Etihad to build fourth alliance...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:01 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Etihad to build fourth alliance...

http://www.traveldaily.com.au/news/t...lliance/204630

The airline that stated until recenlty that they didn't believe in alliances has flip-flopped and now wants to start a fourth alliance.

They already have some kind of alliance with the stakes they have in different airlines but are inviting other airlines to join as well. Even if they're part of an existing alliance. (AB is given as an example here)

I wonder how they will make this happen and if there're no conflicts of interest. Chances of AB quitting OW just got a bit bigger I think.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
So if Sky Team is known as "Leftover Team", what name will be applied to this new alliance?

Also, I'd never heard of Darwin Airline - what did it evolve from?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by pandaperth
So if Sky Team is known as "Leftover Team", what name will be applied to this new alliance?

Also, I'd never heard of Darwin Airline - what did it evolve from?
I believe Darwin Airline doesn't exist any longer. I thought EY renamed them to a regional carrier based in Switzerland.

Here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...-regional.html
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:12 pm

Are members really just allied with Etihad or with each other? The former isn't really an alliance.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
The article states "a shared passion for superior service, are central to the ethos of the Etihad Airways Partner concept." AB has one of the WORST customer service reputations. How does this align? Based on personal experience I would not mourn the loss of AB from OW.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by rrgg
Are members really just allied with Etihad or with each other? The former isn't really an alliance.
I think all the airlines named as founding members are owned (partly or fully) by Etihad. There are others not on that initial list.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: AA PPro
This bit at the end "shared pilot and cabin crew training at the EY facilities in Abu Dhabi" makes me think it's not a first among equals alliance as per (broadly!) the other three, but an extension of EY's strategy of investing in airlines. I.e. a staging post for possible future investment and/or a way to get the kind of influence EY wants from direct investment but at lower cost.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm sure they can get Alaska to partner up with them, AS will partner with anyone!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
You can't consider it the fourth alliance bacause they don't have any US based member. Not to mention the 6 airlines but Etihad are all pretty small and the markets they serve are pretty limited.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
You can't consider it the fourth alliance bacause they don't have any US based member. Not to mention the 6 airlines but Etihad are all pretty small and the markets they serve are pretty limited.
Is a US based member a requirement of an alliance?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:03 am

The cant really form an alliance with Etihad being the centre without other airlines forming bonds amongst themselves...it would be more like a corporation.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by CMK10
Is a US based member a requirement of an alliance?
Of course no, but the U.S. is the biggest aviation market, if you don't have a partner there you'd struggle to compete with the other three.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
The article states "a shared passion for superior service, are central to the ethos of the Etihad Airways Partner concept." AB has one of the WORST customer service reputations. How does this align? Based on personal experience I would not mourn the loss of AB from OW.
Me neither
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Looks like SAA will soon be a new member - apparently there will be a joint announcement from SA and EY on the 9th December.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:23 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Looks like SAA will soon be a new member - apparently there will be a joint announcement from SA and EY on the 9th December.
Interesting. I hope that doesn't mean they are going to leave *A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.