Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Oneworld ex Auckland to US

Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Need to get from Wellington/Auckland New Zealand over to Chicago. I am OW Gold, but dont have status with any other alliance.

I assumed American would fly direct here but everything I search on a Oneworld airline involves going through Sydney which adds a 4 hour flight in the wrong direction, and makes the flight to LAX or DFW even longer then if I was going from NZ.

So my question is...is there any Oneworld airline that can get me from NZ direct to the US without going via Australia?

Otherwise my upgrade chances and lounge access are nil
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No. Unless you really want to take a long detour via Australia or via South America, you will need to choose a non One World carrier. Going via Australia would turn a 12 hour journey into a 20 hour journey.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

OK thanks Dave.

Time to get friendly with Star Alliance.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shamrock55
....Otherwise my upgrade chances and lounge access are nil
If you want to upgrade with an AA instrument you cannot do as AA does not fly to Australia (but codeshares on QF). Via Asia you may have a small chance of an upgrade, but you have to get to an airport that AA flys from. If you have AA miles look for an award on QF or one of non OW AA partners.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/where...false&from=Nav

Lounge access will be as per your AA (OW) status if applicable
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
From AKL it is a significant extra time to fly via SYD/MEL/BNE to go oneworld, however another option is Air Fiji via NAN to LAX, connecting to AA.

From WLG it is still longer flying via SYD (QF operates WLG-SYD) than via AKL on Air NZ, but the time difference is not as big as it is ex-AKL.

The only other fairly direct options are Air NZ or Hawaiian for AKL to HNL connecting to AA, or a much longer routing on LAN for AKL to SCL then onward to USA.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis First, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
QF to via SYD/MEL/BNE or CX via HGK
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
From AKL it is a significant extra time to fly via SYD/MEL/BNE to go oneworld, however another option is Air Fiji via NAN to LAX, connecting to AA.

From WLG it is still longer flying via SYD (QF operates WLG-SYD) than via AKL on Air NZ, but the time difference is not as big as it is ex-AKL.

The only other fairly direct options are Air NZ or Hawaiian for AKL to HNL connecting to AA, or a much longer routing on LAN for AKL to SCL then onward to USA.
I forgot to mention there is also AA partner TN LAX-AKL via PPT.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
TN on AKL-PPT-LAX should be your best choice, otherwise AKL-SCL-US
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
While it still won't help you get upgrades or lounge access, AA does codeshare on TN.
AKL-(PPT)-LAX is a direct flight - AA7176

Accruing to AAdvantage, you will get full miles
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look like Shamrock55 will maybe be on QF http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-a380-lax.html
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Well spotted.

Air NZ PE was $500 more expensive then QF via Syd. I weighed up the options and decided the extra flight times in the wrong direction are worth the 50,000 points i'll earn, but I'll probably blow 45,000 of those on an upgrade to J on the way back to Syd.

Plus booking PE means the trans tasman flights are Business and i'll sleep a bit. Allthough the 737 is tiny, I've really enjoyed the trans jetconnect business service before so I went for it.

Don't think I'd sleep in the Air NZ PE Spaceseat on the 777, wheras I like the PE seats on QF 747s and A380s Will be one way on each aircraft.

Also really wanted lounge access at LAX and ORD so going this way give me the all important shower in between legs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.