Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Average cost of ATW ticket F/C?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Average cost of ATW ticket F/C?

I am trying to round up my miles with American One WOrld by doing a Around The World F/C ticket, 5 continents by 31DEC. I was initially quoted $17,000, then 'Rate Desk' came back with $21,780.
I am going through sticker shock folks. Is this the going rate, average for First Class ATW?
Thanks for all input in advance!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It depends on where you are planning to go ; there is not enough information to answer it
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Mahlem
I am trying to round up my miles with American One WOrld by doing a Around The World F/C ticket, 5 continents by 31DEC. I was initially quoted $17,000, then 'Rate Desk' came back with $21,780.
I am going through sticker shock folks. Is this the going rate, average for First Class ATW?
Thanks for all input in advance!
It depends upon the country where you start your journey. You can use expertflyer.com to price rtw tickets. For example, starting from the US - JFK:
AONE4 is $14899+taxes, surcharges, and etc
AONE5 is $17099+;
AONE6 is $19899+;
DONE4 is $10799+;
DONE5 is $12299+;
DONE6 is $14099.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Given the issue being discussed, the oneworld Forum will likely elicit more information.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Welcome to FT Mahlem

The Oneworld Explorer ticket has a base fare, which depends on:
  • Class of service (first, business or economy)
  • The number of continents (between 3 and 6)
  • The starting country
It appears you were first quoted the base fare for a first class, 5 continent fare starting in the USA (using jerry.a.laska’s numbers) – USD17,099
To the base fare must be added:
  • The various taxes for the countries you will be visiting (items such as the taxes for security inspections, customs, immigration and the like; plus some arbitrary taxes that some countries impose on arrivals or departures)
  • The airline surcharges – mainly fuel surcharges
It would appear that your particular itinerary has taxes and surcharges totalling $4,681 which certainly appears to be very excessive (21780 - 17099). $1,500 would be more typical.

Factors that could cause high taxes and surcharges are:
  • Flights on British Airways – it has very high fuel surcharges, especially when travelling in first class
  • Departing from the United Kingdom – it has a high arbitrary tax called APD (Air Passenger Duty)
Resources you can use to learn more are:
  • The oneworld web page on its Oneworld Explorer ticket
  • The on-line booking tool; you could plug in your planned itinerary and see a complete breakdown of the fare plus the taxes and surcharges

Last edited by pandaperth; Sep 20, 2013 at 11:27 pm Reason: misspelt the OP's handle
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
What do you mean by "trying to round up my miles on American oneworld"?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks, thanks for the replies.

I am just trying to 'round-up' my miles this year so I can get Exec Plat. The thought of spending $21K to do it seems a bit much, certainly on a ATW ticket F/C.
Just looking for advice as to wether this is too much to spend on a 5 continent ticket.

Thank you!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where is it that you have a wish/need to travel to

Compare the price of an ATW ticket vs cheapest premium cabin fares in general and against OW carriers and see how they compare

If, as it sounds, this is a trip just to get status, it sounds quite mad to me and no airline status is worth anywhere close to $21k imo
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If your main purpose is to get to EXP, probably much cheaper to do some domestic MRs. How many miles do you need?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:39 am

These tickets are a good value if you otherwise would buy regular premium class tickets and need to visit several places. They are an even better value when you move your purchasing/staring point to a place where the tickets are cheaper.
They are not very attractive for a mileage run or for situations where you can find relatively inexpensive RTs.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:46 am

Business class earns the same re-qual benefits on AA as first, and besides being significantly cheaper there are more flights with international business class (i.e. beds of some sort) than first class.

If you have the interest, time (a month or two) and money an RTW in a premium cabin can be money well spent. Fun enough to be habit-forming. And the xONEx product can provide the most miles/qpoints per dollar since it's segment-based.

But the fare varies by starting location, in consideration of marketability to the population there and because of exchange rate fluctuation (in places where it's denominated in local currency.) We addicts (especially with families whose company we enjoy) tend to seek out the more affordable starting points. (To that fare, add the cost of getting there and back home at the end of the trip, since T&C for the RTW insist that you end up where you started. (With exceptions.))

If your RTW is to be a mad dash with nothing on your sightseeing list besides airport lounges and airplane interiors, there are cheaper ways to requal. The mileage-run forum is a good resource and includes a "good-deal premium-class fares" thread to get around the purists who think a mileage run can't cost more than five cents a mile. Alas, seldom are q-points mentioned there, nor segment runs. A year or so ago there were opportunities to accumulate 100 segments on AA for $5000 or less, dependent on inexpensive fares that allowed one or two connections.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mahlem
..I am just trying to 'round-up' my miles this year so I can get Exec Plat. The thought of spending $21K to do it seems a bit much, certainly on a ATW ticket F/C.
Just looking for advice as to wether this is too much to spend on a 5 continent ticket.
If you are looking at *ONE* tickets all are limited to 16 segments. So AONE3, AONE4 & AONE5 are all 16 segments at most. Also there are less first class routes now compared to say 5 years ago.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If you are looking at *ONE* tickets all are limited to 16 segments. So AONE3, AONE4 & AONE5 are all 16 segments at most. Also there are less first class routes now compared to say 5 years ago.
And open-jaws eat a segment, and afaik there are no co-terminals (glad to be corrected) so a not-unusual thing like arriving LHR, departing LGW poofs one more of the sixteen. (Someone please tell me there's a way around that...)
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by JohnAx
And open-jaws eat a segment, and afaik there are no co-terminals (glad to be corrected) so a not-unusual thing like arriving LHR, departing LGW poofs one more of the sixteen. (Someone please tell me there's a way around that...)
No way around it that I have seen. The other big one is NRT/HND.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
No way around it that I have seen. The other big one is NRT/HND.
The small ones will sneak up on anyone who thinks e.g. that LAX and ONT are co-terminals in xONEx-land.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.