appraised of the correct access criteria.

I do know of a Qantas Elite who yesterday was admitted prior to an AA domestic flight as part of a domestic itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.