Oneworld connection protection on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Of course, do not forget to collect the EUR600 compensation for the cancellation

Under EC261, would be entitled to a full refund if choosing not to travel

I don't think you will be at all disappointed with VS business class , nor the neat set up at Heathrow with the dedicated security entrance and a really nice lounge
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't think you will be at all disappointed with VS business class , nor the neat set up at Heathrow with the dedicated security entrance and a really nice lounge
VS was pretty good. The lounge is very eccentric. With 16hrs notice they were also able to handle my special meal request for the flight. Plenty of flight attendants and very quick to keep my OJ topped up. The IFE seems pretty dated on VS, though. No idea how it compares to BA0003, though.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Im confused/curious in what way the lounge was eccentric
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Im confused/curious in what way the lounge was eccentric
This is what stood out:
* The grey goose room with the bookshelf/tv section.
* The 60's style chairs.
* The TVs showing a video of a fire.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Often1

AA used to have such a policy and published it on its customer-facing website. But, the provision has been removed. That suggests a conscious decision to remove the policy and thus a change. While others have located the old policy in TA-facing pages not available to the general public, it is unclear that those were left in place in error and, even so, a bit hard to argue because it isn't public.
Seems to me the other way around. One could view it that AA considered its policy and decided to leave in place the directive to agents to provide protection.

Hard to argue? Maybe, but I have a screenshot and I'd let the agent read it and politely ask him/her to do what AA has directed. Let them then show me how policy has in fact changed and directive no longer applies.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
OP here.

Not to re-kindle the whole debate - personally believe this to be a 'make what you want to, of incomplete info' situation where one may or may not agree that there is an alliance wide connection protection policy - justifiably so!

I continue to be in the camp that does believe that such a policy exists but that one would need a bit (lot?) of pro-activeness, if caught in a bothersome situation across carriers. To me, these 2 posts were telling in particular:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25407486

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25956482

QR's in particular, given that they don't seem to have a great reputation when it comes to dealing with alliance partners.

Last edited by jagmeets; Jan 18, 2016 at 6:24 am
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jagmeets
OP here.

Not to re-kindle the whole debate - personally believe this to be a 'make what you want to, of incomplete info' situation where one may or may not agree that there is an alliance wide connection protection policy - justifiably so!

I continue to be in the camp that does believe that such a policy exists but that one would need a bit (lot?) of pro-activeness, if caught in a bothersome situation across carriers. To me, these 2 posts were telling in particular:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25407486

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25956482
I don't understand how the second thread supports your position. Okay I can see CX went out of their way to help, but S7 did not assist the OP in any way. I think that says more about CX than oneworld.

Being stranded in Moscow while S7 disclaims responsibility and suggests you talk to CX (at another airport) is exactly the kind of problem I would be worried about on separate tickets.

Last edited by Calchas; Jan 18, 2016 at 6:25 am
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:23 am
Original Poster

CX, the carrier that caused the poster to miss the S7 flight, did rebook to the final destination.

Yes, problems with the booking itself, but they did protect...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
I don't understand how the second thread supports your position. Okay I can see CX went out of their way to help, but S7 did not assist the OP in any way. I think that says more about CX than oneworld.

Being stranded in Moscow while S7 disclaims responsibility and suggests you talk to CX (at another airport) is exactly the kind of problem I would be worried about on separate tickets.
Sorry, replied too quickly to your original post.

Yes, the 2nd post is a great example of someone facing issues because of a wrongly booked ticket, on carriers other than the one that issued the ticket. That in itself, doesn't take anything away from the the fact that the pax misconnected across separate tickets, and, was protected.

Would I rely on this for a S7->AB connection across separate tickets? Probably not.
For anything to/from CX: in a blink (partly to do with my status with CX).
For anything to/from the 'major' oneworld carriers (from my perspective- pretty much all but RJ, MH, AB, S7 and possibly LA/QR...I'm comfy enough with UL): very likely yes.
Old May 16, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Just to add my experience today -

LHR-MIA with BA in World Traveller Plus (Prem Econ)
MIA-BOG with AA in Econ
2.5 hour stopover
Bought as completely separate flights. BA exec club number was provided to AA for miles/tier point etc but the BA MMB system had no way of identifying the AA flight anyway.

