Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Why Oneworld Airlines Do Not Have Rimowa Amenity Kits

Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold

I just came across an interesting thought - all of the current Rimowa kit-equipped airlines happen to be part of Star Alliance. Is it some sort of conspiracy? Why don't SkyTeam or Oneworld airlines give out the Rimowa kits? Yes, there's Tumi and Emernegildo Zegna and others being given out, but none has quite the cachet of Rimowa.

Maybe it's a Lufthansa influence?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Rimowa is a German company and has had the natural link with LH, though it's current amenity kit is no longer the Rimowa. The overall design of these cases (real and amenity) was based on the old Junkers transport, LH's predecessor airline's primary aircraft in the 30s and 40s. And adopted in the seat design of LH's premium cabins for a couple of generations. That said, I think they are quite unfunctional and only have value as an eBay item, though with the adoption by BR, that market is getting flooded.

AA has opted to go with the American design house of Charles Eames for its kits (and make the F ones functional as iPad cases); QF's is rather mediocre these days as is CX's; JL's new one is Lowes luxury from Spain; and BA has used English handbag design Anya Hindmarsh for theirs.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:42 pm
Suspended

It is just a name with a good marketing department. I think QF once had the a great product with the hard square box with the Australian indio pattern.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by chongcao
It is just a name with a good marketing department.
Exactly. I never thought that their suitcases were that great.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
that's where now Germans are excelling: marketing and spin, discharging production excellence along the way. The brand in itself has an aura of tacky kitsch, besides being completely dysfunctional for any serious travel purpose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.