Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 7, 12, 10:12 am   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tampere
Programs: BA EC Gold, SK EBG
Posts: 2,638
'Canadian exception'' for oneworld RTWs ELIMINATED

I have just been on the phone with a supervisor at the AA RTW desk trying to get my ex-CAI DONE4 rated for ticketing in Canada. He informed me that the exception has been eliminated, effective 1 November. And sure enough, the latest version of the rule sheet, dated 1 November, no longer contains this loophole.

http://www.oneworld.com/oneworld/......rer_1Nov12.pdf

cheers,

Henry

Anybody know a good travel agent in Egypt?
henry999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 12, 11:00 am   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 7,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry999 View Post
I have just been on the phone with a supervisor at the AA RTW desk trying to get my ex-CAI DONE4 rated for ticketing in Canada. He informed me that the exception has been eliminated, effective 1 November. And sure enough, the latest version of the rule sheet, dated 1 November, no longer contains this loophole.

http://www.oneworld.com/oneworld/......rer_1Nov12.pdf

cheers,

Henry

Anybody know a good travel agent in Egypt?
Many of us have used emeco (the AA GSA) for our ex-CAI tickets.
From aa.com:
Code:
Ticket Sales Centers - Egypt 

 
Cairo 
92A El Tahrir St.
Saridar Complex 5th floor
Suite 65A, Dokki
Cairo, Egypt
202 333 73495 Telephone 
202 333 73499 Reservations
202 3337 1277 Fax
You can also do a search on this forum for additional info.
jerry a. laska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 12, 11:03 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA PLT 3.3 MM & LT PLT, SPG PLT 100 and LT GLD, TG, AC
Posts: 6,326
I have a vague memory of the exception having something to do with meeting Canadian law requirements. OTOH, if it's gone, it's gone.
Dr. HFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 12, 3:02 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG ►NZ*G ►VA WP ►HHD ►IHG G
Posts: 17,215
Maybe it was costing too much and have decided to "pretend" the legal requirement does not exist.
serfty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 12, 5:13 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: QFF
Posts: 4,125
Canada isn't going to be too happy with that. It was in there due to Canadian laws...
The within EEC clause is also gone.

"Middle East" has been added to
(k) Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface is considered travelling SWP-Asia-Europe/Middle East through three continents.

They had better damn well fix the online tool then.

I wonder how much business they will lose due to the removal of that exception?
Himeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 12, 5:24 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 7,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeno View Post
Canada isn't going to be too happy with that. It was in there due to Canadian laws...
The within EEC clause is also gone.

"Middle East" has been added to
(k) Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface is considered travelling SWP-Asia-Europe/Middle East through three continents.

They had better damn well fix the online tool then.

I wonder how much business they will lose due to the removal of that exception?
If by EEC clause, you are referring to the ECAA (European Common Aviation Area) clause, it's till there. From the rules:
Quote:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within the European Common Aviation Area (ECAA)/Switzerland.
jerry a. laska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 12, 5:27 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DRW
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, TK EC, SPG PLT, Marriott GLD, Hilton GLD, Club Carlson GLD, National Exec, DL HM
Posts: 8,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeno View Post
Canada isn't going to be too happy with that. It was in there due to Canadian laws...
The within EEC clause is also gone.

"Middle East" has been added to
(k) Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface is considered travelling SWP-Asia-Europe/Middle East through three continents.

They had better damn well fix the online tool then.

I wonder how much business they will lose due to the removal of that exception?
I'm guessing this is to account for the eventual QF Australia-DXB-Europe routes.
__________________
My pictures on Instagram My Flight Memory The UA Island Hopper meetup thread Next destinationsRW, MEL, SYD, WLG, CHC, SIN, NRT, HNL, GUM, HKG, AKL, PER
TheBOSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 12:34 am   #8
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sydney
Programs: QF WP, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 13,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
I'm guessing this is to account for the eventual QF Australia-DXB-Europe routes.
Indeed. We were already getting our hopes up that a xONE3 would be possible. Oneworld continues to try and make this product unusable.
DownUnderFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 1:16 am   #9
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 323
Well at least they performed their root cause analysis over the KRT fares effectively (e.g. changing KRT to an appropriately valued USD fare, thereby removing further Sudanese pound currency fluctuations, and at the same time removing the ticketing loophole that allowed these tickets!).
uproared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 4:47 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tampere
Programs: BA EC Gold, SK EBG
Posts: 2,638
I am in the middle of planning my first xONEx. In the past I have done a fair number of *A RTWs. *A used to have the Canadian exception too. Then, at one point, the entire country-of-origin, country-of-sale wording was dropped from the rules; in 2008 I was able to buy and ticket in Finland an ex-NRT itinerary at the Japanese price. I haven't had occasion to check the *A rules for a while but looking at the latest version now, I see that the country-of-origin, country-of-sale restrictions are back -- but without the Canadian exception.

