Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

AA flights to Sth America not showing

Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, SQ PPSClub, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold, Avis Preferred

Hi,

Newbie to this forum but a regular user of the AONEx fare.

Using the online booking tool, I am trying to include a flight from one of the USA gateways cities (JFK/DFW/MIA) down to Buenos Aires (EZE) and return. Fully aware of the 24hr transit restriction at the USA exit point or vv, but cannot select any of the AA B777 flights in first class around the Dec2013/Jan2014 period from any of these cities or when trying different days in either direction in other months.

I can however select the Lan Argentina (4M) flights that are only offering a "ghetto bird" version of business class, and the airfare validates OK for booking with 4M - but no availability for the numerous AA flights on B777's from/to the US gateways.

Routing is MEL-DXB-LHR-LAX-MIA-EZE-xJFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-SYD-MEL

Am I missing something here?

Was thinking that it was unlikely to be capacity issues this far out given the numerous flights per day in each direction, and only other thing I can think of is > 6 months out might not have those schedules loaded in the OW booking tool (albeit the flights are showing in the separate OW online schedule/ route tool).

Thanks in advance for any possible suggestions.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:56 am

The schedules are loaded, but it seems that AA has not released any A inventory on those flights. I did a quick search for a week in December, and there is no A inventory on any flight from USA to EZE/GRU.
Apparently EZE & GRU are some of AA's best performing routes for paid F, so they may just be holding on to those seats in the hope of actually selling them. It does seem a bit unusual though, to have no A available on so many flights, as A is a revenue fare class, though probably not as good as full F.
There is D inventory available on almost all the AA flights, so you could book Business class and keep monitoring for A in the hope that it becomes available nearer to flight time.
Good luck.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:03 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by born2fish
Hi,

Newbie to this forum but a regular user of the AONEx fare.

Using the online booking tool, I am trying to include a flight from one of the USA gateways cities (JFK/DFW/MIA) down to Buenos Aires (EZE) and return. Fully aware of the 24hr transit restriction at the USA exit point or vv, but cannot select any of the AA B777 flights in first class around the Dec2013/Jan2014 period from any of these cities or when trying different days in either direction in other months.

I can however select the Lan Argentina (4M) flights that are only offering a "ghetto bird" version of business class, and the airfare validates OK for booking with 4M - but no availability for the numerous AA flights on B777's from/to the US gateways.

Routing is MEL-DXB-LHR-LAX-MIA-EZE-xJFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-SYD-MEL

Am I missing something here?

Was thinking that it was unlikely to be capacity issues this far out given the numerous flights per day in each direction, and only other thing I can think of is > 6 months out might not have those schedules loaded in the OW booking tool (albeit the flights are showing in the separate OW online schedule/ route tool).

Thanks in advance for any possible suggestions.
More likely that these routes will be served in reconfigured 772s in which first class is being removed. Only AA's 773s will offer intercontinental FC. There might still be some "old" 3-class 772s flying when you're planning, but it wouldn't be a sure enough thing to put in the timetables.

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/features/ame...widebody-fleet
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, SQ PPSClub, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
More likely that these routes will be served in reconfigured 772s in which first class is being removed. Only AA's 773s will offer intercontinental FC. There might still be some "old" 3-class 772s flying when you're planning, but it wouldn't be a sure enough thing to put in the timetables.

Thanks for the reply - I wasn't aware the 772's were being reconfigured. I'm assuming the Intl Business Class seats will be the same as what is planned for the First Class cabins on the impending AA Transcon A321's which appears to be the same seat as new Cathay Business Class (not the best business class seat, but far from the worst).

Originally Posted by NDFan
The schedules are loaded, but it seems that AA has not released any A inventory on those flights. I did a quick search for a week in December, and there is no A inventory on any flight from USA to EZE/GRU.
Apparently EZE & GRU are some of AA's best performing routes for paid F, so they may just be holding on to those seats in the hope of actually selling them. It does seem a bit unusual though, to have no A available on so many flights, as A is a revenue fare class, though probably not as good as full F.
There is D inventory available on almost all the AA flights, so you could book Business class and keep monitoring for A in the hope that it becomes available nearer to flight time.
Good luck.
OK - appreciate your detailed reply, and just confirms that I should always maintain low expectations when it comes to AA.

My last flight on AA international was a B772 DFW-FRA vv and their First Class product is downright embarrassing - seats were comfortable and roomy enough, but Cabin Crew on both sectors were rude and obnoxious, and blankets appeared to something they picked up from WW2 Army surplus. If AA want to know why people prefer other airlines, they should try out SQ/EK/QF/CX premium cabins. As for domestic USA flights, the VX product and staff are a pleasant change , and I have previously been happy to pay extra outside of AONEx ticket just to avoid AA domestic flights.

