FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Qantas and Emirates?? Affect on OneWorld? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1371449-qantas-emirates-affect-oneworld.html)

NYCtraveler Jul 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Qantas and Emirates?? Affect on OneWorld?

Hello All:

I read yesterday that Qantas and Emirates are in late stage talks regarding code sharing or even a stronger relationship. Qantas would be able to use Dubai as more of a stopover point.... I am curious what the affect would be if Qantas goes this route? Would they drop out of the One World? Or would this be a "back door" for one world travlers to fly Emirates?

Very interesting. Thoughts?

NYC

YOW_Flyer Jul 28, 2012 1:22 am

Qantas and Emirates?? Affect on OneWorld?

If I remember correctly, emirates has code share agreements with AA and airberlin already. In fact, AA and airberlin allow their FF programs to earn status miles on emirates flights.

If anything, I think this pulls emirates closer into OW.

Himeno Jul 28, 2012 1:59 am

Originally Posted by YOW_Flyer (Post 19016386)
If I remember correctly, emirates has code share agreements with AA and airberlin already. In fact, AA and airberlin allow their FF programs to earn status miles on emirates flights.

The only oneworld member to have codeshares with Emirates (EK) at the moment is JL.
AA, AB/HG, MH, UL and S7 have codeshares with Eithad (EY). QF used to have a codeshare deal with EY, but they had a falling out and EY now has a partnership with QF's local competitor DJ/VA.

YOW_Flyer Jul 28, 2012 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 19016446)

The only oneworld member to have codeshares with Emirates (EK) at the moment is JL.
AA, AB/HG, MH, UL and S7 have codeshares with Eithad (EY). QF used to have a codeshare deal with EY, but they had a falling out and EY now has a partnership with QF's local competitor DJ/VA.

Ahhh...yes, you are right. I was thinking of Etihad! Sorry!

number_6 Jul 28, 2012 2:30 am

If I remember correctly, emirates has code share agreements with AA and airberlin already. In fact, AA and airberlin allow their FF programs to earn status miles on emirates flights. ....

That is incorrect, AA has no arrangement of any sort with EK -- they have it with Gulf Air, a competitor of EK (presumably what you remembered). Similarly AirBerlin are partially owned by Etihad, another EK competitor. Rather ironically it is now possible to become OW Emerald without ever having flown a single mile on a Oneworld airline :) But not by flying EK, at least prior to the QF deal which is still up in the air.

chinatraderjmr Jul 28, 2012 2:52 am

I've discussed this w the head of Skywards. From what he told me Joining any alliance is out of the question. They are happy signing agreements w single airlines that fir their needs. KE (Skyteam) & SA (*A) are very strong partners and are not going anywhere. Dubai has a very close relationship with Australia so I guess QA might make sense as well. As far as American carriers, the legacy carriers don't work for EK (they tried it with both CO & UA. They signed an agreement with AS recently and now Jet Blue as well. From EK's point of view, they already fly to 7 N American cities, 9 by the end of the year & 11 or 12 by the end of 2013 so a tie in or any alliance w a US based carrier w a strong International route network actually works against them. They are looking for partners that will feed their flights to Dubai and that's all

The other big problem is AA has a strong relationship w BA just as UA has a string relationship w LH & AC. These 3 airlines (BA, LH, AC) HATE EK and would like to see laws enacted to cut them down to size. While AA or QF might be free to work with EK, BA will have no part of it

Finally, as it was told to me. The relationship with UA & CO made sense when EK started it as they did not fly to the US and had Limited service to LHR & LGW which was boosted by UA / CO. However, when EK started flying to the US the relationships actually hurt them as well as their all so precious reputation. Both Tim and Achmed have been widely quoted In the local papers here saying they have no need or desire to ever get involved w any alliance nor another American legacy carrier (AA, UA, DL, US)

Due to the very very string relationship between Australia and Dubai, I could see a partnership with QF including reciprocal FF deals. The one thing that makes no sense to me is that EK has carried so many passengers from the UK to Australia, they have really hurt both QF & BA on this very important route. I wonder why EK needs this or why QF would agree to anything. I'll make sure to ask this week when I'm over at the EK offices

bennytma Jul 28, 2012 5:42 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 19016553)
I've discussed this w the head of Skywards. From what he told me Joining any alliance is out of the question. They are happy signing agreements w single airlines that fir their needs. KE (Skyteam) & SA (*A) are very strong partners and are not going anywhere. Dubai has a very close relationship with Australia so I guess QA might make sense as well. As far as American carriers, the legacy carriers don't work for EK (they tried it with both CO & UA. They signed an agreement with AS recently and now Jet Blue as well. From EK's point of view, they already fly to 7 N American cities, 9 by the end of the year & 11 or 12 by the end of 2013 so a tie in or any alliance w a US based carrier w a strong International route network actually works against them. They are looking for partners that will feed their flights to Dubai and that's all

