Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Lounge access depending on which OW airline is used?

Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub

I just looked up lounge availability for a number of airports on the oneworld web page.

What confused me are the airline logos next to some lounges. For instance at Frankfurt, it has

Air France lounge - Finnair logo
Cathay First and Business lounge - Cathay and Malaysia logos
Iberia lounge - Air Berlin and Iberia logos
JAL Sakura and First lounge - BA, AA, JAL, LAN, Jordanian logos
Sky Club - S7 logo

All these lounges are located in the same terminal 2. Some in Schengen (AF and IB lounge), some in non-Schengen, so I do understand that there are some access restrictions related to that.

But does that mean that when I fly on BA I have to use the JAL lounge and cannot use the CX lounge? And when I fly MH I cannot use the JAL lounge? Both are in the non-Schengen part of the airport.

Or can I use any OW lounge that is accessible in terms of security/immigration channels?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Air France lounge is not a One World lounge and so no access there

Generally you can use any lounge of a OW airline as long as you are departing from that airport on a flight both operated by and marketed by a OW airline ; so as long as it is accessible, generally you can use it

There are some exceptions ; e.g. Heathrow has rules that restrict access to lounges in terminal from which departing even if another terminal is accessible

If departing on BA, you should be able to use any OW lounge
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Similar question.
I am MPO GO, which is OW Sapphire.
Can I go to the other OW lounges in HKG when I take CX flight?
Looks that the other choices are Qantas International Business Lounge and The Travelers Lounge for JL, MH, S7, and etc.
If I have the access, does it worth to visit it rather than using CX lounge.

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is a lounge operated by an OW airline, then access is permitted, so CX and QF lounges are def ok

Unless the "Travellers Lounge" is a lounge of a OW airline, rather than a 3rd party lounge which some OW airlines use, then there is no entitlement
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:19 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
Finnair has a strange connection with AF in FRA T2. When flying Finnair business class or when possessing Finnair Plus silver, gold, or platinum, it is possible to use AF lounge. When flying Finnair and possessing, e.g., BA gold card but not Finnair Plus status card, one gets directed to Iberia lounge.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
You may find that lounge opening hours are a better indicator of access than who the lounge is operated by.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, Herz Gold, Regus Businessworld Gold
FRA LAN lounge T1

Don't you know which lounge is appropriate for a LAN flight FRA-MAD-SCL with OW Saphire? It's nice, that on LAN (and OW) site is JAL Sakura Lounge and First however, it is at Terminal 2, while LAN, unlike other companies OW, departing from Frankfurt T1? Thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It is possible to connect airside from T2 to T1 (long walk or take the airtrain). Just leave the lounge earlier than you normally would.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, Herz Gold, Regus Businessworld Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It is possible to connect airside from T2 to T1 (long walk or take the airtrain). Just leave the lounge earlier than you normally would.
Thank you, I hoped for it.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by yuchung5
Similar question.
I am MPO GO, which is OW Sapphire.
Can I go to the other OW lounges in HKG when I take CX flight?
Looks that the other choices are Qantas International Business Lounge and The Travelers Lounge for JL, MH, S7, and etc.
If I have the access, does it worth to visit it rather than using CX lounge.

Thanks
As an MPO GO, I go to the QF Club at HKG sometimes when travelling on CX or KA in Y. Never had any problem. The QF Club in HKG just moved and reduced hours, though. Generally, 3rd-party operated lounges (those not dedicated to OW, such as the travelers lounge) cannot be accessed, though.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:19 pm

The rule is very simple. Oneworld emerald and sapphire members, and passengers travelling on a oneworld airline in Business or First Class, are entitled to access ANY lounge OPERATED BY a oneworld airline PLUS whatever lounge that airline has nominated as their "default" lounge at that airport. However, where a oneworld airline merely contracts with a non-oneworld airline or ground agency to use their lounge, lounge eligible pax travelling on OTHER oneworld airlines CANNOT use that lounge.

So, in FRA (for the moment ignoring access difficulties created by different terminals and Schengen/non-Schengen), a lounge-eligible passenger travelling on BA is entitled to access the CX, IB or JL lounges, but is not entitled to access the AF lounge. However, a lounge-eligible passenger travelling on AY is entitled to access any of the CX, IB or JL lounges, and also the AF lounge (because AY has nominated the AF lounge to be its "default" lounge in FRA).

Last edited by Top of climb; Apr 1, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Top of climb
The rule is very simple. Oneworld emerald and sapphire members, and passengers travelling on a oneworld airline in Business or First Class, are entitled to access ANY lounge OPERATED BY a oneworld airline
That is indeed the rule although BA often ignores that in stations outside of London.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
You can take the FRA-LHR flight operated by BA, accessed to the CX lounge as AA Platinum and credited miles to JL.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by millionmiler
That is indeed the rule although BA often ignores that in stations outside of London.
True. I had some issues in MUC and TXL with an AB BP. Calling the supervisor did do the trick.

In TXL it is the same situation:
If holding an AB BP + any oneworld Status you can:
- Acces the BA Lounge (which closes a bit early) because of the Oneworld Lounge rules
- Access the AF Lounge (which stays open longer) because AB has contracted the AF Lounge.

In MUC it is even more complicated:
BA has its own Lounge (T1B)
QR uses the LH Lounge (in Terminal 2)
IB uses the AF Lounge (T1D)
S7/AB use the Atlantic Lounge (T1C in Generic Airport Lounge)
AY uses the Europe Lounge (T1D Generic Airport Lounge)
There is no Lounge in the AB Module - so all options are not convenient.

With any Oneworld BP (and Status!) you can legally enter the corresponding lounge plus the BA Galleries Lounge, but it is located in the Non-Schengen-International Part and moving in between the modules is possible but complicated.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
As an MPO GO, I go to the QF Club at HKG sometimes when travelling on CX or KA in Y. Never had any problem. The QF Club in HKG just moved and reduced hours, though. Generally, 3rd-party operated lounges (those not dedicated to OW, such as the travelers lounge) cannot be accessed, though.
Funny, I do the opposite - if travelling on BA, I ignore the QF Club and head straight to the Wing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.