Updates to AA fleet next couple of years will be good (albeit long overdue), but there is more to premium travel than just a new seat....
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks to both posters for your replies.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 1:28 pm

With all due respect to the usually very knowledgeable Gardyloo, I don't think the 772 refurbishment is due to start until late this year or even sometime next year.
And if that was the problem, why would AA be selling F on those flights? It's F7 on almost every flight, but A0, including on the 77W flights which definitely will have F.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:24 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
With all due respect to the usually very knowledgeable Gardyloo, I don't think the 772 refurbishment is due to start until late this year or even sometime next year.
And if that was the problem, why would AA be selling F on those flights? It's F7 on almost every flight, but A0, including on the 77W flights which definitely will have F.
Ah, well, I guess checking is better than guessing. I must confess I haven't paid attention to the reconfiguration timeline very closely, but a couple of months ago it seemed that AA was giving out confusing/mixed information about the 772 refurbs.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I don't think that this fully clarifies the issue. AA has pulled all "A" inventory on the JFK to EZE daily nonstop from June 19th on, while still showing P7 F7 for literally every day after that (through to the end of the schedule). I suspect therefore that something else is in play here.... We've all seen cases where all AA MileSAAver award classes are zeroed out on a particular route ---- but this looks very odd for a paid class of service. Hopefully it will be fixed before the OP's journey.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:27 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
When QF first operated their A380 on SYD-LAX, they seriously restricted (or totally removed) A class availability as they banked on selling F class. Its only as as the 380 novelty is over and daily flights operate that QF A class has returned. I expect AA has watched this and is doing something similar.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
When QF first operated their A380 on SYD-LAX, they seriously restricted (or totally removed) A class availability as they banked on selling F class. Its only as as the 380 novelty is over and daily flights operate that QF A class has returned. I expect AA has watched this and is doing something similar.
Good point.

I now remember having the same issue with A fare availability when QF A380 flights started from both MEL & SYD and reservations staff said they were not able to book RTW tickets on the A380.

Next time I flew to LAX I paid full fare for MEL-LAX-MEL but got burnt again by the groundings as a result of the QF32 SIN incident that happened the week I left - and to rub it in my replacement B744ER flight taxied past one of the A380's on the remote stands at LAX and held abeam for a gate placement for about 10 mins just to add insult to injury....

I recently did a RTW with Star Alliance and had to pay extra for A380 sectors in First, but was happy to do that and at least they give the choice to those willing and able to spend extra for their preferred plane.

As a side note, my order of preference of the A380 First products I have tried so far are SQ/EK/QF/LH. Looking forward to trying out the BA A380 on LHR-LAX later this year - for reference, booking class A is available and able to be booked on AONEx fares (well done BA)
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:20 am

AA has only 8 seats in first on their 77W and almost anywhere I've looked they've been very stingy with A. Probably, as noted, they're hoping people will see it as the most wonderful ride in the skies and line up around the block to book paid seats.

What I'm curious about is who imagined they'd be able to fill 60 biz seats. I'll bet that configuration changes as soon as they wear the 'new' off the seats (or the day after the US team arrives to occupy mahogany row.)
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by JohnAx

What I'm curious about is who imagined they'd be able to fill 60 biz seats. I'll bet that configuration changes as soon as they wear the 'new' off the seats
I think it is 52 J seats on the 77W, not 60.
Obviously they are hoping that people will recognise the new seats as vastly improved over the old ones, and will therefore be more likely to pay for them, especially on the premium-heavy routes that the 77W will be flying.
Hopefully there will also be some left over for awards and upgrades!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:14 pm

I think it is 52 J seats on the 77W, not 60.
Obviously they are hoping that people will recognise the new seats as vastly improved over the old ones, and will therefore be more likely to pay for them, especially on the premium-heavy routes that the 77W will be flying.
Hopefully there will also be some left over for awards and upgrades!
Right about 52 seats, of course. I ran out of fingers and toes, or forgot to subtract the two rows of First seats from the 15x4 total.

In any case, as a person who pays his own travel expenses and can't imagine paying full-J prices, I can tell you that for the past couple of years there have been a ton of juicy I-class sales as airlines struggle to attract any kind of a paying butt to those high-demand biz seats. And when lacking a good I fare I stuck myself in coach, only once have I not gotten my $350-plus-miles upgrade (TATL). And "I" is "we", usually a three-some.

I glanced at seating charts for AA136 (LAX-LHR) and AA100 (JFK-LHR) for this Friday and next. Interestingly the LAX flights (old 777) were nearly full in First and Biz and showed good loads in the back; the JFK 77W's were nearly full in First but had about 20 seats unassigned in biz. Looks like plenty of room for upgrades to biz, not so much First. (And AA is being very stingy with A-class offerings on 77W, although part of the 'demand' might be that there are only 8 first-class seats, compared to 16 in the old birds.)
Old Apr 6, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnAx
(And AA is being very stingy with A-class offerings on 77W, although part of the 'demand' might be that there are only 8 first-class seats, compared to 16 in the old birds.)
Well, technically only 15 since 1A is assigned for the Pilot's rest seat..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.