The other big problem is AA has a strong relationship w BA just as UA has a string relationship w LH & AC. These 3 airlines (BA, LH, AC) HATE EK and would like to see laws enacted to cut them down to size. While AA or QA might be free to work with EK, BA will have no part of it

Finally, as it was told to me. The relationship with UA & CO made sense when EK started it as they did not fly to the US and had Limited service to LHR & LGW which was boosted by UA / CO. However, when EK started flying to the US the relationships actually hurt them as well as their all so precious reputation. Both Tim and Achmed have been widely quoted In the local papers here saying they have no need or desire to ever get involved w any alliance nor another American legacy carrier (AA, UA, DL, US)

Due to the very very string relationship between Australia and Dubai, I could see a partnership with QA including reciprocal FF deals. The one thing that makes no sense to me is that EK has carried so many passengers from the UK to Australia, they have really hurt both QA & BA on this very important route. I wonder why EK needs this or why QA would agree to anything. I'll make sure to ask this week when I'm over at the EK offices

I was initially confused by your post but then realized you were using QA for Qantas. QA is Aerocaribe. Qantas is QF.

mecabq Jul 28, 2012 6:52 am

Originally Posted by bennytma (Post 19016971)
I was initially confused by your post but then realized you were using QA for Qantas. QA is Aerocaribe. Qantas is QF.

You were confused, really? Given the title of this thread, and all of the subject of chinatraderjmr's post, was it really unclear whether he meant Aerocaribe or Qantas?

I am also surprised that QF would consider this beneficial. What do they really have to gain? They would start to serve DXB and funnel passengers onward on EK? They would carry passengers onward to regional destinations from EK's Australia destinations? That would presumably hurt QF's appeal to European destinations. I guess, with EK's strength to Australia, they figure, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

ernestnywang Jul 28, 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 19016512)
Rather ironically it is now possible to become OW Emerald without ever having flown a single mile on a Oneworld airline :)

Are you referring to the AB-EK tie-up? There has been AA-AS, BA-EC, QF-JQ, and QF-FJ in place already so I guess nothing new. Don't know if it would ever be possible for CX-CA to have something similar (earn status miles / sector when flying on each other's code) without either changing its respective alliance.

PotNoodle Jul 28, 2012 9:16 am

QF has been in dicussions with EK and apparently QR aswell. I think QR will be better as they have a huge network but are still in the early stages of developing an Australian network and are infact a big threat going forward as they have a significantly better network than Etihad and look how strong EY is in Australia. If QF and EK have an agreement then how could QF fly to Dubai when EK have an already developed network covering all the connecting banks from DXB.

I still see the value in it, QF clearly can not sustain their international network as tag ons are not financially worthwhile and they have a high cost base. Flying to Heathrow and outsourcing the rest makes sense.

As for the effect on OW then I doubt they would be happy, but what could they do? BA would probably end Australia flights (they have said they only fly there to keep their JSA with QF intact as it is a requirement of the agreement) and instead codeshare with CX and MH . They may still codeshare with QF from DXB and I assume QF will still fly to SIN but I highly doubt you will see a BA code on an EK flight. Everything else would be status quo I imagine.

chinatraderjmr Jul 28, 2012 11:19 am

Keep in mind that EK's long term approach to Australia is the same as its plans for Germany and the US. That is to fly into every major hub / city direct from Dubai (non stop and in the case of Australia both non stop and from the 4 largest cities in S.E. Asia (SIN, BKK, KUL & HKG). I dint know much about aviation in Australia but it seems to me EK would be better off either doing nothing (they already fly to every major city in Australia) or if there is a smaller domestic airline they could tie in with (like AS / Jet Blue). I can't see EK sharing their already profitable business from Europe / Asia to Australia w QF. What's in it for them?

Himeno Jul 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Have QF tie up with QR and let EK have TT. :)

moa999 Jul 29, 2012 8:33 am

Neither also has Premium Economy so not a perfect match for QF fares and offerings, albeit BA's PE is not much compared to QF

Kleenlex Sep 5, 2012 7:31 pm

QF is officially going to tie up with EK. I worry that this is not going to make Qatar very happy/ even worse discouraging them from joining OW. Also what's going to happen to OW flyers flying QF code EK metal? I have a feeling that I won't be able to earn status miles toward CX.

Mwenenzi Sep 5, 2012 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kleenlex (Post 19261607)
... Also what's going to happen to OW flyers flying QF code EK metal? I have a feeling that I won't be able to earn status miles toward CX.

Possibly the same as when on QF number (codeshare) on SAA metal Aust to South Africa.
Nothing new in this. OW airlines have codeshares with non OW airlines