Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booked QF code flights on Emirates plane - should use emirates or avios to get miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked QF code flights on Emirates plane - should use emirates or avios to get miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

New to the forum so Hi!

I'm travelling Birmingham to Brisbane then the return trip Melbourne to kuala Lumpar and then back on to Birmingham.

I booked the flight through a travel agent. The flights have a QF code but operated by Emirates.

Is it more advantageous to use my Emirates scheme or BA Exec Club to collect points

Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Welcome to FlyerTalk Jodie MUA,

I'm not familiar with the Emirates scheme, so I can't advise on that. However assuming you're travelling in economy class, most QF economy fares will only earn 25% of Avios if you credit them to BA Executive Club (BAEC).

If you're travelling in Business Class, then it may be worthwhile crediting to BAEC as you should receive 1.25 Avios per mile flown, but you will need to consider what you would get by comparison with Emirates.

One other thing to note, if you decide to credit to BAEC and are hoping for Tier Points (TPs) on your QF flights, technically speaking you will not get any as it is not a oneworld operated flight. Some people have reported getting TPs on QF flights operated by Emirates, but it is by no means guaranteed.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Jodie MUA
I booked the flight through a travel agent. The flights have a QF code but operated by Emirates.
In British Airways Executive Club, would earn Avios, but not Tier Points:

Originally Posted by BA, at the very bottom of the page
** Flights booked under the Qantas code (QF) operated by a non-oneworld airline will earn Avios but not Tier Points.
In Emirates Skywards, you will earn both Skyward Miles and Tier Miles.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 16, 2014 at 10:36 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I thought Emirates Tier Miles were only earnt on an EK coded flight (either Emirates metal or others)
Taking an Emirates flight (a flight number starting with EK) is the only way you can earn Tier Miles
I suspect the only program this flight will earn status is QF, albeit some other oneworld programs may recognise it, and will provide base points.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by irishguy28
In Emirates Skywards, you will earn both Skyward Miles and Tier Miles.
Nope, the EK/QF deal requires the pax be traveling on their own programs code to earn status (Tier Miles/Status Credits).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You won't get Avios miles with a QF flight flown on EK metal. According to the BA site:

"Including QantasLink (QF) and Jetconnect (QF)

"Executive Club Members can collect Avios on the following flights:

"flights marketed and operated by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates under the QF designated code
"flights marketed by Qantas but operated by Jetstar booked as oneworld fare in L class only
"flights marketed by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates and operated by BA or another oneworld carrier under a codeshare agreement"

EK is not a OW member so even with QF flight numbers, those flights won't earn Avios.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Shareholder
You won't get Avios miles with a QF flight flown on EK metal. According to the BA site:

"flights marketed and operated by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates under the QF designated code
"flights marketed by Qantas but operated by Jetstar booked as oneworld fare in L class only
"flights marketed by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates and operated by BA or another oneworld carrier under a codeshare agreement"

EK is not a OW member so even with QF flight numbers, those flights won't earn Avios.
Do you have the link to the page? The link given by irishguy28 specifically gives EK operated QF flights as an exception, so I would go by that.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:34 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving this to the BAEC board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:42 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Shareholder

The BA website has conflicting information. The information you have copied above is displayed under the QF earning page.

The main earning page lists the following:
** Flights booked under the Qantas code (QF) operated by a non-oneworld airline will earn Avios but not Tier Points.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights

Past reports initially were that QF code EK metal earnt avios and TP's (even though it shouldn't according to the rules at the time).
Other reports are that QF code EK metal earn avios only.

I haven't seen any reports of it not being credited, however the QF page does seem to have been updated more recently.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:05 am

Interesting. This all helps clarify my thinking as there's a possibility I need to fly from Bangkok to Sydney and I was playing around with the QF vs. EK flights as both operate the route and both offer code share.

I've never flown with either. As someone who prefers BA Club World over almost all other business class products, is it worth choosing an EK flight (on a QF code share) for the experience and general comparison, on one of the legs? Obviously the trade-off is no tier points.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would take EK over QF any time; a much better airline imo

Is the fare the same with QF flight number as the EK one. EK will also provide chauffeur drive service in Sydney if booked as an EK flight

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 24, 2014 at 10:16 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Himeno
Nope, the EK/QF deal requires the pax be traveling on their own programs code to earn status (Tier Miles/Status Credits).
Correct...when I last travelled on EK-coded flights operated by QF, I earned both Skyward Miles (left column) and Tier Miles (right column):

EK5062 was operated by QF82, Qantas metal SIN-SYD (though today, for some reason, it is currently operating on CGK-SYD).

So I guess I was wrong about QF-coded flights earning Tier Miles in Skywards. Sorry!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There have been a number of reports on here of people flying QF coded flights on EK metal getting Avios and TP's - so can happen, but don't take as gospel
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:49 am

Hi all,

Has anyone had some experience with this since the thread has been opened?

Can anyone confirm or contradict that one will earn avios and tier points when flying on EK metal under a QF flight code?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Reviving an old thread. There seems to be some contradiction here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ing-avios.html

Executive Club Members can collect Avios on the following flights:

- flights marketed and operated by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates under the QF designated code
- flights marketed by Qantas but operated by Jetstar booked as oneworld fare in L class only
- flights marketed by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates and operated by BA or another oneworld carrier under a codeshare agreement
vs. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights under Codeshare flights / Will I collect Avios and Tier Points?

**Flights booked under the Qantas code (QF) operated by a non-oneworld airline will earn Avios and Tier Points unless operated by Jetstar in a class other than L class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.