Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emerald Baggage benefit on a "weight based" ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Emerald Baggage benefit on a "weight based" ticket

From what I understand reading here: http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges
as a OWE I should have an extra 20kg over any allowance that a non-emerald passenger on the same type of ticket should have.
I am a bit confused about an upcoming TAM journey, as the website when booking quoted sometimes 33kg and other times 43kg as the allowance for a business class ticket (I had not even put in my emerald number, as the site wasn't ready to accept most partner FQTV numbers yet). When I phoned up, the agent was aware of the Emerald benefit, and aware that business normally has a higher allowance than economy (although he said 33kg at one point and 43kg at another point). But he seemed firm that my absolute maximum was 43kg, which to me seems like it either ignores my Emerald benefit, or it ignores the fact that I paid twice as much for a business class ticket that was supposed to allow more baggage than an economy ticket.
Has anyone run into anything like this with the few routes left in the world that seem to be weight instead of piece based? I also don't know if I need to chase this with TAM or with oneworld if I end up with more than the (rather meagre) 43kg they are telling me I can carry.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
When you get the e-ticket - check out the allowance for each segment.

Then you can add the 20kg.

That's what they should be working off at check-in.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:08 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Schultzois
although he said 33kg at one point and 43kg at another point). But he seemed firm that my absolute maximum was 43kg, which to me seems like it either ignores my Emerald benefit
JJ standard baggage allowance on Weight Concept routes is 23 KG in Y, 33 KG in C and 43 KG in F.

You are also subject to the per-piece limit of 32/45 KG (depending on the route). The Emerald benefit does not override the per-piece limit, but you can check as many pieces as you like under the Weight Concept.

Last edited by KVS; Apr 3, 2014 at 5:44 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Hmmm.... it sounds like what they told me on the phone wasn't correct then (I didn't really think it was).

But can anyone tell me how I can print an e-ticket receipt for a TAM ticket booked through expedia? Expedia sends me a payment receipt and itinerary summary (including a TAM ticket number) but no way to print a receipt including fare basis and baggage allowance.

On the TAM web site, I can look up the itinerary (which also shows the ticket number) but I can't locate an e-ticket receipt anywhere.

On checkmytrip.com I can also look up the itinerary, but again no receipt, and in the baggage field for each flight it says "information not available."

I usually buy directly from the airline (and they send me an e-ticket receipt showing fare basis, baggage allowance, etc.) but in this case the TAM web site was not completing bookings, and their call center was oscillating between extremely busy and utterly incompetent (as in not being able to take a credit card correctly for an existing reservation and process payment). So I finally booked on expedia...
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may not have ticketed as yet.

TA's often hold off ticketing until they have to (keeping the $$$ until then).
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Well, it has a ticket number (and did as of moments after booking). It's also a seven-day advance purchase requirement for a trip starting Monday. So it better be ticketed!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you try classic.checkmytrip.com?

It shows more information than the 'standard' ...

Last edited by serfty; Apr 9, 2014 at 1:18 am Reason: fixed url
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
Did you try classic.checkmytrip.com?

It shows more information than the 'standard' ...
Typo in the embedded link. It's https://classic.checkmytrip.com
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
Typo in the embedded link. It's https://classic.checkmytrip.com
thankyou - missing k - now fixed ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.