Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Help Optimizing An AONE5?

I'm planning an AONE5, probably starting at the end of March. Requirements are:
  1. Maximize flights with F cabins.
  2. Maximize mileage.
  3. True stops will be at BKK and BOS. FLL would be nice, and there's someone I would visit if I stop there, but it's not necessary. Feel free to eliminate it. Note that my current itinerary does not include JFK/BOS and HKG/BKK segments as they are too short and I feel that they are a waste. I'll just buy those separately.

Current planned itinerary is JNB-LHR-MCT-LHR-HKG-SYD-HKG-NRT-HKG-JFK-ORD-FLL-ORD-MIA-LAX-LHR-NBO. Cost (per Expertflyer) is $9,639, producing a cost of 6.87˘ per mile (including 50% class of service and 100% elite status bonuses).

I'm amenable to buying up additional segments (you can do that, right?) if the cpm is worth it.

I'll be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm amenable to buying up additional segments (you can do that, right?) if the cpm is worth it.
You are limited to the 16 segment total for the ticket
In each continent you are allowed a certain number of 'free flight segments' (6 in Nth Am, 4 in every other continent). You are allowed to purchase 1 or 2 more flight segments in any continent except the continent of origin -as long as you keep within the overall 16 segment maximum

I suggest LHR-SYD (on the QF A380) instead of LHR-HKG-SYD
Frees up a segment for use elsewhere
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the idea! A little tweaking got me to JNB-LHR-MCT-LHR-SYD-HKG-NRT-HKG-LAX-BOS-DFW-FLL-ORD-MIA-LAX-LHR-NBO at 6.57˘ per mile and eliminating the cost of the JFK/BOS segments. I welcome all suggestions.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Thanks for the idea! A little tweaking got me to JNB-LHR-MCT-LHR-SYD-HKG-NRT-HKG-LAX-BOS-DFW-FLL-ORD-MIA-LAX-LHR-NBO at 6.57˘ per mile and eliminating the cost of the JFK/BOS segments. I welcome all suggestions.
Only one transcon allowed, see rule 4(l) <link>
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Help Optimizing An AONE5?

Better doing lax-mia on 777 if you can, or route to JFK in F on AA 3-class aircraft for greater comfort.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good idea, but the rest of the itinerary has enough 777 service for me, and it's not my favorite aircraft. A little more tweaking gets me to this: JNB-LHR-MCT-LHR-SYD-HKG-NRT-HKG-JFK-DFW-BOS-DFW-SJU-JFK-LAX-LHR-NBO at 60,241 BIS miles, or 6.4 cpm including COS and elite status bonuses. Have I maxed out? (Of course, now the challenge will be building this itinerary with flights which actually work in real life!!)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
Better doing lax-mia on 777 if you can, or route to JFK in F on AA 3-class aircraft for greater comfort.
I recently flew the LAX-MIA on 777 in 1st. Big yawn. I would fly the JFK-LAX sector instead. Remember that MH joins OW in 2 weeks. You could fly LHR/CDG-KUL on the A380 in first as well as KUL-SYD. I also flew QF in first on the A380 MEL-LAX. Nice, but I'd rather fly on CX or JL in first if you can get the flights. I believe that the CX HKG-HND sectors have 1st class while none of the HKG-NRT sectors have 1st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.