Wiki Posts
Search

'Canadian exception'' for oneworld RTWs ELIMINATED

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
'Canadian exception'' for oneworld RTWs ELIMINATED

I have just been on the phone with a supervisor at the AA RTW desk trying to get my ex-CAI DONE4 rated for ticketing in Canada. He informed me that the exception has been eliminated, effective 1 November. And sure enough, the latest version of the rule sheet, dated 1 November, no longer contains this loophole.

http://www.oneworld.com/oneworld/......rer_1Nov12.pdf

cheers,

Henry

Anybody know a good travel agent in Egypt?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by henry999
I have just been on the phone with a supervisor at the AA RTW desk trying to get my ex-CAI DONE4 rated for ticketing in Canada. He informed me that the exception has been eliminated, effective 1 November. And sure enough, the latest version of the rule sheet, dated 1 November, no longer contains this loophole.

http://www.oneworld.com/oneworld/......rer_1Nov12.pdf

cheers,

Henry

Anybody know a good travel agent in Egypt?
Many of us have used emeco (the AA GSA) for our ex-CAI tickets.
From aa.com:
Code:
Ticket Sales Centers - Egypt 

Cairo 
92A El Tahrir St.
Saridar Complex 5th floor
Suite 65A, Dokki
Cairo, Egypt
202 333 73495 Telephone 
202 333 73499 Reservations
202 3337 1277 Fax
You can also do a search on this forum for additional info.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I have a vague memory of the exception having something to do with meeting Canadian law requirements. OTOH, if it's gone, it's gone.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Maybe it was costing too much and have decided to "pretend" the legal requirement does not exist.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: QFF
Canada isn't going to be too happy with that. It was in there due to Canadian laws...
The within EEC clause is also gone.

"Middle East" has been added to
(k) Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface is considered travelling SWP-Asia-Europe/Middle East through three continents.

They had better damn well fix the online tool then.

I wonder how much business they will lose due to the removal of that exception?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Himeno
Canada isn't going to be too happy with that. It was in there due to Canadian laws...

(k) Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface is considered travelling SWP-Asia-Europe/Middle East through three continents.

If by EEC clause, you are referring to the ECAA (European Common Aviation Area) clause, it's till there. From the rules:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within the European Common Aviation Area (ECAA)/Switzerland.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

I'm guessing this is to account for the eventual QF Australia-DXB-Europe routes.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I'm guessing this is to account for the eventual QF Australia-DXB-Europe routes.
Indeed. We were already getting our hopes up that a xONE3 would be possible. Oneworld continues to try and make this product unusable.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:16 am

Well at least they performed their root cause analysis over the KRT fares effectively (e.g. changing KRT to an appropriately valued USD fare, thereby removing further Sudanese pound currency fluctuations, and at the same time removing the ticketing loophole that allowed these tickets!).
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:47 am
Original Poster

I am in the middle of planning my first xONEx. In the past I have done a fair number of *A RTWs. *A used to have the Canadian exception too. Then, at one point, the entire country-of-origin, country-of-sale wording was dropped from the rules; in 2008 I was able to buy and ticket in Finland an ex-NRT itinerary at the Japanese price. I haven't had occasion to check the *A rules for a while but looking at the latest version now, I see that the country-of-origin, country-of-sale restrictions are back -- but without the Canadian exception.

Makes the whole 'due to Canadian law' explanation (which was my understanding too) kind of empty. Maybe the free-trade modernisers in Canada changed the law?

cheers,

Henry
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Then, at one point, the entire country-of-origin, country-of-sale wording was dropped from the rules
My recollection, from when I was pricing up some *A RTWs back in 2010 does not agree with you. Checking in KVS the current wording (for a CRWSTAR3 ticket) matches my recollection, namely:
WHEN TRAVEL ORIGINATES IN ONE COUNTRY AND THE TICKET IS SOLD IN ANOTHER COUNTRY THE FARE WILL BE THAT APPLICABLE FROM THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN CONVERTED TO THE CURRENCY OF THE COUNTRY OF SALE AT THE BANKERS SELLING RATE.
The important difference between this wording and the wording in Oneworld ticket rules is that *A rules do NOT then go one to state
THE RESULTANT FARE MUST NOT BE LOWER THAN FROM THE COUNTRY OF SALE.

Also, IMHO the wording of the *A rule is much clearer that the wording of the OW rule, which is:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
So for countries that do not have a local currency fare (for example Sth America and some African countries where the fares are published in USD), the conversion does not take place?
And for such fares, the issue of the fare perhaps being lower than in the country of sale does not arise?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:31 am

This is nothing new
I have a copy of the rules from Dec-2007 and most of this rule was there then
In about Nov-2010 the words "/or by surface" were added - see post #119 in this thread

IIRC there has been some discussion* on whether this rule will change when QF starts flying non-stop MEL/SYD-DXB-LHR. It would seem pretty hard to claim this is flying via Asia. But no doubt that's what QF will want
*in the relevant thread in the QF forum; the discussion was more focussed on whether xONE3 fares will be able to include SWP
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:36 am
Original Poster

The important difference between this wording and the wording in Oneworld ticket rules is that *A rules do NOT then go one to state ...
Yes, you're right: it was the 'whichever is higher' clause that was dropped, which obviated the Canadian exception. I just remember being pleased in '08 about being able to get all the ducks in a row while still at home. And as you note, the *A RTW rules still allow that.

cheers,

Henry
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:37 am

On the Canada Exception itself
My earliest (Dec-2007) copy of the rules had these words at the end of Clause 15 - bolded and underlined as shown
Exception: Not applicable for sales made and/or travel originating in Canada
So perhaps that's when they were added to the rules
And in Nov-2012 they were removed
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by uproared
Well at least they performed their root cause analysis over the KRT fares effectively (e.g. changing KRT to an appropriately valued USD fare, thereby removing further Sudanese pound currency fluctuations, and at the same time removing the ticketing loophole that allowed these tickets!).
Are the published fares for Sudan now in USD?

(I can only see such fares by using the KVS tools, and in that I must specify which currency I want the tool to use. AFAIK there is no way to get KVS to show the 'base' currency)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.