On checkin with BA I asked to have my boarding pass printed for AA, they attempted and failed (some kind of system error). So I think it is possible but not reliable. I did not have any hold luggage.

BA flight was delayed for 2 hours on take off due to a fuel leak (eek). On landing in MIA BA staff was ready and pre-booked alternative flights for all connecting flight passenger already which they had on their system. However not for me, as it turned out they didn't have me on the system as a connecting flight PAX.

Because there was 40 minutes before the flight actually leaves, they told me to run and give it a try. They handed me a bring orange piece of paper that was suppose to give me priority to certain queues.

Flight ultimately missed after passport control + ESTA nightmare (another story, but ultimately we waited 30minutes for the fast queues passport computer to boot up). Went to AA desk, told them the situation and they booked me onto the next AA flight (which was next day 10am) without questions. Brilliant service, even got me a good aisle seat. The only thing was that they said they cannot book the overnight accommodation for me and I had to goto the BA desk to sort that out.

Went to BA desk afterwards. Straight away they were expecting a few of us from the flight. Immediate printed a Sheraton and 2x light beverage (value $19 each) which can be used at Sheraton or inside the airport along with an apology letter. Hopped on to airport-hotel shuttle, and that was that.

Note - At the hotel there was a couple that came with the apology letter but no voucher and was asked to go back to the airport to get it from BA. An unfortunate lapse perhaps. The voucher itself does not contain any kind of code - it is akin to a IOU slip that is printed on a boarding pass paper.

So in conclusion, at no point did I need to point out my rights or wave the OneWorld flag. MIA airport itself was a nightmare, but BA/AA got their stuff together nicely.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk timothyy. I'm glad you had a relatively smooth experience despite the delay. Please do stick around and join in with the discussion here on FlyerTalk.

There are several ways to check in for a remote sector from a different airport and you will find some staff know all the ways and some staff only know the "easy" way. Sometimes the flight is locked for editing which will prevent remote check ins and sometimes the passenger must be locally checked in. But it never hurts to ask a second staff member as they might know a different way to do it.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
American Airlines will still protect Oneworld transfers.

Looked all over to find proof AA will still cover missed connections for AA-Oneworld (and AA-AA). Didn't see anything (just lots of speculation). So posting here. Of course they don't interline the bags anymore but you can still buy two tickets and expect them to honor the connection.

See link on VFTW:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ghts-go-wrong/

Buried in the comments is the link to AA.com:
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...king_index.pdf
lfc84 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi there,

I am in a situation where I have two separate tickets.
BKK-HKG-NRT (CX) All in Business
NRT-DFW-BOS (AA) Economy but upgraded to Business with SWU

My BKK-HKG is delayed enough to be not able to make any of the
remaining flights. Is CX responsible to get me to BOS ? Also my
AA ticket shows as C class in CX system. Does that mean they
will get me to BOS in Business ?

Any advice will help me today...Thanks...F.A.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, CX is responsible to get you to NRT. If you no show for your second ticket, that has nothing to do with CX and it is beyond AA's rebooking policy.

However, AA can be decent about these things and you find a sympathetic agent willing to rebook you. Whether that will be in J with a SWU is unclear and totally dependent on availability and routing. You should plan on having to purchase a new ticket with the old AA ticket as a credit and flying in Y, and then being pleasantly surprised if you pay nothing and even more pleasantly surprised if in J.

For what it is worth, CX would rebook you onto another CX ticket and AA would rebook you onto another AA or OW ticket. But, neither would book CX-to-AA.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:20 pm

You should also read the rules for the AA ticket you hold. I think usually you lose any value in a ticket if you don't act some time before the departure of the flight; back in the day, a late inbound would probably moderate that requirement, but it's a new day and the carrier you're dealing with is mostly USAir dba AA. And talk to the explat desk now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.