Makes the whole 'due to Canadian law' explanation (which was my understanding too) kind of empty. Maybe the free-trade modernisers in Canada changed the law?

cheers,

Henry
henry999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 6:14 am   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PER
Programs: QFF NB, AA PLT, SQ, BD (rip)
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry999 View Post
Then, at one point, the entire country-of-origin, country-of-sale wording was dropped from the rules
My recollection, from when I was pricing up some *A RTWs back in 2010 does not agree with you. Checking in KVS the current wording (for a CRWSTAR3 ticket) matches my recollection, namely:
Quote:
WHEN TRAVEL ORIGINATES IN ONE COUNTRY AND THE TICKET IS SOLD IN ANOTHER COUNTRY THE FARE WILL BE THAT APPLICABLE FROM THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN CONVERTED TO THE CURRENCY OF THE COUNTRY OF SALE AT THE BANKERS SELLING RATE.
The important difference between this wording and the wording in Oneworld ticket rules is that *A rules do NOT then go one to state
Quote:
THE RESULTANT FARE MUST NOT BE LOWER THAN FROM THE COUNTRY OF SALE.


Also, IMHO the wording of the *A rule is much clearer that the wording of the OW rule, which is:
Quote:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
So for countries that do not have a local currency fare (for example Sth America and some African countries where the fares are published in USD), the conversion does not take place?
And for such fares, the issue of the fare perhaps being lower than in the country of sale does not arise?
pandaperth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 6:31 am   #12
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PER
Programs: QFF NB, AA PLT, SQ, BD (rip)
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeno View Post
(k) Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface is considered travelling SWP-Asia-Europe/Middle East through three continents.
This is nothing new
I have a copy of the rules from Dec-2007 and most of this rule was there then
In about Nov-2010 the words "/or by surface" were added - see post #119 in this thread



IIRC there has been some discussion* on whether this rule will change when QF starts flying non-stop MEL/SYD-DXB-LHR. It would seem pretty hard to claim this is flying via Asia. But no doubt that's what QF will want
*in the relevant thread in the QF forum; the discussion was more focussed on whether xONE3 fares will be able to include SWP
pandaperth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 6:36 am   #13
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tampere
Programs: BA EC Gold, SK EBG
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry999
The important difference between this wording and the wording in Oneworld ticket rules is that *A rules do NOT then go one to state ...
Yes, you're right: it was the 'whichever is higher' clause that was dropped, which obviated the Canadian exception. I just remember being pleased in '08 about being able to get all the ducks in a row while still at home. And as you note, the *A RTW rules still allow that.

cheers,

Henry
henry999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 6:37 am   #14
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PER
Programs: QFF NB, AA PLT, SQ, BD (rip)
Posts: 2,026
On the Canada Exception itself
My earliest (Dec-2007) copy of the rules had these words at the end of Clause 15 - bolded and underlined as shown
Quote:
Exception: Not applicable for sales made and/or travel originating in Canada
So perhaps that's when they were added to the rules
And in Nov-2012 they were removed
pandaperth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 12, 6:49 am   #15
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PER
Programs: QFF NB, AA PLT, SQ, BD (rip)
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by uproared View Post
Well at least they performed their root cause analysis over the KRT fares effectively (e.g. changing KRT to an appropriately valued USD fare, thereby removing further Sudanese pound currency fluctuations, and at the same time removing the ticketing loophole that allowed these tickets!).
Are the published fares for Sudan now in USD?

(I can only see such fares by using the KVS tools, and in that I must specify which currency I want the tool to use. AFAIK there is no way to get KVS to show the 'base' currency)
pandaperth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:07 pm.